Yukon spools/ring and pinions

-

scampy

Reaction score
Ok so it's time to get a little gear in the rear of our scamp,crossing at 5700rpm with the 3.91 is a bit low to say the least.WE want to get a set up with 4.30 but seems hard to find right now.Yukon has a spool and ring and pinion set for the 4.30 but I have not heard much of them for drag racing so asking anything I need to be worried about with them,we are talking at maybe 10.5 car in an 8 3/4 489 case.also looking at the crush sleeve eliminator but main thing is shold I run away fast from yukon or should be ok.:burnout:

They are on par with most others. If you're not getting Strange, they're all pretty much the same quality and risk in terms of a fast car with an 8 3/4. I wouldn;t worry about using them. Get a good pattern, break them in properly, and have fun.

Moser is another option. Not sure if they are still available thru them but I have a 4.30 489 setup with spool and Moser 35 spline axles. Nice, solid pieces.
http://www.moserengineering.com/

Edit- now that I looked at their website, some of their gear sets are the Richmond brand.

They are on par with most others. If you're not getting Strange, they're all pretty much the same quality and risk in terms of a fast car with an 8 3/4.

Yeah.......billet cap is a nice touch and not difficult to install if you have access to a mill. Bracing the housing is a must.
A heavy car and a hard hit like a brake or stick shift is the undoing of an 8 3/4 .
Look at how much you will have tied up in doing a center.....especially if you brace the housing and add a cap.....the S-60 or similar looks like a pretty good deal then.
Everything I hear says gear deflection due to housing flex is the #1 killer of the 8 3/4. Cap prevents deflection , brace eliminates flex.
If you brace the housing , you will need to pay attention to the lower shock mounts , as the shocks get too close to the brace and will hit on axle rotation on the launch. Notch the brace , stretch the lower mount , move the upper mount or a combination of each will take care of that.
It becomes a real problem if you have moved the axle back at all.

i use a yukon 4.30 in my 3500lbs belvedere bracket car. Over 300 passes and still looks new. Not 10.50 car (7.40s to 7.60s in 1/8mile.), but lots of torque from a 440 that picks the wheels up on launch.

THanks guys,any other opinions on the Yukon stuff.WE did brace the rear for this season and we are foot brake all the way.

TUBTAR is right on with all his (or her) info....Yukon is steller....742 case is the strongest, but most won't agree. I can only tell you from my experience with both 489 and 742 in a Tbrake 3000lb big tire 10 second car

We use Yukon in our 3430lb stock elim Dakota. We only shelled on ring and pinion since 2000. We also have our gears cryo'd, which seems ti help with the longivety.

TUBTAR is right on with all his (or her) info....Yukon is steller....742 case is the strongest, but most won't agree. I can only tell you from my experience with both 489 and 742 in a Tbrake 3000lb big tire 10 second car

He's a he. And though I like little kids and puppies , my feminine side is not all that large. :D
I also use a 742 case , though a crush sleeve eliminator gets the 489 in the neighborhood. My rationale was this......which case did they copy when they did up the aluminum cases ?

ok guys,thanks again!! Pulled the trigger Yukon gear and spool on the way with crush sleeve eliminator and bearings/bolts,the 4.30 I hope wakes this up a bit more than the 3.91

Just avoid Richmond. The last 2 sets,reeked of non maintained machinery. A howl after,proper break in blows.Yes,set up correctly.

-
Back