Zach Attacks Diabetes

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

As many of you may know, my son, Zachary, was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes on August 14 th , 2009. Zach has had a very successful 1 st year living with this disease (requiring 0 trips back to the hospital for any reason). This past June Zach went to ADA (American Diabetes Association) sponsored Diabetes camp for a week, which included swimming, fishing, hiking, zip-lining, horseback riding, etc... He met many new friends and is looking forward to seeing them again at next year’s camp.

Zachary is also a recent recipient of an Insulin Pump, which eliminates the minimum of 4 daily injections, to a single infusion site which is changed every 3 days. This insulin pump is an amazing piece of technology which can deliver insulin in a 1/40 th of unit dosage quantities. These minute doses help prevent the "highs" and "lows" that are dangerous and destructive to diabetics over the course of their lifetime.

Zachary continues to be responsible for checking his blood sugar levels (before each meal, at bed time, and whenever he doesn’t feel "right"). He is also an excellent carbohydrate counter/estimator, which is used in calculating the proper insulin dosage (with and without correction factors).

Last year our family decided to form a team, titled "Zach Attacks Diabetes", to join more than 100,000 fellow walkers from across the country in this year’s Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. This year’s 2 mile walk will take place October 2 nd , 2010 at the Detroit Zoo.

I am asking for your help. By making an on-line donation (100% of these monies go directly to research), on my son Zachary’s behalf, you will be helping the American Diabetes Association provide community-based education programs, protect the rights of people with diabetes and fund critical research for a cure. Please visit www.diabetes.org/stepout and from the main page:
Select the "Donate" tab in the upper right corner:

Enter "Zachary Hall" as the participant:

Select "Hall, Zachary" from the list:

Then select the red box "Click Here to Sponsor Me" (under the photo of him and his sister)

Donate as you wish.

Thank you in advance for any help and support you can provide.

Man, what a great kid Zach sounds like. I'm impressed by his tenacity, drive and his knowledge and handle on his disease. I will gladly donate to the Zach Attacks Diabetes team, and I wish you good luck and a lot of fun on the walk. Give a big hug to Zach from Nella and I!!! Geof

I will try and get something in there for you guys.
I am starting on my fight with cancer as we speak too.

My prayers to you and your family.

Later,
Bruce B.

This thread really hits close to home.My grandma had diabetes,so did my dad(RIP)my aunt has it,so does one of my uncles.:sad7:
My aunt and my uncle through proper diet,insulin and exercise have managed it quite well.My dad and grandma were victims of complications of this disease ,but grandma lived 50 years with it.Ive seen how hard it can be to live with this
and Im really really glad your son is coping with this well and tell him to stay strong and he will beat this.I pray someday they will find a cure for this someday.Prayers are with you and your family and anyone that has diabetes or other diseases.:cheers:

My son is getting ready to turn 17. It's been tough for him. This is one thing I can't tell him how it works.

Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes. Zach is a "helluva" young man. I'm very proud to be his father.

Also, thanks to all who donated. We nearly met our self-imposed goal. Donations can still be made in Zach's name (I believe through October).

Hopefully next year we can beat this year's goal.

Keep a good eye on him it can be controlled.My Cindy is on the pump now has had a big difference for her and me.I feel for ya its a tough road.Cindy is blind in one eye and has some nerve damage but doing well could be worse,not trying to scare ya but its no picnic.Good luck.

that's a part of our life..Keep holdin' on...We can do this..
Be proud that zach is doin well,,brave to face his challenge..
Strong faith,,

-
Back