Zen and the art of electronic ignition

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
My friend Ronnie came by wanting to know about wiring the electronic ignition conversion on his 68 Dart. He had some odd brand of conversion kit with an orange box and the two terminal resistor with the pretty much standard diagram. Apparently he had another friend (a Chevy guy) come by and “help” him with the installation. Unfortunately the good intentions combined with karma, Murphy’s Law and a few other stupernatural forces along the way. No that’s not a spelling error. I text my wife that I’m going to stop by a friends and help him with some wiring and it shouldn’t take long. Big mistake!
The car has a Magnum 360 with Edelbrock heads and a later model transmission that I didn’t even look at with the 3 pin neutral safety switch. Ronnie was telling me that if he wired it one way the starter immediately engaged and another it wouldn’t crank at all. I immediately thought about FABO! How many times do we see posts about starter relays and electronic ignition? “Ok Ronnie, just ground the spade terminal that is parallel to the relay case and do not apply power to it. This will bypass the neutral safety switch since you don’t have that part of the harness yet or the correct switch for the 68.” Ronnie was confused by the fact that that parallel terminal was hot when he turned the key to start. Of course it is, it is being feed by the cockeyed terminal with the yellow wire and must run to ground for the relay to energize! Then it hit me… Mr. Chevy guy didn’t even realize the wiring for everything was already in place! Some of you may not either, especially if you get a diagram with a kit that doesn’t clarify things. The chassis wiring for a points ignition is identical to the electronic two terminal resistor conversion. The negative terminal from the coil goes to the points in the distributor and since we remove the points distributor you now run the black wire with the yellow tracer to the negative coil terminal. The only other wire you need to mess with is to run the blue wire with the yellow tracer to the upstream side of the ballast resistor. This kit already had the distributor leads wired in with the connector so other than customizing the lengths for location of the control module it is a done deal….. So I thought.
12 volts to the ballast input 9 volts coming out, good grounds from the box, engine and chassis. I pull the coil wire and hold it close to the valve cover and have Ronnie crank it. Nothing. So I pull the distributor cap and check the reluctor gap. It looked good but what the heck, I close it up a tiny bit more and with the ignition hot swing the rotor back and forth trying to trigger a spark, still nothing. I should have suspected something by the look of the components at this point. The pickup coil looked like it had medical tape as an outer wrap and the adjustment screw was Philips head. The travel range for adjustment was severely biased towards the reluctor as well. Ok still no spark and I don’t have my diode handy to check the pulse of the distributor so we grab another distributor from somewhere in the shop and plug it in and spin it. Still nothing. Ronnie has another kit so I take the orange box from it and plug it in ground it good and crank it. NOTHING! I’m talking to myself at this point. I know my wiring is good and I’ve tried various components, the coil is new but what the heck. We grab a crusty old faded coil and plug it in just because. I didn’t think the coil was an issue since I had gotten a jolt from the new one we had on when Ronnie turned the ignition off, but at this point what the heck. We crank it again and it looks like maybe we are there but the battery he has in the car is junk and the spark I was getting was just from the pulses of power interruption from the starter pulling off the surface voltage…. CRAP! We get another battery and try it. Another crap battery and no sign of spark from the coil wire. Ronnie finds another battery that has some stuff to it and we put it in. This time the engine turns over with authority but still so spark. I ask Ronnie if he has another module somewhere and in a few seconds he comes back with the panel from an old industrial engine with a chrome box on it. I pull the box off and plug it in to the car and crank it. NOTHING! “Grab me another distributor if you have one”. He comes back with an OEM unit with a little dust on it, I plug it in and spin it. BRRRRAP! Houston we have ignition! I check the rotor indexing and swap out the old for the new. Ronnie runs the fuel pump till the bowls fill up on the holley we pump it a few quirts and crank it. One hard hit and a cough so I back the timing up just a hair, another crank and the engine roars to life. Happy dance! At this point I would love to back track and see just exactly which components would not work in this combination but two hours have gone by and we are both just happy as hell to see it run. All that “junk” you accumulate can sure come in handy!

vbpgimage.php

1...You may have fallen into the "usual trap." No starting 12V. You must make sure the brown wire (original) is hooked to the coil side of the ballast to provide cranking 12V

2...If no results test the system by hot wiring it----hook a jumper wire to provide 12V direct to coil. Don't do this more than necessary

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Make SURE the ECU is grounded!!!

With power to the system, you can test it without the distributor connected by tapping the bare side of the distributor harness connector to ground. This should generate one spark each time

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your possibilities as it seems to me:

1...New ECU not grounded

2...You somehow got a 5 pin ECU which requires a 4 pin resistor

3...The ECU harness connector is flakey, or other wiring is flakey.......distributor connectors are notorious

4....Of course the ECU could actually be defective out of the box

1...You may have fallen into the "usual trap." No starting 12V

2...If no results test the system by hot wiring it

I think the battery had a lot to do with it since the voltage was obviously dropping with the starter engaged but with 12V in run and no spark from a spinning distributor and two different modules...

The orange boxes were 4 pin as was the harness with the kit. The Chrome box is a 5 pin unit and it was the one that worked on the 4 pin harness setup.... go figure.

If the charging system isn't up to par it still might not run good as it could. Closed field alternators and mechanical regulators of 68 are notorious for low voltage.
The modern electronics need a full 12 volts in at all times. Then the ballast resistor lowers running voltage to the coil. Less in equals less out.
Just for the sake of saying... even the wire gauge from ignition switch to engine bay was increased as the need out there was increased.

I've seen that diagram that you showed & it has a yellow wire from the starter relay to the coil positive primary post (that is an error!). the rest is (likely) OK but delete that. A guy said that it is used in "some" apps but it ain't in an A body. the correct yellow wire is from the ign sw "st" terminal to/thru the bulkhead then on to the starter relay "ign" terminal & is hot when cranking & is what engages the SR and therefore starter

The Chrome box is a 5 pin unit and it was the one that worked on the 4 pin harness setup.... go figure.

I've tried to explain this many times. You cannot identify a 4 pin box unless it really does have 4 pins, without doing resistance tests on the "5th" pin. There are many boxes out there which are electrically 4 pin, yet have the 5th physical pin.

-
Back