zinc or not?

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Topic of zinc was brought up the other day.One of the members here uses a zinc additive to his oil.One of the other members has never used it.I have not either.Is it a good idea,not necessary,or doesn't make that much difference.It's just about time to take my car out of hibernation and I think an oil change is at the top of the list for things to do.What say you?8)

If it's a solid lifter engine I have gathered more yes'es use it than I have not to :read2:
and the gas we have know has some thing to do with it to DRENO.
I am going with rotella like the farmers use here in there ol gas tractors :happy10:
I think it was brought up here that it douse have an additive already in it for our leaded gas engine's :read2:

Please jump in and refresh my memory folks.8)

from what I read Rotella has had the zinc levels reduced, new diesels have cat.convertors on them.

I am going with rotella like the farmers use here in there ol gas tractors

from what i have read the zinc has been removed (or at least most of it) from the newer rotella because the newer diesel motors have cat converters on them.

from what i understand from reading a bunch of threads on this, anything with a flat tappet cam should run either oil with good amounts of zinc or an additive. what the good ppm of zinc is i have no idea. it also seems that a more stock engine isn't as affected by the less zinc. its the cars with heavier valve springs that seem to get the worst of it. but i think i would rather be safe then sorry.

I started using nothing but Z-Max in all of our builds about 5 years back and have had absolutely no problems since....no bull......No need for other additives anymore.

My 2 cents from our own experience. :-D

Rottela still has a lot of zinc, not as much as it did a couple years back. IF your running higher spring psi over 130 seat & 330 open i would look for something like brad penn or valvoline racing, or at least a rottela with zinc addative

I see, Thank you for the update and I think DRENO has the stiffer springs if he is talking about his Barracuda :read2:
I better get some additive for my 170/ that is making 401hp :-D
Na :toothy10: that much would twist the ol girl up :toothy10:
Ok I am getting to silly :angry7: sorry DRENO :-D

I started using nothing but Z-Max in all of our builds about 5 years back and have had absolutely no problems since....no bull......No need for other additives anymore.

This is the stuff I could not remember :cheers: Thank you Tom :happy10:

From my research you need 1200 ppm zinc and phosphorus minimum with a flat tappet cam. I'm not up on which non-synthetic oils meet this spec. The Brad Penn does but isn't that 20W50? It seems the higher viscosity oils are better this way and it has something to do with the ratings. Oil formulations do change so you have to check the spec sheets on the current product in question and not go from historic recommendations.

Zinc, yes, why not? Speciality oils made, not for street use, (racing) are exempt from the zinc rules. I run this Valvoline oil with no problem.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/9

hmmm.. where do ya buy that? can ya get it at the local parts store?

i have been using the vr1 and haven't had any problems.

p6.png

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.
  • High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
  • Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
  • Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
  • Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
  • Available through leading auto parts retailers

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

hmmm.. where do ya buy that? can ya get it at the local parts store?

i have been using the vr1 and haven't had any problems.

p6.png

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.
  • High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
  • Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
  • Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
  • Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
  • Available through leading auto parts retailers

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

I like the idea of being safe than being sorry.I'm sure I have the heavier valve springs,but don't think I have a flat tappet cam. The thing is if I go with the oil with the zinc or go with the additive,it should be ok.I like the oil your using. I was told by the guy i bought the car from that the engine builder recommended Rotella.I seem to have a hard time finding it here.

NAPA has it here and at every tractor supply store DRENO, Maybe Canada puled it off the shelves

I like the idea of being safe than being sorry.I'm sure I have the heavier valve springs,but don't think I have a flat tappet cam. The thing is if I go with the oil with the zinc or go with the additive,it should be ok.I like the oil your using. I was told by the guy i bought the car from that the engine builder recommended Rotella.I seem to have a hard time finding it here.

well you either have a roller cam or a flat tappet cam. if ya have a roller then just use the modern oils because thats what they are designed for. the extra zinc is for flat tappet cams.

Hey Dreno, That use to be true before they pulled the zinc out. How old is that advise from him? If you don't have flat tappet you have rollers. Don't you know?

Jim

I have been told that the Shell stations have it. Maybe I will go with the VR1 if I can get it ,lol.8)

Sorry Dreno but the only VR1 I've been able to find in Canada is 20W-50 which is a little thick for starting in cool summer mornings. I run 10W-30 and have to bring it up from the states, NAPA sells it down there. If you know of any geese coming home in the next month have them pick ya up a case, the NAPA # is VAL205 for 10W30.

Hey Dreno, That use to be true before they pulled the zinc out. How old is that advise from him? If you don't have flat tappet you have rollers. Don't you know?

Jim

Bought the car 3 years ago and was givin limited info onthe engine.Don't know if I could find out now or not. As far as engine knowledge goes look at my signature,lol. Limited.

Right from the get go during break in? If so,I think you just converted me. I have never used it.

NAPA has it here and at every tractor supply store DRENO, Maybe Canada puled it off the shelves

Could be Mike. There are zinc supplements still available. I have used a Lucas oil supplement in my cop car and never had a problem.

Sorry Dreno but the only VR1 I've been able to find in Canada is 20W-50 which is a little thick for starting in cool summer mornings. I run 10W-30 and have to bring it up from the states, NAPA sells it down there. If you know of any geese coming home in the next month have them pick ya up a case, the NAPA # is VAL205 for 10W30.

Well we have Napa up here, they don't sell 10W30? I'll keep my eye out for some big assed geese,a case is kinda heavy.8)

-
Back