zinc or not?

-
Could be Mike. There are zinc supplements still available. I have used a Lucas oil supplement in my cop car and never had a problem.

GM dealers are still selling the EOS (engine oil supplement), heavy in zinc, in Canada. I used to use 1/2 a pint bottle with every oil change.

Zinc is a good idea for a hydraulic cam engine,but I think it's mostly the break in period that needs it.

not sure.

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.

* High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
* Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
* Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
* Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
* Available through leading auto parts retailers

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Valvoline® Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor Oil

The advanced racing synthetic trusted by top engine builders and crew chiefs to protect in extreme racing conditions.

* Engineered to deliver maximum horsepower
* High zinc/phosphorus for extreme anti-wear, including flat tappets
* Track-proven to maintain pressure and protect from foaming
* Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
* Available at participating auto parts stores

Zinc is a good idea for a hydraulic cam engine,but I think it's mostly the break in period that needs it.

I think the consensus of engine builders (private and corporate) is if you have a flat tappet engine, hydraulic or solid, you need the zinc package for breakin certainly. Also if you're running any kind of spring pressures from lets say single plus damper or dual springs you need the Zinc forever. The zinc forms a protective barrier between the cam lobe and lifter face but only when the engine is running. Also anything I've read sounds like the minimum zinc package is 1200 PPM.

I think the consensus of engine builders (private and corporate) is if you have a flat tappet engine, hydraulic or solid, you need the zinc package for breakin certainly. Also if you're running any kind of spring pressures from lets say single plus damper or dual springs you need the Zinc forever. The zinc forms a protective barrier between the cam lobe and lifter face but only when the engine is running. Hughes sells a new fangled composite flat faced lifter that they say doesn't require the zinc but heh. Also anything I've read sounds like the minimum zinc package is 1200 PPM.

Yes,this is what I believe as well. Just for kicks I'll start using Zmax in my drivers.

I know which lifter your reffering to.It has a ceramic button on the contact face but the company name eludes me,lol. VERY expensive..

I use motor oil and I have found that motor oil is a great way of not getting any engine damage. lol

With all the variables I see involved when someone flattens a lobe, while taking all these other precautions, I guess it's safe to assume that anytime a flat tappet cam doesnt go flat, it's a miracle. I see a lot of people using STP oil treatment pored right on the cam before startup and that seems to do the trick.

As a sidenote...

Those lifters with the little roller thingy on the bottom....Good Stuff!!! ;)

Hey Dave I have been wondering the same thing...to zinc or not to zinc. When we did the engine last year of course the oil used to coat the cam during the rebiuld has the zinc in it, and some of the guys my dad has talked to say that should be enough unless you plan on racing that car often with high RPMs. I always used Penzoil on my 273 for years without a problem, and the 340 seems to be purring fine for the last two years since it replaced the 273. These guys from Piston ring and other mechanic shops whom my dad has known for years think it is not necessary....but I am still wondering.

-
Back