‘65 273-4bbl Fuel line routing ?

-

moper

Reaction score
Question for the ‘65 gurus... what’s the correct route of the steel fuel line from the pump to carb? I have the stamped steel alternator bracket setup with a small clip on the bolt for the lower slide. Does the steel line run in front of the bracket, through the clip, then up and over the water pump and timing cover? Pics might help me...lol

Goes behind the Alt bracket. Let me look for a better picture....

004.jpg

Thanks Tim. Where is the fuel filter? Reason I ask is I see them all up top even on what look like original type cars...

I put the filter lower because I used an electric pump. under the car.

20170128_7.jpg

I used a filter with a bypass line built in to get a return line back to tank....
BF930__61477.1490580019.1280.1280.jpg

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpMdUI8SOBsJZwvje61zDePEIFDfq5rWLVMVfmGOuEgP8HQPqiVMlFSchWTZs&usqp=CAc.jpg

Not sure if it would be the same on a 65 but a few years ago I bought a one owner barn find 66 signet everything under the hood seemed to be pretty much untouched.. The metal line came up through on of those small holes in the bracket and the dip stick thru the other one. Not sure it was originally that way but it sure seemed to be.. Sorry I don't have pics

IMG_0246.JPG
That's the way my 66 Barracuda is it comes up through a hole in the top alternator bracket and the filter was in between the steel line from fuel pump to carburetor. Here's a picture

OK - Thanks Detroit and others. That last pic is what I thought it was, and there is a small clip that goes on the bolt right where it turns to pass the water pump pulley. I know the newer models it's under the alternator but this early bracket made that a weird deal to fit under it...
Thanks All!

Good picture, except.... the 1965 273 routed the spark plug wires through grommets attached to tabs on the valve covers.
The fuel line routing is correct.

Yeah, good point. Where are the tabs on the valve covers???
They are raised fins/tabs with slots for the grommets. They are a part of the chrome fins on top of the valve covers and are raised in the outside fin/s. They are absent in the photo. The 1966's also had them, so this may be a 1964 engine.

They are raised fins/tabs with slots for the grommets. They are a part of the chrome fins on top of the valve covers and are raised in the outside fin/s. They are absent in the photo. The 1966's also had them, so this may be a 1964 engine.
I think they were just omitted from the drawing. Commando motors were '65-'67.

2058_1965_Dodge_Full_Line-07_low_res.jpg
That engine is drawn by a artist for a brochure. Something like "What's new for 65" or the like.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the stock filters were located under the alternator bracket.
In the later unleaded fuel builds ( 73 I think ), the fuel filters were completely vertical and beside the timing cover. That fuel line routing change began at the position of the outlet on the fuel pump.

The factory artwork is probably a pre-production image. The gist is right - but there is/was a small retainer that holds the line clear of the pump body and pulleys. I haven't got this one running yet, but here's how I ended up running the feed line on this one - with that little bracket the artwork omits...

IMG_2218.JPG

The factory artwork is probably a pre-production image. The gist is right - but there is/was a small retainer that holds the line clear of the pump body and pulleys. I haven't got this one running yet, but here's how I ended up running the feed line on this one - with that little bracket the artwork omits...

View attachment 1715142159
I think a/c cars were routed differently

-
Back