‘67 Formula S 273 balancer wheel and belt pulleys

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
4250EBB0-E52B-4753-804C-9A641D728798.jpeg
F1F98BD2-BC7D-4447-8443-4100D6B944F1.jpeg
Got to admit, I never paid attention to this before, but this is the “most unique” setup I have seen. Is this normal?

New Mexico car. Every time I take ANYTHING off this car, one acre of New Mexico falls out/off . When I pulled the speaker out of the dash, it had about 1.5 inches of red sandy clay in it.

Did the car have AC? I believe that's an isolation pulley for the AC compressor. 65'

No AC at this time. The current 318 came out of a wrecking yard. It has a mishmash of 273 and 318 stuff, the throttle linkage was modded for a 2bbl, and the kickdown linkage from the 904 simply vanished.

Wife wants AC at some time in the future, so the pulleys will go on the “new” 318. Thanks for the info.

New Mexico car. Every time I take ANYTHING off this car, one acre of New Mexico falls out/off . When I pulled the speaker out of the dash, it had about 1.5 inches of red sandy clay in it.
Flood car

Nope, New Mexico dust storms getting past convertible top and seals. I’ve dealt with some old flood vehicles and their dirt issues were different. None of the red sandy clay is packed or cemented.

No AC at this time. The current 318 came out of a wrecking yard. It has a mishmash of 273 and 318 stuff, the throttle linkage was modded for a 2bbl, and the kickdown linkage from the 904 simply vanished.

Wife wants AC at some time in the future, so the pulleys will go on the “new” 318. Thanks for the info.
I’ve got a nice set if you’re looking to replace them.

Jake

Yep, that a/c pulley is a vibration damper in design. I don't know if the compumper operation resonated through the car or the damper just absorbed some drive belt bounce.
Everything was engineered base model back then. A single belt for alt' and water pump. The power steering pulley would be added on, then a/c pulley added on.
If you have timing cover, water pump, all this accessory and drive belt stuff on the 78 model engine, you'll notice its all quite different. Power steering is 1st belt, that pump re-positioned ( lower ). Then a matched set of belts drive alt' and a/c. Timing scale and lower water hose on opposite sides. I think all the earlier stuff will bolt onto the 78 model block. Good luck with it.

There are two different bolt patterns for the damper/pulley, symmetrical and non-symmetrical...

If yours don't match up, you can cheat it... Take the damper off and try to line up as many bolt holes on the pulley to the damper as you can... 5 out of 6 will line up... Then mark the one that doesn't line up and grind the hole to be oval so the bolt will fit... It also helps to mark the pulley and damper when you match up the 5 out of 6 holes so you can get it lined back up again later.... Make sure to use a washer on that hole especially when you get it modified to fit and install it....

Yep, that a/c pulley is a vibration damper in design. I don't know if the compumper operation resonated through the car or the damper just absorbed some drive belt bounce.
That sounds right. The newer compressors don't have the same design so I bet a new one would would be OK with a solid drive pulley. And I'd have to wonder if that rubber is reliable anymore.

4E3593C5-6C5A-47AF-B1CE-95CB853A00B4.jpeg
7A04B7C3-9772-4A21-B4BE-AB6FF54ADC24.jpeg
After reading everyone’s comments, I started digging into the box of parts that were included with the car and I found a “2 belt” pulley. What a weight difference. Guess I’ll use it.

-
Back