“D” code 340 in 69’ Cuda?

-
didn't the pan rail location start in 1969 model year.

A 68 model year should be stamped on the bellhousing area.

Yes it would be, but if this is a factory replacement block or short block it would not be stamped anywhere...
So the number on the front of the engine has no indication of the body VIN whatsoever? Just out of curiosity is the secondary number just a partial VIN or is it a combination of engine size, build date and VIN??

Not finding any drilled holes near the freeze plugs but I did notice something quite interesting. I got this engine and car from the second owner and he was very insistent on keeping them paired, that and the transmission. In fact, it was his dying wish or I never would have gotten it from him. I received the engine from him with a fresh rebuild, slightly beefed up cam etc. i was looking down the spark plug holes and noticed it has been oversized .030 with new pistons but there is also another number, 1096 not sure I’ve ever seen this before on an oversize here’s the best pics I could get thru the spark plug

6AF7E140-BFCE-4EC7-9A2A-2C0D9AC93453.jpeg

80F5EF1C-02DF-47BE-8088-118549008CC8.jpeg

3B421E95-E3BF-4754-A873-D57262472169.jpeg

So the number on the front of the engine has no indication of the body VIN whatsoever? Just out of curiosity is the secondary number just a partial VIN or is it a combination of engine size, build date and VIN??

Correct. See the article and discussion from @krazykuda
How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

The number stamped on the small block on the front of the block just below the driver's side head is the information from the engine assembly plant that built the engine...

The VIN number of the car that it was built with is on the flat spot on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan and the factory stamps that on when they install it in the car/truck... The VIN numbers on the blocks can be whole or just the last 8 digits of the VIN depending on what year the engine is...

A warranty/replacement/service engine will have the engine assembly plant information stamped on the front of the block below the left head, but no number on the flat pad above the oil pan on the passenger side because it wasn't installed in a factory.....

The number stamped on the small block on the front of the block just below the driver's side head is the information from the engine assembly plant that built the engine...

The VIN number of the car that it was built with is on the flat spot on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan and the factory stamps that on when they install it in the car/truck... The VIN numbers on the blocks can be whole or just the last 8 digits of the VIN depending on what year the engine is...

A warranty/replacement/service engine will have the engine assembly plant information stamped on the front of the block below the left head, but no number on the flat pad above the oil pan on the passenger side because it wasn't installed in a factory.....

that explains a couple things, is it possible/normal that the replacement engine would be an earlier year? Also because the engine is a 67 there is no machined pad near the oil pan rail.

that explains a couple things, is it possible/normal that the replacement engine would be an earlier year? Also because the engine is a 67 there is no machined pad near the oil pan rail.

Yes, who knows how long it sat in a warehouse before a dealer ordered it...

No number anywhere on or near the bellhousing

THere is no numbers on or near the bellhousing...

The engine factory information is stamped on the front of the block just under the driver's head...

The VIN of the vehicle is stamped on the flat spot on the front of the block on the passenger side just above the oil pan....

THere is no numbers on or near the bellhousing...

The engine factory information is stamped on the front of the block just under the driver's head...

The VIN of the vehicle is stamped on the flat spot on the front of the block on the passenger side just above the oil pan....

If you take a gander at a couple of pics I’ve posted you will see that there is no machined pad near the oil pan the only numbers that have been stamped are the ones near the head nowhere else

Well I’m slowly but surely getting closer to dropping this mystery 340 into the cuda, just about finished up fabrication of the engine mount brackets just need to drill holes and paint

56480AC8-3D40-4538-B35D-AD0431F15ACA.jpeg

-
Back