08 truck 5.7 in an a body

-
You don't have to delete the mds if the motor is stock or mild cam, just disconnect it. Bigger cams it has to go. You gotta pulls the heads to swap lifters is what I've read but haven't actually done. I put a mild cam in mine and just disconnected it.

The truck front cover is much easier for accessory clearance against the frame rail and also for belt routing with deleting ac/ps. However, the look of the truck intake isn't as desirable... The intakes won't straight swap, the front cover gets in the way of the throttle body. Somebody on FABO built a conversion bracket for car intake with a truck front cover, but I don't remember the details. It relocated the alt I believe.

In 09 I think they all went to the same intake/cover, but that is when vvt came into play also I believe.

You can use adapter/spacer on an Eagle car intake to clear to I think.

I was under the impression that only 6.1s had no mds on the earlier car stuff, I thought some trucks didn't have it. I don't know about the 09 and later stuff though.

Joe

This is a bit older info, but has a lot of the differences in the 5.7/6.1 stuff. It may be of help... Page 14 has a mds list.

[ame]http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Content/Site302/Articles/03_01_2009/46568ChryslerHe_00000019776.pdf[/ame]

08 Challenger 5.7L did not have MDS or VVT so there is a good choice if you can find a wrecked one. Not sure if they made a RAM 5.7L Manual if they did it would not have MDS either. Other then that you can shut of MDS with either changing the 4 sets of lifters or just disconnect it and shut it off in the tune.

may i ask why you want to get rid of the mds? this is suppose to shut cylinders off why you are driving down the road and save gas. in other words our 06 dodge ram had it and it would get almost 23 miles to the gallon, my brother in law had a 2500 5.7 06 with out the mds and was getting 16 miles to the gallon. what are you planning on doing. i know you have to dis able the security. and to get ride of the mds there are four plugs in the valley that need to be changed that control the oil to those lifters. hope this helps

I am new to using forums and not too good at finding what I'm looking for on the web.
I have a 66 Barracuda and a 5.7 out of a Durango I want to put in it. Does anyone make a kit to do this install easily and to adapt all the original gages to the modern engine is also like to use a modern 6 speed transmission. Can any one point me in the direction of a plug and play setup? Thanks

TTI engine mounts and headers, hotwireauto.com harness, diablo for a hand held tuner.

I am new to using forums and not too good at finding what I'm looking for on the web.
I have a 66 Barracuda and a 5.7 out of a Durango I want to put in it. Does anyone make a kit to do this install easily and to adapt all the original gages to the modern engine is also like to use a modern 6 speed transmission. Can any one point me in the direction of a plug and play setup? Thanks

It's gotten a lot closer to a bolt in setup than it was several years ago when I first did my swap, but there's still some slightly custom work involved depending on the direction you want to go. If you get all the wiring and computer with the engine you can use a factory computer somewhat easily, though there are now a few full aftermarket setups out there to compete. Megasquirt now has a plug and play box, but the tuning several find a little daunting. It comes with a base tune that should work fine on a stock engine and get you going, but any mods and you'd likely have to retune. The plus side of that is all you need to tune is a computer, no added software or handheld cost.

As far as transmissions, are you talking auto or manual 6 speed? There's no direct bolt in for either of those at this time to my knowledge. I just swapped a T56 from a Viper into my car, but had to whack the tunnel out and redo it along with making a new rear crossmember section. I think some of the autos go in with slightly less cutting, but you can just about bet any 6 speed upgrade will involve some surgery.

We specializ in doing Hemi conversion and we have complete solutions for just about everything. Give us a call we will be glad to point you in the right direction,

Um, Dave? Is that you? Certainly YOU know there were NO '08 5.7 Challengers. Only 6.1 SRTs.

OP, the LX cars had MDS right from the start. Trucks did not. Trucks got it in '06, except 3/4 ton and up. They did make the 3/4 ton 5.7 with manual trans. An '05 1500 Ram 5.7 would be one of the easiest, as it has good clearance between the frame rails on your car; accessories are up high. Just doesn't look quite as attractive under the hood, but there's been some very nice conversions with the truck engine.

08 Challenger 5.7L did not have MDS or VVT so there is a good choice if you can find a wrecked one. Not sure if they made a RAM 5.7L Manual if they did it would not have MDS either. Other then that you can shut of MDS with either changing the 4 sets of lifters or just disconnect it and shut it off in the tune.

Um, Dave? Is that you? Certainly YOU know there were NO '08 5.7 Challengers. Only 6.1 SRTs.

OP, the LX cars had MDS right from the start. Trucks did not. Trucks got it in '06, except 3/4 ton and up. They did make the 3/4 ton 5.7 with manual trans. An '05 1500 Ram 5.7 would be one of the easiest, as it has good clearance between the frame rails on your car; accessories are up high. Just doesn't look quite as attractive under the hood, but there's been some very nice conversions with the truck engine.

You are correct sorry I was just fixated on the MDS part LOL

Thanks everybody
Sorry I didn't specify that I want to use a manual 6 speed...any suggestions on which one to choos

Best thing about using a truck motor is that they are quite a bit cheaper than the car motors. For some reason 5.7L car motors are typically in the over $2,000 category while truck motors can be found for under 2000.00.

6.1L and 6.4L Hemis are quite a bit more. Though 6.4L truck Hemis MIGHT eventually be a bit cheaper. Though at this time they are brand new so I can't see them being any cheaper than an older 6.1L Hemi.

66hemifish,
At this time any six speed you choose will require significant floor surgery including modification to the trans cross member and tunnel surgery. Of the builds I've seen online the quality of the finished project ranges from clean surgery to Frankenstein-esque.

Quicktime (now owned by lakewood) makes a bell-housing that will allow either a Chevy T56 or Viper T56 to bolt up to a Gen III Hemi. Simply buy the appropriate flywheel, clutch assembly, and remove a ring on the end of the crank and install a bushing for the input shaft. Obviously your best bet would be to find a Hemi engine with a six speed attached as a single unit. These are rare to say the least.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

02-05 ram 5.7 no mds
06-08 ram 5.7 has mds,
09- current ram 5.7 vv timing

08 challenger SRT only no mds
04 - current 300 charger,magnum, has mds not sure about 5.7 jeep

srt 6.1 no mds,,
2011 till current srt 6.4 mds automatic only

msd makes a box to use in a older car/truck/street rod that allows you to use the factory fuel injection, and a simple hook up instead of useing the factory computer they also have an engine bay wiring harness,,,

hot wires can re work your factory engine bay wiring harness from the donor vehicle to a 4 wire hook up,,,they were working on a wiring conversion to use an mds motor in an older vehicle i dont know if they ever got it figured out

Map63vette what bell housing did you use

Sorry for the highly delayed response, but I used a Quicktime bellhousing. You use the standard LA smallblock one to a T56, not the 5.7 Hemi one as it uses the larger diameter ring gear and passenger side mounted started. I had to whack a lot of the tunnel to fit even the small bellhousing, so I can't imagine how much might have to come out for the larger ring gear version. Plus you'd need a coilover setup or something to fit a passenger side starter.

-
Back