$1,500 Crate Motor?

-

perko

Reaction score
Look for some place that charges more than just the amount for cleanup and parts.

I got one from these guys last year, CME Crate Engines. Not the cheapest but very happy 300+ hp. Fired right up and no leaks or issues at this time.
www.cmengines.com

Yeah, I think its probably a better bet for me to rebuild my tired 318 with real parts. At least if something gets screwed up i know who to blame. This was more of a public service announcement, the BBB got a lot of complaints.

I would be much "happier" using the closest, cheapest shop with the crappiest equipment and having a face to attack when it failed, than go the crate engine route and have nobody to point a finger at when the inevitable problems arrise. You have to pay for quality. Period. Any good builder can build an engine and ship it away in a crate. Somewhere along the line the idea of a good engine in a crate also had to be cheap.
Rebuild yours, or pony up and get a good one for a fair price (bearing in mind the shop deserves to make money).

What is the cheapest rebuild? Lets say your block "only" needs $400 for machine work. And the crankshaft needs attention. And $300 for pistons. and $200 for a cam and timing set. The rods need attention and new bearings. Lots of gaskets and other items like freeze plugs and bolts. We didnt even mention having the heads done. See where this is going? $1500 engines are exactly that- $1500 engines.

Tried telling this exact thing to a guy last night who insisted that he could rebuild his engine for a grand. I told him he was dreaming and that I myself doing the majority of work except bore/hone, grind crank and balance the assembly couldn't do it for that.

The. Of course a chorus of idiots chimed in and agreed. I paid the low level broom pushers idiots no mind and and dared them to the challenge.... Which they all became squirmy and cried excuses. OH wait! Like Chevy guys do when they loose!

Build it right and build it once! Use quality parts!
Or do it twice!

Tried telling this exact thing to a guy last night who insisted that he could rebuild his engine for a grand. I told him he was dreaming and that I myself doing the majority of work except bore/hone, grind crank and balance the assembly couldn't do it for that.

The. Of course a chorus of idiots chimed in and agreed. I paid the low level broom pushers idiots no mind and and dared them to the challenge.... Which they all became squirmy and cried excuses. OH wait! Like Chevy guys do when they loose!

Build it right and build it once! Use quality parts!
Or do it twice!

Come on now be nice some of my best friends are Chevy guys LOL.. and one of the BEST engine builders out there a close friend of mine is a Chevy guy too..

I wouldn't touch a crate engine mainly because the engine guys i use are all within a 40 minute drive and if anything goes wrong..which (knock on wood) hasn't the problem will be corrected in a timely manner..who knows who is putting a crate(crap) engines together..

Depends on what "rebuild" means to each person. Yes, I've done the typical "rings, bearings, oil pump, timing chain, valve job, freeze plugs and gaskets for about 500-600 bucks starting with a good core and using a drill to hone. Never had one come apart either. But some call a rebuild "new pistons, cam & lifters, machined aligned honed, new heads, etc etc., and it can get as expensive as you want. Personally, I would just buy a good running 318 magnum for about 300.00, and rebuild nothing. Once you have the intake & oil pan, you jump from magnum to magnum to magnum.... if you can wear the first one out... lol

I'm $1200 into a mag, balance, line hone, measure and cut/true decks, cylinders honed, and crank polish. that's just the block work and nothing really special.

No way for $1200 are you getting a "performance" oriented engine, even as a short block.

Are you in Seaside Oregon?

I cannot and will NOT,RE-build, Re-Machine and assemble a shortblock for $1500.00. I send customers asking for such to other shops. J.Rob

Side note, where do yall think are some good places to get affordable mild crate motors?

There are several members on the board here that do engines. Personally I've seen too many issues with off the shelf "crate" engines over the years, too many unknowns. I've personally dealt with Mike at MRL performance, he also does turn key engines beyond the custom work. Good individual to deal with.

As far as the link you posted, and I'm not defending them, they say remanufactured. The world I work in a remanufactured component is gone thru and speced out, if the part is within spec by even just a .001" it's considered serviceable technically. Overhauled is brought to new specs. I know the op was being a bit sarcastic. But it's amazing what people will fly on.

I cannot and will NOT,RE-build, Re-Machine and assemble a shortblock for $1500.00. I send customers asking for such to other shops. J.Rob

Call me stupid but I think you are greedy! Like 1500.00 is a little amount? REALLY! Mopar Tim.:burnout: For a short block? Not everyone is racing there Mopars.

Call me stupid but I think you are greedy! Like 1500.00 is a little amount? REALLY! Mopar Tim.:burnout: For a short block? Not everyone is racing there Mopars.

Call me intuitive but I think you would be one I'd send to a "cheaper" shop. Fairly certain you would receive an expanded education on the term "value". J.Rob

What Tim may also be missing is location of pricing.
What one shop can do for *** another shop in another state would ether grow rich on or go broke on.

A lot also depends on what parts are being used. In the above post I mentioned a co-workers pipe dream of a full engine rebuild for 1K. God bless you if you can send your stuff out to a sho and get a full engine back for that price.

Much less one with quality performance parts within.

I'd like to see your bill receipt Tim.
RAMM isn't greedy. He just in one of the highest taxes states and highest prices areas to live in. He ain't getting rich.

I hear you 318willrun, but he is talking about a crate engine. I.e. machined, rebuilt long block, intake, minus carb and distributor. For $1500. Is the sellers name Justin?

wonder what he plans on using it for?????? Occasional cruising to the DQ?? Or, is he going to spray it with a 200 shot??? Hmmmmm

Call me intuitive but I think you would be one I'd send to a "cheaper" shop. Fairly certain you would receive an expanded education on the term "value". J.Rob

I have built and ran a 1200 HP Small block chevy. So I DO know that speed costs. But there is a place for those 1500 dollar short blocks. FYI engine was in a mini rod pulling tractor. Bounty Hunter Two. Jewell Brothers. Guys looking to build to get the most HP and torque they can out of a setup, of course 1500 is ridiculous. AND as far as 1500 for a LONG block? wont be much good except to get groceries. Regrind Cam, used rockers, But get what you pay for. And I should not have said you were greedy sorry. Im sure you make top quality engines. Mopar Tim.

I rebuilt my 340 last year for my blower setup. I did it as cheap as I could and still put in quality parts.
New forged pistons - $125
New Rings - $80
New bearings - $110
New Eagle H-beams - $125
New custom cam - $325
Machine work on block and heads - $1800

I waited and waited to buy the parts that cheap. Jumped on the deals when they came along.

I assembled the engine myself and I cannot believe anybody could do a quality build any cheaper. It took me 2 years to collect the parts that cheap.

Jack

If I didn't build my own motor and I wanted a smallblock , I would get a crate motor from Hensley. you can't beat 410 hp 360 for 4,200 bucks !

Jack, -not everybody can wait 2 years for fire sale parts on the internet to build an engine. I have seen some unbelievable prices for parts, people lose jobs and things get sold for peanuts. Still, thats a heck of a crazy plan for building an engine.

Jack, -not everybody can wait 2 years for fire sale parts on the internet to build an engine. I have seen some unbelievable prices for parts, people lose jobs and things get sold for peanuts. Still, thats a heck of a crazy plan for building an engine.

It all comes down to having a plan and some patience. You do have to scour the ads everyday though. LOL

Jack

Well, lots of people are looking at them today/now. (Just "looking". Neither good nor bad.)

View Business Review Inquiries

S & J Engines, Inc. has had their Business Review viewed 315 time(s) over the last 30 days. Click to view where these inquiries originated.

I waited years to collect my 6 pack parts. The buy it now prices advertised at some shops soar a live $2500. Waiting for "The Deal" is an art! LOL! But if you have time, it pays.
Total for my 6 pack? Approx. $1000. The carbs were found at a going out of biz/get it the hell outta here sale. All 3 carbs costed me under $700. Some places sell the center for over $700.

-
Back