1 to 2 barrel swap

-

74darts

Reaction score
Alright guys, i have a 74 dart sport with a rebuilt 225 in it. Its got that crappy 1 barrel on it and its not reliable (doesn't start every time, floods a lot). i have a super six intake and i was wondering if i can just put it on and put a 2 barrel carb on or if there's a different linkage i have to get for it?

Your stock throttle cable will work fine. You can't use the original cable bracket as it orients in the wrong direction. I have Super Six throttle brackets for $25 each..PM me if you need one.

I have seen some recomend a late 60's 318 2bbl carb. They don't have all of the emission stuff on them.

i put 63 318 carb on a 64 / 6 in 1975. was a big job but worth the trouble. i welded a plate to the stock intake. i do NOT recommend welding. the center ports moved from the weld heat. best to machine the 1 bbl riser flat to rest of manifold. and make plate and bolt it on with countersunck screws. and make the carb throttle shaft face front to back. NOT like chrysler did. 90 degrees to the crank. my setup was easy cause it was a stick shift. the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the carb linkage does NOT stick at wide open. if you over rev a stock chrysler engine it will break the piston lands. my gain was very good. but a smog engine might not gain as much as mine. the cam is very important.

i may take you up on that offer but it will be a week or two. Is the 2 barrel more reliable? also, will it add any power? take some gas mileage?

Why not just rebuild the 1bbl? And/Or get the choke system bugged out? Maybe then a new set of plugs. Chances are that after you get the 2bbl all hooked up, it will require a rebuild too.

i theory the 2 bbl will get better MPG cause the air speed in each bore is higher mixing the air and fuel better. and the 2 bbl has better design fuel circuits. my 64 225 gained 10-20 HP with a 2 bbl, on that engine it is a lot. the 1 bbl on the / 6 and 2 bbl on the 318 have 2 screws that go from the top casting thread into the bottom casting. be sure to NOT over tighten them. that will cause the casting to warp. on the 2 bbl set the float level to 1/4". from the top of the float to the top of fuel bowel casting.

I converted my scamps 198 to the Super six setup responsiveness and mpg increased. I get about 22 mpg in town with the 2bbl and Pertronix ignition versus the 15 I was getting with the 1bbl. The only issue I ran into with the swap was finding the kickdown linkage for an automatic. I did find it but I think the body styles made a difference in length of the rod so I ditched it and swapped to the Lokar cable setup instead. Works great. Also the stock super six air cleaner just fits under the hood.

Keep in mind that the complete Supersix setup involves a large exhaust; some of the MPG gains comes from that and the better breathing and resulting efficiency.

-
Back