10 1/2" bellhousing

-

340sixpak

Reaction score
This is my first post. I am wondering if a 1972 10 1/2" bellhousing will fit in my 66 Barracuda?
I would like to convert the column shift auto (273 v8) to A833 4spd to my 340. Brewers lists a 9 1/2" bellhousing for the 65-66 A body. I found this 72 bellhousing and 4spd for sale locally.
Thanks

You're gonna have to make some mods, but yes, you can make it fit. You're probably gonna have to shorten the Z bar at the very least. Why not just use a 10" clutch and pressure plate? The pressure plates are a little hard to find, but still out there and the clutch discs are readily available. Those will both work with the smaller 9.5" flywheel and you will not have to change anything else. The pressure plate part number is CA 1525. It is a scalloped 10" pressure plate that will bolt right onto the 122 tooth slant 6 and 273 flywheels.

A different bellhousing may/will require the correct diameter bearing retainer on the 833. Brewer can help with that also.

Thanks. I just returned that belhousing so I'm back to square one. So, I'm looking for an A833 4spd for my 66 Barracuda. It had a 273 and I'll be installing a 340. I'll need the whole setup and so I'll contact Brewers. I called them previously and only asked them about the 4sod and they won't have any until Spring.

No mods needed to go 10.5” in an early a-body if you get the parts from Brewers, they have a 10.5” early-a conversion that bolts right in and works awesome...I have it in my 66. I also went with a stock flywheel and a Centerforce II clutch disc and pressure plate kit, absolutely awesome on the street and shifts so nice and smooth, and not too much pedal pressure either.

Where are you located?

No mods needed to go 10.5” in an early a-body if you get the parts from Brewers, they have a 10.5” early-a conversion that bolts right in and works awesome...I have it in my 66. I also went with a stock flywheel and a Centerforce II clutch disc and pressure plate kit, absolutely awesome on the street and shifts so nice and smooth, and not too much pedal pressure either.

Where are you located?
No mods needed if you use Brewer's mods. lol

A different bellhousing may/will require the correct diameter bearing retainer on the 833. Brewer can help with that also.

Bearing retainer on the a-body trans is the same for 9 1/2” and 10.5” unless you have a later overdrive trans that has a larger bearing retainer

well, pretty much LOL....I just meant no fabrication, welding, or beating stuff with a hammer, it all just bolts in :D
I know...I was pokin the stick. Brewer's has some nice options for sure.

Where are you located?

I'm in Duluth, MN Thanks for your help. I've got a line on a A833 4spd, with the bellowing, that came out of dart. Not sure about the price.

Where are you located?
I picked up an A833 4spd( A body tailhousing) and bellhousing (p/n 2892482) yesterday. They are 1969 and were installed in a dart. I went to Brewers website and didn't see the early A body bellhousing in 10 1/2" . I was wondering which bellhousing you have and if the one I got yesterday will fit in my 66 Barracuda? My car is being restored in a shop near Otsego, MN and I'm in Duluth,MN. I'm trying to do some of the legwork so when he goes to install the different drivetrain, we won't run into fit issues. I do plan on calling Brewers tomorrow.

I went to Brewers website and didn't see the early A body bellhousing in 10 1/2" .
Since no early A ('66 and earlier) ever came with a 10.5" clutch/bellhousing, you need the conversion linkage (torque shaft/Z bar) that is referred to above in order to make the later bellhousing work. It will fit and function just fine with the right parts- depending on what, if any, linkage parts you got with your trans and bellhousing. Brewer's will set you up.

Since no early A ('66 and earlier) ever came with a 10.5" clutch/bellhousing, you need the conversion linkage (torque shaft/Z bar) that is referred to above in order to make the later bellhousing work. It will fit and function just fine with the right parts- depending on what, if any, linkage parts you got with your trans and bellhousing. Brewer's will set you up.
Thanks. My restoration guy want to put in a hydraulic set up which is fine with me. I just wanted to make sure this 10 1/2" bellhousing will physically fit. I'm bringing the 4 spd and bellhousing to another guy for rebuilding. Brewers is backed up until spring

-
Back