10 lbs of oil pressure on engine break in..........

-
The bushing is a press fit....if it came out, that's a problem
I ordered a new pump and a new bushing. I think i remember there being a slight tear in the oil pump gasket and i i just added a bit more sealer, so im hoping that is the culprit since everything else has been ok as far as plugs go.

Jake

I ordered a new pump and a new bushing. I think i remember there being a slight tear in the oil pump gasket and i i just added a bit more sealer, so im hoping that is the culprit since everything else has been ok as far as plugs go.

Jake
A slight tear in the oil pump gasket would be a BIG no-no a little sealer ain't gonna fix that

But it should come out of the block without some major effort . Certainly not just by pulling out the Intermediate shaft....

Am I wrong ?

no the bushing should not come out of the block without major effort what I said was some of the bushings are not finished to the proper size and need to be fitted to the shaft . back to the low oil pressure problem did you grind the oil pump case for it to fit with the main stud ?

I didnt but is it possible that a faulty oil pump gasket could cause an issue like this?

Jake

I never use a gasket on the oil pump, I just go over the pump and the main cap very lightly with a large file to make sure they are flat and bolt it on.

I use a piece of all thread with 2 large thick flat washers to pull the bushing into the block, if you don't have any assembly lube put gear oil on the outside of the bushing and a little in the block and the bushing will pull right into the block. Don't hit it or try to drive it in, its oilite brass and can easily brake if you try to drive it in and it can also
damage the top and the shaft wont go in or will be tight, I have been doing this way for years and never had to ream one.

I use a piece of all thread with 2 large thick flat washers to pull the bushing into the block, if you don't have any assembly lube put gear oil on the outside of the bushing and a little in the block and the bushing will pull right into the block. Don't hit it or try to drive it in, its oilite brass and can easily brake if you try to drive it in and it can also
damage the top and the shaft wont go in or will be tight, I have been doing this way for years and never had to ream one.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting to pull the engine hoping there is something I'm missing completely and Is very obvious. The other thing I'm going to check is possibly a plug in the oil filter galley, I stared at it and thought it looked different from the other builds i have done but that thought came and wept.

Jake

boiling out a block will not affect a steel plug, and if that plug is missing, oil pressure is not lower-the filter is bypassed
I tend to disagree. When a block is boiled the plug looses it's size and gets loose in the bore. It doesn't take much and you have low pressure.

Maybe irrelevant, but what oil filter are you using? Hope it's something simple...

I tend to disagree. When a block is boiled the plug looses it's size and gets loose in the bore. It doesn't take much and you have low pressure.
at what temp are you boiling blocks? and if that plug is left out completely , the filter is bypassed, oil pressure is NOT low

Maybe irrelevant, but what oil filter are you using? Hope it's something simple...
Its a mopar oil filter ive used in past builds, worked fine for the last 15000 on my commando.

Jake

hell of an idea !

Did you put the two plugs behind the cam plate?
Yeah, I put all the necessary plugs in from the kit but the culprit looks to be the pump, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Jake

-
Back