10's on $5,000 ?

-
The diplomat has the criss cross torsion bars right?
That would give some more space for headers

I don't think you can do it.
NOT trying to be a poo poo on your parade but 10's requires the HP for sure but you have to get it to the ground and stick.
so in my head, SS spring at the vary least(do they make them for a diplomat?) then some racing shocks will have to be used and tuned. Extra weight on the noise will need to be addressed

So what parts do you have already that don't need to be thrown into the budget.

I can't believe someone else hasn't said it yet but strong 440 and a lot of nitrous.
Parts I have are spent against the budget. Other than that, the 5000 dollar budget would be pointless. And I like the fact you acknowledged this isn't a skip in the park. Again, that's what makes it fun.

I'm pretty sure this car will smell like rodent feces the rest of its life. I'm apprehensive to pull it into the shop for it's parting out.
Everything I find is a little far from me.. LOL Just life. But, I'll get one within 75 miles from me. I've seen too many to believe anything else. :)

I would look for a dodge pickup, swb 70's to early 80's.
They seem to be quite a few of them around.

a lot of wind cutting there, but again, I'm not targeting anything but "cheap" :D
Yeah, but those Diplomats and 5th ave's are heavy.
I had a 5th ave, my kids called it the big comphy couch.

Looks like we (me, son, son-in-law) are going to make an attempt on this. Buy and build a car to go 10's on throttle on a 5,000 dollar budget (even a 10.99). Street car I might add. Sorry, it won't be an A-body because of pricing. Most likely will be a 4 door. Already bought some pieces. The journey should be a blast either way
It can be done with a Mopar A body. Might be a stripped down rusty bucket, but if you get it cheap enough to start with, you can spray yourself into the High 10s for less than 5K

It can be done with a Mopar A body. Might be a stripped down rusty bucket, but if you get it cheap enough to start with, you can spray yourself into the High 10s for less than 5K
all throttle, no bottle :)

:lol:

14700_14760nos.jpg

I’m hoping you can find a last year C body wagon at this point. A Lincoln Locker and some home modified rear springs could really make it hook.

Spend the entire budget on the motor and converter and just pray that the rest will hold together. And buy a lot of Sawzall blades. Good luck.

Build instead of buy. That is how it will get done.
Now I am just gonna sit back, watch, and enjoy.

It's obvious, after these few years, you haven't figured me out :(.. lol
Two things brought about 5000:
  1. My greatest challenges are to myself.
  2. And, I'm just attracted to "roadkill" type of builds.
Oh I got you figured out.. you and your son get together and bounce ideas off each other and they sound pretty Grand sitting in the living room the next thing you know nobody's buying a van to drag race.... I know you're going to take your camper van for a run down the dragstrip but that's not what I was talking about and you know that..
This may be another one of Colonel Flags red herrings...
Again..:popcorn:...

100% agree. We've already got a few of the parts - cheap. It's finding the right car. Looking for FMJ bodies. 4 door, ugly, bad paint, ripped interior will all be fine just has to be solid and be a driver. Don't want to dump the budget in full front end rebuild, etc.
I just started reading this adventure!!!!!! Might I mention this. Be really careful of FMJ stuff up in the rust belt, ie the frame rails, they really have a problem. You might look at the early B body more doors IF the more door deal is what you are after.??????
Let me mention this also. Wagons?? I have a central Tx rust free 77 SB wagon, complete, not running, I had it traded off for a 64 B body for the running 318 poly I need, but FB Marketplace has somehow lost the correspondence!!! Hoping the other guy contacts me, I will honor our trade if we contact again. Mean while, back at the ranch, this wagon is $500, cheap but the ride to IL. probably kills the deal!!! ha
This will be another good read in the art of hotrodding!! Continue on!!

100_2526.JPG

Oh I got you figured out.. you and your son get together and bounce ideas off each other and they sound pretty Grand sitting in the living room the next thing you know nobody's buying a van to drag race.... I know you're going to take your camper van for a run down the dragstrip but that's not what I was talking about and you know that..
This may be another one of Colonel Flags red herrings...
Again..:popcorn:...
LOL ^^ actually a funny post. It is how all these projects get started :D :D I'd say I'm batting a pretty good percentage, wouldn't you? Drag van might be the only thing that I put on the back burner.... Just honestly, that drag van was going to go from probably 19 seconds down to 17 seconds for grins and giggles, but the van I just bought was going to beat it. Kind of let the air out of the bag.....

I just started reading this adventure!!!!!! Might I mention this. Be really careful of FMJ stuff up in the rust belt, ie the frame rails, they really have a problem. You might look at the early B body more doors IF the more door deal is what you are after.??????
Let me mention this also. Wagons?? I have a central Tx rust free 77 SB wagon, complete, not running, I had it traded off for a 64 B body for the running 318 poly I need, but FB Marketplace has somehow lost the correspondence!!! Hoping the other guy contacts me, I will honor our trade if we contact again. Mean while, back at the ranch, this wagon is $500, cheap but the ride to IL. probably kills the deal!!! ha
This will be another good read in the art of hotrodding!! Continue on!!

View attachment 1715455077
All the good deals are Always so far away.... :(

-
Back