10's on $5,000 ?

-
All the good deals are Always so far away.... :(

If the FMJ thing is the goal, go on FB to the FMJR-xyz sites (probably 4-5) and ask if anyone close to you have such (with a good frame!!!). cheap. There is also our sister site here for FMJ stuff too.
So what is the list of parts for this trip you already have!?
RoadKill wanna be????!!!!! ha Go to a good boneyard, less somewhere except the rust belt!!!! Make a film and post it, we will all watch IF you have humor like Fennigan or whatever his name is!! Here is your ticket, maybe!! Go to Clay and Sons just SW of St Louis, give him the sad details of this, Dad there is a big time racer, he might just give you a DEAL!!!!????? Biggest mopar yard this side of Fondulac, Mi

If the FMJ thing is the goal, go on FB to the FMJR-xyz sites (probably 4-5) and ask if anyone close to you have such (with a good frame!!!). cheap. There is also our sister site here for FMJ stuff too.
So what is the list of parts for this trip you already have!?
RoadKill wanna be????!!!!! ha Go to a good boneyard, less somewhere except the rust belt!!!! Make a film and post it, we will all watch IF you have humor like Fennigan or whatever his name is!! Here is your ticket, maybe!! Go to Clay and Sons just SW of St Louis, give him the sad details of this, Dad there is a big time racer, he might just give you a DEAL!!!!????? Biggest mopar yard this side of Fondulac, Mi
LOL... it will definitely be a video. The car will be humor and a joke, but the performance will not (we hope) :D Everyone here knows I bought 700 dollar aluminum BB heads, but the rest I'll post as it all comes together.

10's on a $5000 budget including buying the vehicle and all the components..I don't think so but good luck!!!

100% agree. We've already got a few of the parts - cheap. It's finding the right car. Looking for FMJ bodies. 4 door, ugly, bad paint, ripped interior will all be fine just has to be solid and be a driver. Don't want to dump the budget in full front end rebuild, etc.
FMJ are just to heavy, the lightest a two door Fbody stripper /6 is 3500lbs.

My pick for the perfect car for a project like this is a Aspen or Volarie station wagon. They have better then 50% of there weight on the rear wheels,65 to 70 b body rear axles bolt in, b body big block cheep headers fit, nobody wants them, and if you look hard enough in back yards you could possibly find some one to pay you to take it away or best scenario get it for free.

Is it going to be riding on a trailer to the track or driven?

I took an 80 318 Mirada from weighing over 3800# down to 3160 just by stripping all the unneeded weight and add an eight point mild steel roll cage,2 Summit lite weight seats, Art Morrison ladder bar coil over rear suspension, and a W2 360 and yes the car ran in the 10's
1207191125.jpg

Last edited:
It can be done with a Mopar A body. Might be a stripped down rusty bucket, but if you get it cheap enough to start with, you can spray yourself into the High 10s for less than 5K

Spray spray spray your azz. Why are some of you guys so wimpy. It’s a challenge not a let’s see how easy it is event.

Knowing 318 it will have a stock-ish converter and maybe 3.55's at best, street tyres?......if you get away with 3500lbs@the line..that still needs 520+fwhp to go 10.9's@123 on pump gas and thats with a good hook. Can be done with a 440 with iron ported bv heads and a good sft cam, but I think you've pushed this 1 a bit too far this time....just a case of how close you can get to it I guess.

Back in 1988 I built a Volare coupe with a Big Block, as I said before the stock weight was 3500 lbs and I took enough out that it weighed 3200 with the big block torqueflite in it. I put the car together paint and all for $3800.i did all the work but the machine work and that I bartered for. The 440 was low compression (9.5) small mech. cam and a 4.88 gear. The best times were 11.40s @ 120 mph in the quarter. The 440 made 500 plus horse power but if I had it to do over I would have gone with 11:1 cr bigger cam and converter.
At the time I went with new parts but theres saving to be had with used. Three years later I built another motor and got into the mid tens but I had 5K in parts, doubling the cost of the car.

Back in 1988 I built a Volare coupe with a Big Block, as I said before the stock weight was 3500 lbs and I took enough out that it weighed 3200 with the big block torqueflite in it. I put the car together paint and all for $3800.i did all the work but the machine work and that I bartered for. The 440 was low compression (9.5) small mech. cam and a 4.88 gear. The best times were 11.40s @ 120 mph in the quarter. The 440 made 500 plus horse power but if I had it to do over I would have gone with 11:1 cr bigger cam and converter.
At the time I went with new parts but theres saving to be had with used. Three years later I built another motor and got into the mid tens but I had 5K in parts, doubling the cost of the car.

Not that it really matters but 3200lbs@120mph is 450 on track hp with ancillaries, may have made closer to 500 on a dyno.

My old 446ci motor with ported BV906 heads, 9.8:1, 850DP and a .650"/290@.050 sft cam made 530fwhp on track@3300lbs and 10.7@125mph, no alternator/electric w-pump....just some info.

Knowing 318 it will have a stock-ish converter and maybe 3.55's at best, street tyres?......if you get away with 3500lbs@the line..that still needs 520+fwhp to go 10.9's@123 on pump gas and thats with a good hook. Can be done with a 440 with iron ported bv heads and a good sft cam, but I think you've pushed this 1 a bit too far this time....just a case of how close you can get to it I guess.
I realize it's going to take something of something to go high 10's. Gathering parts, and happy with prices and part selection to this point.

Not that it really matters but 3200lbs@120mph is 450 on track hp with ancillaries, may have made closer to 500 on a dyno.

My old 446ci motor with ported BV906 heads, 9.8:1, 850DP and a .650"/290@.050 sft cam made 530fwhp on track@3300lbs and 10.7@125mph, no alternator/electric w-pump....just some info.
30 years ago we were trying to run it with a team G manifold and back to back on the dyno it killed 70 hp. With the old M1 it made 520 hp. The first motor would have gotten us in the 10s with the M1.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Team G was crap, mine was a Dom flange so a bit better I heard but not much...a street dominator would've worked better probably.

Edelbrock TM-6s and Tm-7s are relatively easy to find for good prices now, probably the best your going to do with a budget build. What kind of big block heads did you score again?

360 forged pistons, 528 Mopar cam, 8.5 compression. 250 shot of nitrous. done.

So easy any idiot can do it. Even the girls pool league
Just not quite... got to have a converter, tranny, and short block that will live run after run on a 250 shot. AND.... a pocket full of money for refills.... Anyways, not happening even though they keep bringing it up. LOL

-
Back