13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
I'll tell you what. @toolmanmike lock me out. That'll solve it all right there. jpar caint keep my name off his keyboard and I cannot just sit back and take his digs and bullshit. So I offer myself as a sacrifice. Just ban me for good. That'll fix the whole thing. That way jpar can say he won. I'm sick of the whole damn thing, really.
This cracks me up! Look how many times you've mentioned my name LOL I mentioned mentioned your name one time with the little Pokey thing because you joined in our little fun game here. Why don't you go back to the slant 6 part of the Forum where the slow cars are...lol..
What would you have any business in The Race part of the Forum...lol..
This is no less than the third time I've heard you threaten to leave the Forum...
Why don't you man up and do it...

Toolman Mike... Do you have a handkerchief I can borrow to wipe my tears please...

There were some good suggestions early on, the main disagreement was gears, and a good converter can help that within reason.

There were some good suggestions early on, the main disagreement was gears, and a good converter can help that within reason.
I thought that everybody was pretty much in agreement that right from the beginning a good cam converter and gears were essential to the goal. Especially with a stock bottom end and relatively stock top end..?..
I think the discussion really took a turn when we wanted to get some answers on exactly how that was going to happen and be streetable with the gears that were mentioned??..
And that still needs to be answered...

@fishmens67 and I have been trying to turn this into a serious conversation for almost a page-and-a-half but the powers that want to be want to turn this thread against "me" for some reason...
Another thread can be simply made on how to get this question answered...

26 inch tire at the track, 28 on the street. 3.55 w 28" =3.82 w26"
Pretty close to the 3.91 a lot of people mentioned.

I hope to get member skrews involved in this conversation. He has a couple good threads on some 360 stuff with his Duster.
He runs a good # with a few different 360's.
From some of his past posts, he's no bull shitter.

@Mopar Sam
@pittsburghracer
@yellow rose
Of all pretty much said easy peasy no problem and yet no plan has been laid out.. we've got a couple hints of this and a couple of hands for that but I just don't see a complete layout of how that's done and I very streetable combination with the parts that are available to the op.. ???????????????????.... All seriousness...

If he could make it hook, I think he could get real close even with the 484 cam, especially with his relentless tuning skills. Just my opinion and I am a has been 1/2 track-er....... 1/8 mile

I hope to get member skrews involved in this conversation. He has a couple good threads on some 360 stuff with his Duster.
He runs a good # with a few different 360's.
From some of his past posts, he's no bull shitter.
I'm not calling anybody a bullshiter... I'm just not getting any answers and neither really is the Op at least not any complete answers...

If he could make it hook, I think he could get real close even with the 484 cam, especially with his relentless tuning skills. Just my opinion and I am a has been 1/2 track-er....... 1/8 mile
Right now he's making it hooked with one tire fire hasn't been a problem. As a matter of fact we hear endlessly about his 1.9 60's...
when I point out the reality that the 15-13 game isn't the same as the 13 to 11-game it seems to frustrate... I just never set myself up for disappointment. you can look at my old threads when I built the stroker I was hoping to be in the mid 12's...

Well, one of the fast gentleman laid a turd a couple pages back. He knows what it takes to go fast.

Really what I've been gathering from some of the gentlemen, is how tame the 360 combo can be in street form to run 11's.
It goes against the Direct Connection engine book recipe. pretty wild camshaft recommendation

I'm Out! for the night, waaaay past this old guys bedtime. Be time for coffee in 4-5 hours.
Wife's got the alarm set for 5: 30 to go walk dogs with her friend. I'll have the coffee made and waiting for her to get up for sure...

Really what I've been gathering from some of the gentlemen, is how tame the 360 combo can be in street form to run 11's.
It goes against the Direct Connection engine book recipe. pretty wild camshaft recommendation
I like 318... Then I hope he does it with what he has... Like other said I'll be watching and learning as well... It's almost like I need to Pace that at the top of everything I say.. I've been on this forum for a while and have raced every year since and before... my first past 5 years ago or 6 years ago I can't remember was in the 16's... I found out the game changes at a certain point and there's sacrifices that have to be made financially and and the way things work or more specifically comfort... like you said about the cam there's going to have to be something pretty wild or an extreme diet.. either one the Op (affectionately called that as he apparently doesn't want his name mentioned here anymore) has mentioned so far...

A message for 318will......

I’m sure your likely going to forge ahead with your plan.
After all....... it’s a personal challenge between you and your sons newer technology ride........ not to please a bunch of grumpy know-it-all interweb wizzards.

After you get it going....... post up the results.
I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hhhhmmmm...... my prediction for this thread may have just run into a road block though.

A message for 318will......

I’m sure your likely going to forge ahead with your plan.
After all....... it’s a personal challenge between you and your sons newer technology ride........ not to please a bunch of grumpy know-it-all interweb wizzards.

After you get it going....... post up the results.
I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hhhhmmmm...... my prediction for this thread may have just run into a road block though.
I remember several Pages back you were asking several questions about my Time Slips and other pertinent information about my car..
I started on this forum in the middle of 2014 and a few months earlier I had purchased the 73 Duster... That hadn't ran and god-knows-how-long had no interior no exhaust and a 68 Barracuda K frame I was told and it definitely had a police pursuit 318 and 727 put in the place of the Slant six with the 7 and 1/4 rear end..
20140319_143305.jpg

It came with the bench seats that were extremely rough and I threw them away. The only thing I did was put a battery in it and some gas and got it to sputter and fire and figured it wasn't blown up... I immediately pulled the motor transmission and rear end. this is while living in an apartment and having my insurance tow it back and forth to my uncle's house... I found a four-speed on Craigslist up in Seattle and my girlfriend now wife drove up there and grabbed it for me in her Volvo Wagon while I was at work.. I had a friend sell me an eight and a quarter out of a Dodge Dakota with 355 open.. I put it all together and started making it happen after I bought a four speed hump and all the other accompanying things that I needed.. about that time I joined the Forum.. I got that combo down to a 13.7 before I tried to hold 3rd gear all the way to the quarter mile line LOL... Apparently that was all that that motor was going to take...
That winter of 14 I decided I wanted to make the fastest 318 ever made and found out that building a 360 was literally cheaper because that's what everybody was doing... To shorten us up some I went through the eight and a quarter to eight and three-quarter and now have a Dana all pictures shown building and all that. I've rebuilt my four-speed transmission pictures and everything on the forum. even did the same thing with the 904 automatic that I put in behind a pink 318 that I built for my wife and eventually sold.. both builds complete pictures from top to bottom from start to finish. I went to the machine shop every week and took pictures of every aspect of the stroker being built there. I've built or rebuilt absolutely every nut and bolt on this car with pictures on the Forum.. I've had my dash out and completely rewired everything. I've built my own headliner and showed how to threads on how to do it. (2 years later still holding up just great)
I've welded in my homemade frame connectors, I've welded in an 8 point roll bar and cut it out, I've rebuilt my entire front end, I've went from mid 16s to mid to Low 11s... I've had complete threads on home porting my head's as a first-timer.. beyond the different clutches I've tried and of course as you probably seen installing the clutch tamer... not only installing it but showing pictures of how to do it where to place it etc etc..
So in conclusion when I talk about my car and where it's been and where it is now and what it took to get there from my garage to the Dragstrip I'm not just trying to blow wind up people's butt and down there dreams.. again I don't like my friend setting himself up for disappointment or anybody doing that.. again when my 318 did 13-7 and I built a big Stroker motor or had it built I was expecting 12 fives and hoping to tune down and make things better from there... What I thought was a realistic plan...
To think there isn't going to have to be some aspect of a 1974 duster full weight that isn't going to be a little uncomfortable on the street or a little wild and hit 11: 8 is in my mind at any rate a bit preposterous...

318 has been on here as long or longer than me and done a tremendous job of showing videos and all the different work he's done on different cars and spending the time to make how-to videos for first-timers going to the track and all kinds of stuff like that but and this is a big "BUT" this has all been in the 15 to 13 game...
He's claimed to have cars that have went faster and I sincerely believe him without question...
Anybody who has played 13.3 to 11.8 game knows that sacrifices have to be made in a full weight 74 Duster....
meaning some aspect of it is going to have to be pretty wild for the street or it's going to have to be pretty damn light in some way or another...
So far we've heard people say they've done it and people saying that it can be done. Pittsburgh pointed it out directly but not the whole combination? Even when we look back on screws threads there was something that was completely not streetable or something that 318 is not willing to do... 456 gears? Higher compression Pistons? Extremely wild cam? Or putting the car on an extreme diet...

@Mopar Sam
@pittsburghracer
@yellow rose
Of all pretty much said easy peasy no problem and yet no plan has been laid out.. we've got a couple hints of this and a couple of hands for that but I just don't see a complete layout of how that's done and I very streetable combination with the parts that are available to the op.. ???????????????????.... All seriousness...

First of all, I do not consider myself to be in the same league as those other two gentleman, or a lot of the other members who have posted in this thread.

What I do have is a lot of time spent getting the most out of what I could afford. When I was young, this meant low compression stock replacement pistons. I ran the 484 grind on the street, and in the 1/8th.

Never said it was easy peasy, it took a lot of passes,tuning,and learning from mistakes, and mainly the desire to just go a little quicker the next time,with junk, ready to explode parts.

No reason to post a combo because:
1. I don't have pictures of a car I no longer own.
2. I never made a pass down the strip because I did not keep the time slips.
3 Even if I had the slips, they wouldn't count, because they were 1/8th mile.

grumpy know-it-all interweb wizzards.
Thats me in a nutshell.

Honestly, this thread has been entertaining, but its like watching a dog chasing its tail,after awhile it gets old, and you know if he caught it, he wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
For example, when a simple motor combo is laid out by a knowledgeable member, the dog chases the "Not with those gears" tail
When 318 says he may be willing to go to 3.73s the "Not with low compression" tail goes by.
Then when some say it can be done with low compression, the old critter chases the " not with a stock shortblock, it will not last" tail.
And then its back to gears and around and around.
The above is my thoughts as to what the thread has become, just my opinion.
To be clear I am NOT calling anyone a dog. I am NOT implying that anyone on here is a dog. I am just saying that the fun has now worn off.
I apologize to all for my part in this thread.
Feel free to quote me, or even misquote me if you want. I will assume the role of ignorance by ignoring this post, I am not mad or upset I just will no longer distract from what could be useful info for those willing to accept it.

Again, in my very best, but admittedly lame Forest Gump voice: "That's all I've got to say about that."

-
Back