13.3's to 11.8's to Forget it...

whose got this?

• 318hasason 392 Hemi

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 318isaDad 360 Duster

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
-
Also the big block idea is a good idea to get to the goal, but for him to change everything is Doug's headers and a new transmission.. I certainly don't see that happening..
you guys are having enough trouble trying to get him to understand he's going to at least need better heads let alone changing the whole combination...

You don't think OE iron heads can run 11's??

I don't think j par is saying that. I believe he is saying the OP is leaving key components on the table for achieving his 11 sec goal.
Such as a much larger cam, a much steeper gear and other components needed for an 11 sec combo.

I have stock heads and have done 11s...
With a balanced high compression Stroker underneath them...

Do you think a shade tree mechanic is going to take a stock as a rock bottom end 360 with stock crank stock Pistons stock rods unlikely cheap eBay bearings and rings and some second hand Magnum heads with pinned seats and amateur Home Port job with zero weight loss program going to do 11/8.. understand tossing in solid Cam, new converter, and some steep gears that he's not willing to go to on pump gas and drive it to the track back and forth and this thing's going to survive 11.8 passes summer after summer driving back and forth... ?..
Personally I have no regrets putting good money into a solid bottom end Stroker and now I can play the head game and the cam game and the carb game all I want and still drive back and forth to the track without as much worry...

Poor 318 has valves that will fly! His ears must be ringing like the Liberty Bell going off in his head! LOL...

over 40 years ago my 1972 .030 over 340 Duster ran 11.82 while being street driven on pump gas. Stock crank, stock rods, 2.02 heads ported by a young kid that thought he knew everything (me) and a solid lifter cam. Given the choice I would pick a magnum head way before our old junk heads. It’s not that hard guys and way easier today.

over 40 years ago my 1972 .030 over 340 Duster ran 11.82 while being street driven on pump gas. Stock crank, stock rods, 2.02 heads ported by a young kid that thought he knew everything (me) and a solid lifter cam. Given the choice I would pick a magnum head way before our old junk heads. It’s not that hard guys and way easier today.

Impossible!! If other people can't do it you couldn't have either. Not with stock parts. It must have blown up............Kidding of course.

I love them small block Mopars.

Gear ratio, cam specs ?
I was a young kid and I did know everything. lol swapped a 383 into a 67 Barracuda in 1977 at age 15. lol
I did what some are doing now with help from dad. The b body header in an a body big block conversion is nothing new to me.

I don't think j par is saying that. I believe he is saying the OP is leaving key components on the table for achieving his 11 sec goal.
Such as a much larger cam, a much steeper gear and other components needed for an 11 sec combo.

And I agree with that, BUT he's also wanting to "do it his way" and that's ok too. I kinda want to see where he goes with it.

Tell the rest of the story.. the weight of the car the gears in the rear end.. you know the ones that he's not willing to put in there...

Yeah right! Go say that in a stock eliminator crowd and see if you don't come away with some injuries. lol
I only disagreed because this is not a stock Eliminator LOL and I don't think I would get injured LOL if I told the stock Eliminator crowd that an amateur engine builder put a 360 back to its complete stock specs at home in the garage and did a little bit of a mature Port work to some Magnum heads and that was going to have me competing with the stock Eliminator class? Now I might not get injured but I sure would get laughed out of there...

Small valve heads that flow 200. What you are saying is combo dependent.

What I’m saying is...... it’s definitely not “all about the flow”.

It is all about the combo.

Killer heads won’t fix a bad combo.

A great combo doesn’t necessarily have (or need to have) killer heads.

Tell the rest of the story.. the weight of the car the gears in the rear end.. you know the ones that he's not willing to put in there...
Also weld the 74 door gutters in the doors and put 74 bumpers on that 1970.. I didn't hear you say stock Pistons either?..

I’m perfectly content to let 318will go about it anyway he sees fit...... and will follow along and enjoy reading the results.

Won’t cost me a penny.

I doubt it will be the same way I’d go about it..... which actually makes it more interesting to see how it all unfolds.

With even a decent set of heads, 3.9X gears and the CORRECT converter (which means IMO 4200 would be the bottom of the RPM range and and 4500 would be better) and it's reall easy to get into the 11's.
Contrary to the common claim that displacement makes power, you don't need a 4 inch stroke to make power and you damn sure don't need more than 6000 RPM with a 3.313 stroke. And if someone doesn't like that FACT, take it up with Harold Bettes. I know he is smarter than me. He made the claim and he backed it up with SCIENCE. Of course, if you don't study the IC engine none of what he says matter.

I’m perfectly content to let 318will go about it anyway he sees fit...... and will follow along and enjoy reading the results.

Won’t cost me a penny.

I doubt it will be the same way I’d go about it..... which actually makes it more interesting to see how it all unfolds.
I one hundred percent agree.. I just give him crap because that's what we do..
I just think with stock Pistons and stock bottom end with stock Magnum heads there's going to be some compromise that I'm not sure he's willing to make in the cam gears and converter...
he's not 18 or a teenager like Pittsburgh was when he did it and what was probably a much lighter car with much deeper gears and much more cam than 318 will be willing to deal with as an older man...
I know yellow rose likes to twist this but no matter how many times you twist my words the truth will always remain the truth..
At this point we're all just been tracing waiting for 318hvtwf to reappear with his Victorious combination..

Won’t cost me a penny.

I have to agree their. I'm not going to say it can't be done, and i look forward to seeing how he does. He just set some high hurdles for what he wants. Although "streetable" does have a different meaning to everyone.

With even a decent set of heads, 3.9X gears and the CORRECT converter (which means IMO 4200 would be the bottom of the RPM range and and 4500 would be better) and it's reall easy to get into the 11's.
Contrary to the common claim that displacement makes power, you don't need a 4 inch stroke to make power and you damn sure don't need more than 6000 RPM with a 3.313 stroke. And if someone doesn't like that FACT, take it up with Harold Bettes. I know he is smarter than me. He made the claim and he backed it up with SCIENCE. Of course, if you don't study the IC engine none of what he says matter.
Who's Harold...
So you get a la 360 block that someone has put together with Veri stock as a rock bearings Pistons Rings rods and crank..
You get a used set of Magnum heads that have been checked and all four corners have had the valve seats pinned..
You have stock 273 rockers.. 3:55 gears Max.. pump gas.. full weight 1974 (not a 70 Duster) duster bumpers and door girders and so forth.. what did he say a purple performance 484?.. Doug's headers and 26 in Street strip Mickey's...now the great part you get to pick the converter...
Now working Within These parameters an 11.8 in the quarter mile...
GO.......

Who's Harold...
So you get a la 360 block that someone has put together with Veri stock as a rock bearings Pistons Rings rods and crank..
You get a used set of Magnum heads that have been checked and all four corners have had the valve seats pinned..
You have stock 273 rockers.. 3:55 gears Max.. pump gas.. full weight 1974 (not a 70 Duster) duster bumpers and door girders and so forth.. what did he say a purple performance 484?.. Doug's headers and 26 in Street strip Mickey's...now the great part you get to pick the converter...
Now working Within These parameters an 11.8 in the quarter mile...
GO.......

273 rockers won't fit magnum heads. But the 484 ps cam will come out with a little extra lift due to magnum heads have 1.6 ratio rocker arms... I'm wondering, but not going to say anything... I think their is more to it, but gonna sit back and watch.

I think post #625 should be moved to the BLUE ROOM. LOL The post is not for normal people.

I have to agree their. I'm not going to say it can't be done, and i look forward to seeing how he does. He just set some high hurdles for what he wants. Although "streetable" does have a different meaning to everyone.
273 rockers won't fit magnum heads. But the 484 ps cam will come out with a little extra lift due to magnum heads have 1.6 ratio rocker arms... I'm wondering, but not going to say anything... I think their is more to it, but gonna sit back and watch.
Just woke up.. luckily I was falling asleep on my chair when I wrote that.. yes no 273's on magnums...

I started reading a thread about going from 13.3's to 11.8's
I wonder if this has any coincidental implications of 318hvtwf returning in 2020..
Screenshot_20191115-171301.png

LOL...

-
Back