15 Cars That Made Chrysler...

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The following info was found on MSN.com this morning as part of their coverage of Dodge celebrating their 100th anniversary this year. You might or might not agree - I don't, especially since there's not an A-body in the bunch - but here they are:

15 Cars That Made Chryler What It Is Today

* 1924 Chrysler Model B

View attachment 1924ChryslerModelB.jpg

The first Chrysler car was developed by the firm of Zeder, Skelton, Breer Engineering Laboratories. Called the Model B, it was powered by a 201-cubic-inch straight-6 engine that made 68 horsepower and pushed the car to speeds of 70 mph, which was impressive for the day. It was a quality car and one of the first on the market with hydraulic brakes. Six body styles were offered, with prices starting at $1,395 — $40 more than a comparable Buick model. Some 55,000 Model Bs were sold over its 18-month run, putting Chrysler on the map as a viable automaker.

* 1934 Chrysler Airflow

View attachment 1934ChryslerAirflow.jpg

The 1934 Chrysler Airflow was a car ahead of its time. Designed by engineer Carl Breer using aircraft principles, it was one of the first cars designed with aerodynamics in mind. A beam-and-truss cage-type structure made the car lighter and more nimble than comparably sized competition, and moving the engine forward gave the Airflow lots of interior space. Four Chrysler Airflow models were offered, all with 8-cylinder power, and all of the Chrysler DeSoto cars of the time received the design, although they had 6-cylinder engines. Depression-era buyers rejected the Airflow due to its odd looks, and the design lasted only until 1937.

* 1956 Chrysler 300B

View attachment 1956Chrysler300B.jpg

The 331-cubic-inch Hemi V8 engine was introduced in 1954, and in 1956 it grew to 354 cubic inches and became the first engine to achieve one horsepower per cubic inch. The 355-horse Hemi, which featured dual carburetors and a 10:1 compression ratio, launched the 1956 300B from zero to 60 mph in nine seconds and pushed it to a top speed of 140 mph. The 300B was not only fast, it was stylish, with cool new tailfins, leather upholstery and a design that looked great in monotone red, white or black. Only 1,102 were sold, but the 300B was one of the best cars of its day.

* 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car

View attachment 1963ChryslerTurbineCar.jpg

From 1963 to '66 Chrysler put 50 experimental cars in the hands of 203 Americans to test the viability of the turbine engine. The cars, all hardtops, were styled by former Ford designer Elwood Engel and bodied by the Italian firm Ghia. Based on jet engine principles, the turbine engine put out 130 horsepower and 425 lb-ft of torque, launching the car from zero to 60 mph in 11 seconds. The hotter the engines ran the more efficient they were, but that required expensive materials and fuel economy proved to be a problem. Chrysler pursued the technology until 1981, but the company's brush with bankruptcy prevented further development.

* 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner

View attachment 1968PlymouthRoadrunner.jpg

No car better embodies the essence of the muscle car more than the 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner. Based on the Belvedere, it was a barebones car with a big engine — just what a muscle car should be. Pillared and hardtop coupe body styles were offered, with prices starting at a modest $2,896. A 335-horsepower 383-cubic-inch V8 engine was standard and buyers could opt for the 425-horsepower 426-cubic-inch Hemi V8. Plymouth licensed the likeness of the Road Runner cartoon character from Warner Bros., ensuring the muscle car would captivate car-crazy kids. Adults liked it, too, snapping up some 45,000 of them even though Plymouth had planned only 2,500 sales.

* 1968 Dodge Charger R/T

View attachment 1968DodgeChargerRT.jpg

The second-generation Dodge Charger is one of the most iconic cars in muscle car history, starring as the villain's car in the chase scene in the 1968 motion picture "Bullitt" and as the General Lee in "The Dukes of Hazzard" television series. It also had looks and plenty of street cred. The Coke-bottle shape gave it sumptuous lines, and strong engine choices gave it real power. The 440-cubic-inch V8 engine churned out 375 horsepower and the available 426-cubic-inch Hemi V8 cranked it up to 425 horses. Car and Driver magazine posted a 6.0-second zero-to-60 run and a 13.5-second quarter-mile time in a Hemi Charger.

* 1970 Plymouth Superbird

View attachment 1970PlymouthSuperbird.jpg

NASCAR driving legend Richard Petty left Plymouth for Ford in 1969 due to problems with Plymouth's aerodynamics. Plymouth lured "The King" back in 1970 with the wind-cheating Superbird. Aero treatments included a nose cone fitted to Dodge Coronet fenders, a 25-inch-tall rear spoiler, and a flush rear window. All Superbirds had a vinyl roof due to a weld seam caused by the rear window. Only 135 were sold for street duty. The street Superbirds, as well as the NASCAR race cars, were powered by the 426-cubic-inch 425-horsepower Hemi V8 engine. The Superbird won eight superspeedway races in 1970, and Petty claimed five of them.

* 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda

View attachment 1970PlymouthAARCuda.jpg

The AAR 'Cuda was built to homologate the car so it could compete in Trans-Am racing. Named for and run by Dan Gurney's All-American Racers team, the AAR 'Cuda was powered by a 340-cubic-inch V8 engine with triple two-barrel carburetors and side-exiting exhaust pipes. A flat-black fiberglass hood with a functional scoop helped cut weight. Other exterior cues included dashed flat-black stripes, a flat-black rear spoiler and large rear tires. Though the car was built for handling, the 290-horsepower V8 powered the car to a 14.3-second quarter-mile time for Car and Driver magazine. The AAR 'Cuda wasn't overly successful in Trans-Am racing, but it looked cool and customers bought 2,724 of them for street use.

* 1978 Dodge Li'l Red Express

View attachment 1978DodgeLilRedExpress.jpg

In an era when style and performance were hard to come by, Dodge offered both — but in a pickup truck. The 1978 Dodge Li'l Red Express was powered by a police interceptor 360-cubic-inch V8 engine that put out 225 horsepower, making it the fastest vehicle of the year. More noticeable was the styling, with big-rig style exhaust stacks, bright red paint, oak bed sides, and an old-timey "Li'l Red Express Truck" scripted logo. The truck was part of the brand's Adult Toys line that also included the black Warlock pickup. A total of 7,306 Li'l Red Express pickups were sold in 1978 and '79, and they are quite collectible today.

* 1981 Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant

View attachment 1981DodgeAries_PlymouthReliant.jpg

Chrysler was struggling in the late 1970s until a trio of saviors arrived: former Ford executive Lee Iacocca, the U.S. government, and the Chrysler K-car. Iacocca restructured the corporation, and in mid-1980 convinced the government to bail out Chrysler. On the product side, the new K-cars — the Aries and Reliant — arrived for the 1981 model year. These compact, front-drive cars may not have been sexy, but they were roomy for their size and offered fuel-efficiency during the country's second oil crisis in a decade. Several variants would follow, including midsize cars and minivans, saving money on development costs. Sales picked up, Chrysler became profitable again, and the K-car was credited with saving the automaker.

(continued below)

* 1984 Dodge Caravan / Plymouth Voyager

View attachment 1984DodgeCaravan_PlymouthVoyager.jpg

For decades the station wagon had been the choice for family transportation. Then in 1984 Chrysler changed the game with the introduction of a new class of vehicle, the minivan. Based on the front-drive K-car platform, the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager were the first compact vans. They rode lower than full-size vans and featured a sliding side door on the passenger side, both of which eased entry and exit. Basically boxes on wheels, the vehicles offered lots of room for a family of up to seven and their stuff. Several brands would introduce minivans of their own in the ensuing years, but Chrysler will always be remembered for inventing the category.

* 1992 Dodge Viper RT/10

View attachment 1992DodgeViperRT10.jpg

The Viper debuted as a concept car at the 1989 Detroit Auto Show, and response was so strong that Dodge put it on a 36-month fast track to production. A purist's sports car, the Viper was almost too raw, with side curtains instead of windows, no door handles and a convertible top that did little to keep out the elements. However, a lightweight plastic compound body, a stiff tubular steel chassis and — most importantly — a 400-horsepower 8.0-liter V10 engine gave it performance credentials: zero to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds and a 13.1-second quarter-mile time. The Viper continues to this day.

* 2005 Chrysler 300

View attachment 2005Chrysler300.jpg

Daimler-Benz and Chrysler Group created a "merger of equals" in 1998, but it soon became obvious that Daimler was really in charge. Daimler handed out technology and engineering with an eye-dropper, but the first excellent product to come from the merger was the 2005 Chrysler 300. Based on a modified version of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform, it offered exceptional road manners, a spacious interior, and cool new styling by upcoming designer Ralph Gilles. The 300 was also powerful, thanks to a reborn Hemi V8 that made 340 horsepower in standard models and 425 horses in the high-performance SRT8.

* 2012 Jeep Wrangler

View attachment 2012JeepWrangler.jpg

The Wrangler traces its roots back to World War II, when Ford, Willys-Overland and Bantam teamed up to design and build a general purpose (GP, or "jeep") vehicle for military use. The first Jeep CJ (Civilian Jeep) went on sale shortly after the war, and a version of that vehicle has been on sale ever since. Starting in 2004, Jeep added the longer, family friendly Wrangler Unlimited, and in 2012 the company replaced the antiquated 4.0-liter V6 engine with a more powerful and efficient 3.6-liter V6.

* 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View attachment 2014JeepGrandCherokee.jpg

In our opinion the current Jeep Grand Cherokee is the finest automobile Chrysler has ever produced. The platform underpinning it is a parting gift from Chrysler's affiliation with Mercedes-Benz, and it makes the Jeep smooth and composed yet dynamically capable. Both V6 and V8 power are offered, but we'd opt for the strong and efficient 3.6-liter V6 engine. The Grand Cherokee's refined road manners team with a quiet, well-appointed cabin to create a luxurious feel without a luxury price.

Again, don't blast me if you don't agree - since I don't either. These were just the opinions of the author on MSN.com...

They don't have all their facts straight that I can see. The one that really stuck out with me is the engines offered in the superbird.

That's cool. But they got it wrong about the 331 Hemi. They debuted in 1951 and were made all the way to 1958.

I like the fact that the K car is in the list. We all hate the K car. But it was good for what it was. My grandma had one, I drove it a few times when the D100 (AKA Bomber Truck) was on the fritz. If you wanted to get in a car and go somewhere, this car would get you there. And talk about un-attention getting. Probably impossible to get pulled over in a K car if your driving straight!

Missed the dart/duster/valiant....they sold bunches of them....I thik it was a law that said if you had a second car, it had to be one of these..

shows you how reporters can screw up history..

and the 69 charge was far more popular than the 68 or 70..

I like the fact that the K car is in the list. We all hate the K car. But it was good for what it was. My grandma had one, I drove it a few times when the D100 (AKA Bomber Truck) was on the fritz. If you wanted to get in a car and go somewhere, this car would get you there. And talk about un-attention getting. Probably impossible to get pulled over in a K car if your driving straight!

I like the K series. Were it not for that platform, Chrysler would have failed a long time ago. They were the best of the cars offered in their class. Chrysler may not have invented front wheel drive, but it's safe to say they perfected it.

They don't have all their facts straight that I can see. The one that really stuck out with me is the engines offered in the superbird.

And the production volume was 1,971 Superbirds.

Yes, they were offered with 440 4 bbl, 440 6-pak, and Hemi.

I like the K series. Were it not for that platform, Chrysler would have failed a long time ago. They were the best of the cars offered in their class. Chrysler may not have invented front wheel drive, but it's safe to say they perfected it.

Hell yeah. The "disposable car". $4500 brand new and 5 year 50,000 mile warranty with 28 city and 34 hwy MPG....

They could use a car like that today...

it is astounding that the facts on the 300 B are so wrong. but what do you expect from NON-chrysler people. EDIT: to crazy. the 1955 300 had a 331 Hemi. 300 HP. so the name 300. i had 1965 300 L. most people dont know that the 300 was not ment to be an all out race car. chrysler called it a gentlemens luxury performance car. most of the 300s had performance target of 17-15 sec 1/4 mile. and most had engines not in the other cars.

Didn't the 1955 C-300 have a 354 Hemi rated at 360 HP???

Heck if I know. What's that got to do with the 331? I do know that 1955 was the highest HP year for the 331.

Heck if I know. What's that got to do with the 331? I do know that 1955 was the highest HP year for the 331.
most people have never even heard or saw the turbin car! they didn`t even sell them!the writer ain`t got a clue! he`s an idiot. the 68 hemi darts and barracudas should definitely be in there! "all" of the old darts should probably be in there.

If your going to talk K cars you got to include the Iraqi Taxis , I knew a Solo racer who had one ,it was great Rally machine as well .

I had a '68 Hemi Roadrunner... It was my first NEW car. Needless to say it still one of my favorites.

Also had a 76 LRE. 360/727. It was a disappointment, to put it mildly. I bought it in 1979 with 19,000 miles on it. It was sluggish, due to the 360 being choked down with pollution controls, and being severely down in HP/torque.

Also, it was subject to a lot of rattling, and within 2 years some body rot, and plenty of little things going wrong. Not a very good specimen of MoPar's product, but typical of what they were producing at the time. Something seemed to happen to them after about 1973 or 76 where quality just completely fell off the table.

I replaced the LRE with a 1978 Dodge Warlock. More power, better performance, less BS and more truck. I was very happy with the Warlock, it was everything the LRE wasn't, mainly RELIABLE!

I thought that the Lil Red Express was only made in 78 & 79.

We also had a 79 Warlock II. We rebuilt the engine and got better MPG and much more power pulling our car on a trailer.

I thought that you knew the old Hemis.

My dad used to say that Chevy tried to claim 1 HP per cubic inch back in '57. But would tell us that the 1955 C 300 had a 354 Hemi rated at 360 HP with dual quads.

These two links say that the '55 C 300 had a 355 HP 354 Hemi.... Still more than 1 HP per cubic inch, sorry Chevy....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_300_letter_series

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-1956-chrysler-c300-300b.htm

Did anyone notice the Jeep 4.0L was listed as a V6 in the story ?

Wrong ! It was a straight 6 .

The AARCuda....that picture shows the antenna on the front passenger side fender....it belongs on the rear quarter panel...wish they would get their **** straight...LOL

-
Back