16's on a 65 Barracuda?

-
XXR_513_red_31_1XXR 513 This is what we have picked out 17x8 5x100

I think those wheels would look great on a early Barracuda if you can get the right backspacing. I have seen others run late model wheels on the 5x4 bolt pattern without problem.

You will forfiet a lot of ride quality with the short tires. Most dont realize this until the money is already spent. Just a point to ponder.

I have seen others run late model wheels on the 5x4 bolt pattern without problem.

And when you play russian roulette you are winning right up until you lose...

5X100mm is not (nor will it ever be) correct or safe for replacing a 5X4" wheel.

And when you play russian roulette you are winning right up until you lose...

5X100mm is not (nor will it ever be) correct or safe for replacing a 5X4" wheel.

All of us driving these 45 years old cars are playing that game every time we drive them. Don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.

When you play Russian Roulette with a automatic, then the house wins.
Just because a car is old does not mean that it is unsafe, remember when you die in a car wreck it is most likely to be in a newer car.

If you're willing to spend big dollars on rims, why not spend some $$ on an upgrade to the BBP, and get some disc brakes under the front. That'll help solve your problem with the wheel selection, and make the car way safer for your daughter!! Geof

Just talked with dealer on the Phone they sold out of their 1 st shipment of 16 & 17,s and looking at backorder only. They have 15 x 8 wheels coming in first but on back order. These are coming from Carid.com 163.00 ea. and they do come in 5 lug bolt pattern but only "0" offset now in the 8" wheels. I agree rmchrgr, inkjunkie that is why I ask these questions. It worked for me but was it safe? 383Duster MFG. Tolerance is subjective @ best overseas where MOST of this Stuff comes from. Oh by the way the wheel dealer said they will fit a 4" bolt pattern fine. but I still have safety in mind so I will keep looking till I am sure ...you can bet on that. Oklacarcollecto keep looking please that is what kind of constructive input I need to decide. Also 72 bluNblu I like someone that checks facts, I will take your input more seriously.
THANKS ! Tim (DAD) :thumleft:

oh yeah cosgig, I would but I have already done the K/H S.S. cups and sleeves and updated all the Brakes and Bearings in the rear end ,all new s.s. lines and hoses. Thanks for the thought .......Tim :thumleft:

front

wheel brand coys
size 17x7
backspacing 4.25
tire size 225/50/17
suspension mods big bolt from 74 dart sport

rear

wheel brand coys
size 17x7
backspacing 4.25
tire size 255/45/17
suspension mod ss springs and poly bushings

dsc_0742.jpg

your car is beautiful!!!!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Click Thumbnail to Enlarge.
Gallery StatisticsMember:hollywood higCreated:11-21-2012 01:55 PMLast Modified:01-11-2013 07:21 AMViews:198Images:8Comments: 5
CommentsAuthorCommentDatenitrojunkeeLooks great with those wheels!02-28-2013hollywood higtire size: 205/45/17's frt. 245/45/17's rear
rear end: 8 3/4 out of a 68 barracuda
no clearence problems whatsoever, i should add that the car has been dropped 2 inches.

oh yeah cosgig, I would but I have already done the K/H S.S. cups and sleeves and updated all the Brakes and Bearings in the rear end ,all new s.s. lines and hoses. Thanks for the thought .......Tim :thumleft:

Of course you did, isn't that the way it always goes!!!LOL

I think this is the first time I have ever seen a car with blacked out chrome that I liked the way it looked. That is a good looking valiant and the rims look good too.

Tire Rack's chart (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92) suggests that 5 x 100mm and 5 x 4" bolt patterns are identical. I know the math doesn't work, but perhaps "100" is nominal. 5 x 4.5" exactly matches the metric 5 x 114.3 mm pattern, but maybe a nod to Chevy's.

If it truly is 1.6 mm different (couldn't find an answer), it probably wouldn't matter if the wheels use "mag lugs" which have a flat washer. "Acorn" lugs are bevelled and try to self-center, so would tend to bend the stud to fit. One Aussie said his studs kept snapping when he used Euro wheels on his 5x4 Holden decades ago. It is best to use "hub-centric" nylon spacer rings to center the wheel on the hub's center register (can buy on ebay), especially if mag lugs.

There are many other concerns in fitting wheels. If your hub register is bigger than the wheel's center hole, it will never fit. In most cases wheels for modern cars, even RWD ones, have too much back-space, which would leave the wheels sunken in on our cars. You can use wheel spacers, within reason, but they can cause issues bearings, loosening, ...). One catalot of interest [ame]http://www.prestigewheel.com/CatalogWholesale/Finalcatalog.pdf[/ame]

Thanks Bill ! You always come through with somthing interesting every time you post. VERY good info EVERYONE should read. My Daughter and I both Thank you, Tim (Dad) :thumleft:

Tire Rack's chart (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92) suggests that 5 x 100mm and 5 x 4" bolt patterns are identical. I know the math doesn't work, but perhaps "100" is nominal. 5 x 4.5" exactly matches the metric 5 x 114.3 mm pattern, but maybe a nod to Chevy's.

The 2 sizes are not the same and no amount of internet misinfomation will make them the same. I have personally installed a set of chrysler made 5X100mm dodge daytona "crab" wheels onto my sbp 65 valiant. The do NOT line up in the bolt holes I did not ever put weight on the wheel because you can see the mismatch clear as day.

The only reason people think that they can get away with this foolishness is due to the fact that the metric pattern also uses a 12mm stud instead of 7/16." The difference between 12mm and 7/16 is approximately 1mm, so there is the slop needed to fit the rim over a sbp stud. It is NOT centered and will put excessive side load on the stud when it draws into the conical dish on the rim.

If you used shanked washer style lug nuts with matching rims and they had enough slop around the body of the lug nut you might me able to get away with this but I would not do it to mine.

I still say swap to BBP, sell your K-H setup to offset the cost of the BBP stuff, and open the world of wheel choices to your daughter!! All this trying to convince yourself that the 5x100 pattern will work is just confusing the issue.

I'm also with the camp that says that no information from the internet is going to be accurate...it is written by someone who has no clue about the size requirements of older cars, and all they know is what they read. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the company that sells the wheels has NEVER mocked them up on a 65 Cuda, or whatever your daughters car is!! Any input from them is just a reiteration of what they read straight from the book in front of them. Of course they'll work, its just a couple mm's off!! Thats like saying "I won the lottery"...well sort of...I had 5 numbers so I won SOME money, not the big money... but SOME money!!

Still say BBP, and sell your K-H stuff!! Geof

Another option is to narrow an 8 3/4" and go to the bigger bolt pattern. We narrowed the rear end with the 15X8 Torque Thrusts' standard back spacing in mind to center the tire in the stock wheel well. Put 11" drums on back and manual discs up front.

Attachments

• Cuda LVMS sm.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 333
You know that you can transfer the brakes from the 7 1/4 rear(since new) to a bbp rear either 8 3/4 or 8 1/4 and they will work(still need right drums for pattern). I gave away all the 5 x4 brakes from sister-in-laws barracuda, but I did try one of my dodge Omni 5x100 wheels and it was not going to work, but did not bolt it on.

What ever you decide.

UPDATE I bought some 17's from Ron's wheels, "Trashstars" from "Showheels" and it is the 5 X 4 bolt pattern. Thanks All , Tim (Dad)
:thumblef:

On my 66 I put bigger bp on and disc brakes all around and got 15by10.5 on rear without relocating springs but put SS springs on and 3 way drag shocks and have 15by4 on front

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 243
You have probably seen mine elsewhere, but will repost anyway. 65 Dart, Mustang 18x8.5 polished five spokes, needed the Explorer rearend for proper spacing out back (you have to move the springs in) and needed the triangular tube type upper control arms from Dillenger suspension to get turning radius. The rims hit the upper control arm on the inside due to the 6.3 inch back space. Full turning radius now

Attachments

• 7 14 2013 210.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 227
-
Back