170 Thermostat?

-
You come to a dirt track in middle Georgia and say that stupid **** and you won't make it out alive. Tell some of them boys they caint tune an engine or hot motors don't make more power. You're delusional sometimes.

If they can keep the coolant temp in check, they are throwing away power.

You can see it on the dyno. You want to make a hero pull, just drop the temp. And that’s not even changing the tune up.

…says the guy who thinks he heard that there's a 200° maximum red limit line and stuff, and just took that as gospel truth.

Of course I'm just joshin' ya; I fully realise that whatever opinion you want to make up and hold obviously beats the laws of physics and thermodyamics and other egghead stuff cool kids don't care about. Hey, has anyone ever tried a negative 170° thermostat? Who's to say it wouldn't work? With it opening way below zero like that, why, just think how far from the maximum red limit line you'd be, and how many more extra horsepowers you'd make that way!

It’s not a theory SSD. It’s a provable FACT. You can test it on a dyno, you can test it at the track.

Tell a Comp Eliminator or Pro Stock guy, where horsepower matters that they are pissing away power by running the engines at 120 degrees.

You come to a dirt track in middle Georgia and say that stupid **** and you won't make it out alive. Tell some of them boys they caint tune an engine or hot motors don't make more power. You're delusional sometimes.

I forgot to mention my wife says I’m delusional MOST of the time. And then I ask her who she married! And blessed silence follows that!

My 367 ran hot, at under 30mph from day-one. So hot that if I shut it off. it would lock up, and I would have to wait ~30 minutes with the hood open, before attempting a restart. It killed a couple of starters. I tried everything to fix it. Finally I took it out and honed the cylinders out .001, and regapped the top rings to a .032 to .034.... IIRC
Problem solved,
So much so, that I increased the minimum coolant temp to 195, and adjusted the Thermostatic clutch to a lil hotter. I got the idea to run hotter from Smokey's book. So now it runs at 207 rock-steady.

IDK if my car would be any faster with a lower stat, but I do know that it went 93 in the Eighth @3457 pounds, at 950 or so feet, with a 230*@.050 cam, at 207*F , on a hot July afternoon. I think my car likes 207; anyway, it's been there since about 2001. The timed run didn't come until 2004 IIRC. Or maybe it was 2007,I forget.
Edit; OOTB Edelbrock heads @10.95 Scr.

AJ, how do you adjust a thermostatic fan clutch?

You guys should think about YRs plan; Listen to the whole plan; quit just hearing the contrary part.
I for one am intrigued,and, on a dedicated set-up, I think it holds merit, and I'm staying tuned.
And here's why; Think about running 170psi or more, with iron heads and full timing, on pumpgas. Isn't that a streeter's dream?
Rules are made to be broken. I, for one, no longer believe the part of the world that we walk on, and sail ships on, is, what I was taught that it was. There are other valid models. But it requires creative thinking; something that is not given to everyone.
Like the 32mpgs I was once talking about; Just because your car can't do it, doesn't mean that it's impossible.
I mean, think about gravity. The first time you heard about it, in grade-school; do you remember how insanely stupid it sounded? No? Well I do. But I bought it , and I believed it, for 55 or more years.
After all that, making more power at 170*, should be an easy pill to swallow.
Bring it on @yellow rose

You guys should think about YRs plan; Listen to the whole plan; quit just hearing the contrary part.
I for one am intrigued,and, on a dedicated set-up, I think it holds merit, and I'm staying tuned.
And here's why; Think about running 170psi or more, with iron heads and full timing, on pumpgas. Isn't that a streeter's dream?
Rules are made to be broken. I, for one, no longer believe the part of the world that we walk on, and sail ships on, is, what I was taught that it was. There are other valid models. But it requires creative thinking; something that is not given to everyone.
Like the 32mpgs I was once talking about; Just because your car can't do it, doesn't mean that it's impossible.
I mean, think about gravity. The first time you heard about it, in grade-school; do you remember how insanely stupid it sounded? No? Well I do. But I bought it , and I believed it, for 55 or more years.
After all that, making more power at 170*, should be an easy pill to swallow.
Bring it on @yellow rose

We will find out soon if I’m a horses *** or not. I’ve been 11.5:1 on iron headed pump gas, but not 12.

Was going to do it on my own junk first, but my buddy has some kind of weird faith in me. He very well may be misguided.

We will find out soon if I’m a horses *** or not. I’ve been 11.5:1 on iron headed pump gas, but not 12.

Was going to do it on my own junk first, but my buddy has some kind of weird faith in me. He very well may be misguided.

We've already known you were a horse's *** for years. Now whether your plan is gonna work or not......that's another story.

-
Back