17's on a 1962 Valiant Wagon

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Thinking about putting some 17's all the way around on my 1962 Wagon, anyone know what rims will fit to include BS. I'm currently running an all stock suspension drum brakes all around and 7 1/4 rear for now will be putting disc SBP H&K brakes with stock rotors on front and looking for a 8 3/4 just cannot find one local as of yet.

Attachments

• 1962 Wagon 013.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,043
Thinking about putting some 17's all the way around on my 1962 Wagon, anyone know what rims will fit to include BS. I'm currently running an all stock suspension drum brakes all around and 7 1/4 rear for now will be putting disc SBP H&K brakes with stock rotors on front and looking for a 8 3/4 just cannot find one local as of yet.

We mocked up some of our 17x7's on Jason's 63 Valiant wagon and there was plenty of clearance. 17x8's would be a little tight, but maybe doable. The back spacing on the 7's is 4.5".

-Chris

i'd say a 17x7 with 4.25-1.5 backspace.

think the car would look awesome with 17inch wheels and tires.

Your car and your choice, of course; I don't get a vote. Which leaves me free to say: Gack. You gonna gold-plate all the emblems and black out all the lights and put big phake-diamond-encrusted 17 badges on the fenders, too? Bling bling, yo-yo-ghetto-yo!

Your car and your choice, of course; I don't get a vote. Which leaves me free to say: Gack. You gonna gold-plate all the emblems and black out all the lights and put big phake-diamond-encrusted 17 badges on the fenders, too? Bling bling, yo-yo-ghetto-yo!

Lol...
I'm starting to warm up to the bigger wheels, even have a budget project touring car in the works. I know a lot of guys don't care for the big wheels. But really is there anything more goofier than running the original 13" rubber band wheels and tire on our A body cars?

To the original poster the wagon would look 10x better with some new shoes. The Motech wheels would be a good bang for the buck.

The 13" kiddy-kar wheels are almost equally dumb (I say "almost" because they're the only ones that take most of the pre-'70 original A-body wheelcovers, durnit).

Fortunately it's not a choice between two kinds of dumb; there are many other options (such as this one).

Another thing to keep in mind: the idler arm mount on the early A-bodies is kinda weak and willowy. Adequate for 13" or 14" wheels, but start putting giant wheels and tires on and you're throwing much more load on that arm/mount than it was designed for. The same applies to the rest of the steering linkage -- tie rods and ends, ball joints, etc. The linkage and ball joints are easy enough to beef up with off-the-shelf parts; the idler arm mount requires custom fabrication to beef up.

I think that wagon would look AWESOME with the right set of 17's. :D

I think 17's are about perfect for most of the 60's and 70's musclecars. You can still get enough sidewall that it doesn't look like you're running rubber bands, and the added diameter actually lets you run more backspace (tie rod ends fit inside the lip of the rim) so you can run wider tires and more modern compounds and tread designs so that you can actually improve handling A LOT.

Dan does have a point about the steering parts, although I personally think almost all of the steering parts are plenty strong enough once you get past the '67 design idlers, the 67 and earlier idlers were pretty much maxed out stock being set up in single shear and all. 9/16" tie rod ends are just fine, although tubular tie rods are a good idea vs the C channel stockers.

I run my Challenger with 275/40/17's, with all the stock steering parts including the c-channel tie rods, and haven't had any issues so far. I'm sure a set of tubular tie rods and new ends would tighten things up though.

Braking is definitely something to consider running larger rims and tires. You'll probably be adding some rotating mass, especially if you're going to run wider tires. The larger rims give you more space to run larger rotors too, and the additional traction means you can put more braking force to the ground as well. I run the LBP 11 3/4" rotors off the later mopars, and 11" rear drums. Fills up those big rims better, and really gives you some extra whoa power.

IMG_3018.jpg

It is my belief that eventually we are going to have to go to a larger wheel. Think about how many tire manufactories are depending on the 16 and larger wheels now days. My friend who owns an older model VW bug has a hard time finding 15" tires. He said he used to use Firestone but they quit making them. Then he went to another brand tire from Pep Boys and he said that they quit making those as well. Its getting to where the 15" are slowly becoming harder to get like the 13" and 14". It's not immediately happening but its headed that way.

It is my belief that eventually we are going to have to go to a larger wheel. Think about how many tire manufactories are depending on the 16 and larger wheels now days. My friend who owns an older model VW bug has a hard time finding 15" tires. He said he used to use Firestone but they quit making them. Then he went to another brand tire from Pep Boys and he said that they quit making those as well. Its getting to where the 15" are slowly becoming harder to get like the 13" and 14". It's not immediately happening but its headed that way.

Absolutely true. Especially true for anything wider than a 215/60/15. Decent number of options for a 215/60, but step up to a 225/60 and you're down to half a dozen choices. Bigger than 225/60? Pretty much down to a BFG TA, if they're in stock. And most of those tires are all season touring tires, almost nothing in the way of true performance tires.

I don't think the 15's will go away, but your options are going to be extremely limited. They're already pretty limited compared to 17's and 18's.

72bluNblu, I love the look of the wheel and tire combo you are running on your Challenger. That is the look I'm after. Same rims and all, now if I can get some one to photo copy them on my wagon that would be cool.

17's aren't big wheels Dan, they are the beginning of an era where 14 and 15 inch tires are either hard to find, hard to get or hard on your pockets. I could understand your feeling towards 20 or 22 inch wheels yet not as an update to your vehicle where another person finds its easier to replace than to spend 2 weeks at a motel waiting for your tire to arrive while stuck in the desert.

My personal belief is that 17's look a heck of a lot better than reversing the shackles on a Mopar which persons have done for many years.

Sorry Dan, but some of your thoughts are outdated maybe you should try a little BC bud and relax..

I say,go for it! 17 's will wake the look up.How many 62 wagons you see with them? It is easier to fine 17 inch tires,than 15's in certain sizes.

Seems I remember reading somewhere that out of all the larger wheels to go with, 17s make the least sense. Something about the selection of tires is limited as compared to 16s, 18s, etc.

If you can make it look good (I mean, if you like it) then do it!. My opinion is that it will look great if they are a little tucked in (not 4x4 style).

That challenger looks solid and meaty with 17s and wow 275 width and does not look like rubber bands around 22s at all.

I think lots of folks are really afraid of getting near the hooptie 4x4 or slammed look. You can run 18s, even 20s and still manage to stay away from the hooptie look. Heck, you can get 20s on the new Challenger and looks fine. Probably handles like a champ too.

The upside of bigger wheels with less sidewall is way less flex. Heck, we have a very stiff suspension 4200 pound car on factory 15x 6.5 with 255-60-15 BFG and the tires squirm, jelly donut and flex all over the place when running in and out of turns. Its seriously, jelly donuts. Of course, the wheels and tires dont match the suspension plan very well right now..

On my Duster I am shooting for 17s with 255-45, I care about filling the wheel wells, wide contact patch, and going heavy into curves.

72bluNblu, I love the look of the wheel and tire combo you are running on your Challenger. That is the look I'm after. Same rims and all, now if I can get some one to photo copy them on my wagon that would be cool.

Thanks!

The rims are Summit Legend 5's. Mine are 17x9" with a 5" backspace, though they also make them in 17x8 with 4.5 or 5.25 bs. I'm guessing that a 17x9 may be a little much for the wagon!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-141-7865GM0/

Seems I remember reading somewhere that out of all the larger wheels to go with, 17s make the least sense. Something about the selection of tires is limited as compared to 16s, 18s, etc.

News to me. I suppose it depends on what size you're looking for. But 245/45/17's are offered in nearly every tread pattern imaginable, and they're a pretty good fit for most A bodies. 255's and 275 series tires are also plentiful. Now, when you get wider than 275 things start to get limited again, especially in the right profiles. 18's are a little better in the selection department with the 285-305 size tires. Now, if you want tires that are narrower than 225 in a 17" rim, I can see where you wouldn't have any options.

As far as 16's, good luck. The selection for 16's is worse than 15's for performance tires. Truck tires have a lot of 16" offerings, but not performance tires unless you're strictly talking about racing tires. There are still some popular race tires available in 16's.

**Edit**

Here's your photoshop! I'm not all that great at it, but better than nothing. I assumed the 17's were a little taller than the tires you have currently, the 275/40/17 is only 25.6" tall so it's not all that tall of a tire. Anyway, I used that assumption to scale the wheels on my Challenger over to the wagon. Now you just need to lower that wagon...

Attachments

• 1962 Wagon 013.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 653
15"x 7" Steelies with 60 series tires.........White letter BFG's

Pretty sure this thread isn't about 15x7 steelies with 60 series tires. You don't have to agree with what 38Dodge wants to do with HIS car...

News to me. ...

I read it here on the forum somewhere. Anyhoo, I used to not like the mafungo wheels on stuff....but I've kinda lightened up some. I've found a few that I like and if done right I'm sure it'll look good.

In my personal opinion, the front wheels don't fit right on the green 62. They are out at the fender a little too far. If it had different front brakes with a narrower track, they would fit perfect. A friend of mine built the car, but the new owner put the Americans on it.

-
Back