1956 Dodge Hardtop, Stripped Oil Plug and Oil Extractor Options?

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Spent a nice weekend working on the old girls. Blasting Pink Floyd and having a few beers.

The 56 HT has a stripped oil pan plug. Been under the car all Sunday trying to get it off. I just can't get a grip on it and making matters worse the steering rod is directly behind the plug making it impossible to get a ratchet or hammer on a extractor nut. Built a tool I thought would work by drilling a hole through my 1 1/8 socket so I could get it on the plug and put a bar through it for leverage....but...nope. Just slips off. Heating it up doesn't work because you just can't get a grip on anything or bang it loose.

So I have admitted defeat and based on some recommendations from some car buddies I bought one of those manual oil extractors.

I got this one. It was on sale for $85 CDN. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LCEWR4A/?tag=joeychgo-20

Never used one before. My friend raves about them. Anybody using them? Experiences? What brand or model is everyone using?

Here are some pics from the weekend.

20180825_215250_zpstjxmihes.jpg

20180825_160721_zpsmnq26df0.jpg

If the flats are gone from the plug end, pipe wrenches were designed to grip round surfaces & small ones are much cheaper than that tool.

Oil extractor wont get the sediment out. Pipe wrench as mentioned.
The head on that plug is shallow.
The taper on the socket leading edge doesent leave much to grab.
Couple that with a 1-1/8 hex,some think tighter is betterer.
And here you are, fighting.
Pipe wrench no workie, then air chisel. Carefully! Dont want to make a hole. Well, you do, but not a second one.

are you saying the head is rounded off, but the plug itself is still tight in the pan ?

i would try one of these

4EAC2_AS01.jpg

I have removed rounded off bolts by grinding or cutting a slot across the bolt head, and then using a large screwdriver with a hex shank that I can get a wrench on. Works well unless the bolt is very tight or frozen, but that's not likely on an oil pan bolt. I'd give that method a try. You can cut the slot fairly quickly with a dremel, or in a pinch, even a hacksaw blade. Make sure you go deep enough to allow the screwdriver blade to really get a purchase on the material.
Another method I've used is to weld a nut on to the rounded off bolt head, and take it off normally.

Thanks guys. Tooljunkie nailed it when he said the head on that plug is shallow. Causing me lots of headaches. That and the steering rod that impedes most angles of attack.

I thought of filing the actual plug so the sides were more straight then try a pipe wrench. I'll give it a try before my oil extractor arrives.

Last edited:
Agree about the taper...you may want to grind down the open end on your modified socket to get past the taper and try again.

Hmmm....hadn't thought of that!

That's two new ideas! Thanks guys.

If you have an air chisel or access to one I'd try that first, grab one of the flats and try to pound the plug counter clockwise. This can be done with a hammer and cold chisel if you don't have access to an air chisel
Second option would be to weld a nut onto the plug to give you something a little better to put a wrench on, plus the heat will help break the plug free.

-
Back