1958 Super Red Ram HELP

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
i got a opportunity to buy a 1958 super red ram was wondering if i should swap the original "NOT" commando 273 for it?? any advice should i do the swap and what will be the gains? engine numbers are D533-53097....Never even heard of the engine before.. Thanks a lot the car I'm putting it in is a 1965 barracuda not formula s

Attachments

• 00r0r_6qaMscfRpcl_600x450.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 465
Is the 273 the original motor for the cuda? I would not put that in the cuda. If you can get it cheap I would buy it. Could go to a D-500 Coronet.

looks like a poly with a 2 bbl.I think a super red ram was a hemi with 2 4 bbls....................................................Jeff

My question is will that Hemi even fit? If yes I'd do the Hemi. That is a Red Ram Hemi Right? LOL.

Thats a Poly, not a Hemi, the giveaway is the valve covers.

If you want to do something nobody else has, then I say go for it. However, if its the same dimensions as a 318 Poly (318 wideblock), wideblock being the key word, I bet you'll have some fitment issues.

Those valve covers look like a 318 poly...

Nothing wrong with a poly or wide block 318 if you have the right car to put it in. But IMO not A body. Tough to find parts for it and it is WIDE!! O yes and HEAVY. The head design is a pre Hemi thinking design. Not bad with right vehicle. I had a 61 fury 4 door with that engine, wide block 318, and believe me in that boat no one would use the word performance to describe it.

That's WAY different than a poly 318. The heads are much more scalloped. If it is a 58 Dodge Super Red Ram, it is a 350 cubic inch engine. Probably make some good power.

My concerns would be if it will physically fit. If it will. what exhaust? Certainly, there probably are no stock manifolds that will fit that engine in that chassis.

I am almost 100% positive the mount ears are the same as they are on the early Hemi. That means all you have to do to get it to bolt in is cut one ear off the driver's side motor mount from the 273 and reposition it on the opposite side and weld I on. Done deal. But again, what in the world will you do for exhaust?

That's WAY different than a poly 318. The heads are much more scalloped. If it is a 58 Dodge Super Red Ram, it is a 350 cubic inch engine. Probably make some good power.

My concerns would be if it will physically fit. If it will. what exhaust? Certainly, there probably are no stock manifolds that will fit that engine in that chassis.

I am almost 100% positive the mount ears are the same as they are on the early Hemi. That means all you have to do to get it to bolt in is cut one ear off the driver's side motor mount from the 273 and reposition it on the opposite side and weld I on. Done deal. But again, what in the world will you do for exhaust?

I agree not a poly. Havent seen one in a while.

Ok investigated Super red ram is a 270 CI Hemi engine. The red Ram is a 270 CI poly head engine, Debuted in 55
1955 Dodge engines

There are three engines used in the 55 Dodges - the Getaway Six, the Red Ram V8, and the super Red Ram V8. The flathead six displaced 230 cubic inches. The Red Ram V8 was a polysphere (single rocker shaft) and was used in the Coronet V8 and Royal series as standard equipment. The Super Red Ram V8 displaced 270 cubic inches (like the Red Ram V8) and had hemispherical combustion chambers. This engine had double rocker shafts and old timers called it the "double rocker" instead of the more familiar "Hemi." The Hemi is standard on all Custom Royal series and is optional on all Coronet V8 and Royal series cars. The two V8s share many internal components, and will accept manifolds and other components from the 53 and 54 Dodge Hemi of 241 cubic inch displacement. The six is a flathead and definitely not state-of-the-art for 1955. I have driven both Red Ram and Super Red Ram Dodges and can honestly say that there is a marked difference in performance. The late fifties were a time of inflated horsepower figures, but the 1955 figures were based on engines with accessories and were even a bit conservative. The Super Red Ram could be ordered with the power package (4 barrel, dual exhaust) which puts it way out ahead of the Red Ram in terms of power.
The horsepower figures were measured with these power consuming accessories: generator, water pump, manifolds, fuel pump. The Red Ram has low friction valve locks to allow for valve rotation while the Super Red Ram does not have a special provision for valve rotation.
The power package is a very rare option. The Carter carburetor is of a surprisingly modern design with metering rods on the primary jets and velocity valves controlling air flow to the secondaries. This is very similar to the Carter AFB, the carburetor used on the 426 Hen-Is. Dual exhausts were also part of the power package. No other modifications were made to the engine when the power package was installed.

Early poly's are impossible to get parts for, I had a '55 Coronet that had the 270cid. nothing from early polys will interchange with the later "wide block" 318 poly either. it's a conversation piece if anything. Prior to 1959 each division had their own versions of them too. Desoto had one, Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth all had versions of the Poly and Hemi and nothing interchanged.

NO its not. its a HEMI if it is a SUPER red ram

It is a Poly Super Red Ram. Not all Super Red Rams were hemis. Put your glasses on and look at the valve covers. It is a poly engine.

Thats a Poly, not a Hemi, the giveaway is the valve covers.

If you want to do something nobody else has, then I say go for it. However, if its the same dimensions as a 318 Poly (318 wideblock), wideblock being the key word, I bet you'll have some fitment issues.

This! Valve covers on a Hemi have spark plug tubes. Dead give away. Confusion is the use of Super Red Ram and Red Ram. Looks like a poly to me.

NO its not. its a HEMI if it is a SUPER red ram

Unfortunately, I'm old enuff to have worked on all these engines,, and I never met a hemi that didn't have the sp. plug tubes in the middle of the valve cover, thus centering the plug in the combustion chamber .. The one pictured is a poly..

hope it helps

Then the info is wrong about the super and the not super

Correct this engine is not a hemi. Strange markings on valve covers. Had to put on my glasses!!

1955 Dodge offered (3) versions.... RedRam = poly head 2bbl. Super RedRam =4bbl.poly and lastly ...a Super Red Ram 4bbl. "dual Rocker" (hemi) head 270. If I recall, it's been 6yrs since I had mine and read everything I could on them. So don't shoot the messenger.

1955 Dodge offered (3) versions.... RedRam = poly head 2bbl. Super RedRam =4bbl.poly and lastly ...a Super Red Ram 4bbl. "dual Rocker" (hemi) head 270. If I recall, it's been 6yrs since I had mine and read everything I could on them. So don't shoot the messenger.
What i found had no mention of non hemi super red ram

I don't have the car anymore, but it was a listed option in the owners manual and the old Motors Manual I have at home. If I can find it, I will copy and post.

-
Back