1959 nash metropolitan

-
Weird..an old girlfriend owned on as well..I had to look at the pics to see if was the same :)

Grassy

Aaah Superclean! Thats stuff kicks *** even cut as far as 40:1! It'll clean a stainless sink without using abrasives. I used to like Simple Green until this stuff came along.
Slantscamp, if you use it straight I don't think you'll ever get it to quit making bubbles...and mixed strong enough it will take paint off of a poorly prepped surface. It gets under the paint and cleans the grease out from under it. Just FYI.
A little kerosene followed by the Superclean will make safe, short work of heavily greased areas.

Alan627b

Here's the '62 I had years ago. A lot of fun but a bit slow for the freeway.

100_6247.jpg

i had one in MI in the 70s,neat car but the roads tore it up,potholes,never took it on the freeway,semi's looked toooo BIG

The last Nash like this I seen was at a car show, two tone pinkish and white with a small modification "454 cu. in."...not hard to get sideways.
I thought I had a pic but I don't.

The last Nash like this I seen was at a car show, two tone pinkish and white with a small modification "454 cu. in."...not hard to get sideways.
I thought I had a pic but I don't.

Now you're talking. I remember seeing a Colt w/440-6pk - frightening!

Oh, also recall a Buick Opel w/455, 6-71 + 2 bigass carbs . . . insane

hey guys, well we got some more work done on the met. new springs and bushings installed and painted and intalled the rear dif. we have been busy cleaning and painting parts. we also have a box of new parts to put the motor back together. water pump, fuel pump, oil pump.... all that good stuff. enjoy the pictures.

P5122419.jpg

P5122425.jpg

P5122421.jpg

P5122424.jpg

P5122429.jpg

P5162437.jpg

P5162439.jpg

P5162436.jpg

P5162441.jpg

Cool that lil buggr comin along nicely big thumbsup

hey guys, so i spent the day cleaning, painting, and installing parts on the metropolitans engine. i made some progress, but it takes time. i also installed the new freeze plugs and painted the exhaust manifold with some por-15 exhaust paint. we will see how it holds up. i think my wagon got a little jealous though. later in the day, shara came in and said it looked like the wagon was leaking coolant. sure enough i went out and it had a little puddle. just a loose hose clamp though. i guess i should have snugged those back up after i put them on. oh well. here is a pic of the engine. its finally starting to come back together.

P6212517.jpg

ok, well i decided we better do the floors in this thing befor i put the engine and transmission back in. only problem? i didnt know how to weld and have never done anything like this before. so i have a couple older friends that were welders in the navy. i bought a welder, and have been getting lessons from them. they told me my welds are good and to start welding up the floors. i have also learned that its more time consuming making floor pans and patches than it is to weld them in. i did a small patch last week. and yesterday i started the drivers side floor pan patch. today i finished triming it up after work, but was too tired to get into welding it up. so far i am into the patch panels for 30 dollars, vs. the 500 dollars they wanted for new floor pans.

P8082887.jpg

P8082889.jpg

P8082891.jpg

P8082893.jpg

P8082894.jpg

Very cool project. I would like to build one of these for a daily commuter.

Mike

That brings back memories one of the first cars i worked on was a met same color, a guy next door said his son and i could work on it we took it apart but never got it running his father got rid of it. We have several runnin around here one has a buick stage 3 455 full blown in it another has a 460 ford hillborn injected and another has a small block chevy. Cool little cars, some how the engine looked bigger on the one we worked on maybe because we were only 12 maybe.

well the floor patches are almost done. i spent the day cutting out the passenger side, then made a patch and started welding it in. i ran out of daylight though. tomorrow i am going to finish welding it up, then por-15 the floors and undercoat the bottom.

Looking good!
I bet your g/f will be excited when she can drive around in it!

well i have some more pictures of my progress. last week i put the engine and transmission back in, and today i filled the float bowl, and after a few tries, it fired it up. oil pressure shot right up to 62 psi and stayed. the reason i pulled the engine is because it wouldnt hold pressure. i am trying to get it ready for a show on sep. 18th. so now i just need to do the brakes and flush the fluids in the transmission and rear end and install the new exhaust. oh and work out all the bugs. i had one little oil leak, but it looked like it was coming from the pan, so i snugged the bolts up, and didnt notice any more spots. oh and i por-15'd the new floor pans and installed the new carpet. what a difference that made on the interior. now im going to bed. im tired.

You can always do this with it! Seen this a couple years ago at Car Craft Nats.

Here's a couple of additional 'alternative' Metros from SoCal.
The blown one shows up at a lot of shows, nasty idle but all he does is idle it around.
The 2nd one was at a local cruise a couple of months ago. The little Nissan engine almost looked like a natural for it.
Enjoy!

-
Back