1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
It's been a long time coming but I have an engine and transmission installed! I wanted to put the 13 sec 225 in but I needed to change the pan and figured I would just stuff my aluminum motor in and let it go. Some of y'all know I have a job in Texas I have to start in about 3 weeks so I have to stop working on the Lancer and get packed. So I just got some stuff installed and I am putting the wagon on the back burner for a while. I am loading the Lancer and the 73 Colt into the enclosed trailer to move and I will get back to it once I get out to Dallas and get settled. Here are some pictures of what I got done this weekend. Enjoy!

The last picture is what drives me CRAZY about MOPAR. 2 passenger side motor mounts. 1st one is what fits the 62 the second is from the 67. They put a jog in the early one and it clears the aluminum oil pump. The second one hits hard but clears a steel pump on the 67. Damn, did we need to redesign the mounts on a slant six? REALLY? That took an hour, just glad I have a million slant six parts around the garage.

Last I want to say that one on my really good freinds Jerry and his wife came by the house today to wish me goodbye. Jerry and I go back to high school together and I am going to miss him! He has a righteous 65 Barracuda that runs in the 10's with a 340. Really nice car and even a better Mopar Dude! Thanks for everything Jerry. We will see each other again soon and this gives you an excuse to come to DFW and enjoy a vacation!

Attachments

• IMG_4713_25.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • IMG_4717_25.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_4708_25.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,206
I wound up slotting the biscut type braket I had for my 64....it was out of a 71 on a 75 225. It was either that or try and make the spool mounts I have work:sign11:

A couple of pictures getting packed for move to Dallas. I got the Colt into a 8 by 6 foot area in the front of the trailer. This picture is the WHOLE CAR. All the body panels, quarters, doors, fender, roof, etc. I can't wait to start that project. Second picture is the Lancer with the hood finally installed going into the trailer. Won't have much to post for the next few months as I get moved and find a house and garage. Thanks for all your comments and best wishes!

Attachments

• IMG_4728_25.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_4727_25.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,189
wagon is looking kool,,,,,,, why the move??? job?? let us know how the weather,, and job market is there,,,, i know if u like live music,,,its still alive and well in texas,,,,,hope u speak spanish,,,

wagon is looking kool,,,,,,, why the move??? job?? let us know how the weather,, and job market is there,,,, i know if u like live music,,,its still alive and well in texas,,,,,hope u speak spanish,,,

Thanks on the wagon!
Retired from government service, 32 years. I have a new job with eurocopter in DFW. Only have my kids left, really nothing besides great friends keeping us here in VA. Wanted to get out west and this is close. Great adventure for a couple of old farts. We will see!

good luck with the new location,,,keep us posted please,,, also looking for a new destination,,,,and dont give up on the wagon

good luck with the new location,,,keep us posted please,,, also looking for a new destination,,,,and dont give up on the wagon

Will do fstfish66! Not sure where on east coast you are but I am looking forward to somewhat lower humity and not being so close to the coast, flooding sucks! DFW has a lot to offer! We will keep in touch!

The wagon's looking good. Welcome to Texas.

Thanks Mikebarg! I think the wagon is looking good also, still lots to do! I am looking forward to the move to Texas. Just spent all day loading a POD and I have loaded 5 engines, 6 transmissions, heads, rears, etc. Have 6 more days of loading parts! Many thanks to my friend Bob, he is the Man!

cant imagine not liking va,,,,im not a fan of humidity either or the cold,,,lol i moved back to S,E PA from chicago, to get away from the massive traffic,wind ,cold and tons of snow,,only to have the snow finally catch up to me here in S,E PA,, only thing i miis about the midwest is the great food and people,,,

i have some friends in texas i have lost contact with,that play music,, country, and blues,,,seems texas is the only place a local band has a place to play these days,,,

Great project. You don't see one of those on every corner.

Welcome to Texas. I hope you're not expecting to escape the cold weather and snow. LOL

Great project. You don't see one of those on every corner.

Welcome to Texas. I hope you're not expecting to escape the cold weather and snow. LOL

Yea, whats up with that? Been watching the weather and yall were doing lots better than us, then bam! Cold and Ice. Well it has to be a shorter bad weather season, and the Lancer came from Tx, I'm just taking her back home.

is there a reason you did not media blast the car?
how much did the venolia pistons cost?
what grade did u use to wet sand the wheels.
32 mpg with the feather duster....how much u figure that car weighed..?

ps. we purchased new correct lugs for our 1968 Dodge Dart w/aluminum slots wheels off ebay..they were like $35-40 set if memory serves me.

our slants..
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

is there a reason you did not media blast the car?
how much did the venolia pistons cost?
<I got them new, but used! I paid $100.00 a long time ago!>
what grade did u use to wet sand the wheels.
<I used, 320, 400, 500, 1000, 1200, 1500 and then 2000, then polish>
32 mpg with the feather duster....how much u figure that car weighed..?
< Stock Duster, maybe 3K. Mine had cardboard headliner and pop out rear windows. No junk in the trunk and radials at 35psi. Interstate trip>
ps. we purchased new correct lugs for our 1968 Dodge Dart w/aluminum slots wheels off ebay..they were like $35-40 set if memory serves me.
<These Fenton mags are weird, still need left hand lugs. Fenton Only>
our slants..
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks Stan

OK Stan... need an update on the move to Texas! Hope you and the cars made it safe and all is going well for you there. Forget about the new job and get back on the Lancer project :)

BB (6Slant)

OK Stan... need an update on the move to Texas! Hope you and the cars made it safe and all is going well for you there. Forget about the new job and get back on the Lancer project :)

BB (6Slant)

Bobbbbbbbbby! I called and left a message on your phone. Still living in a hotel, Deb is out here this week and we are looking for a house with a garage. Lancer is still sitting in the trailer waiting to see the sun again! Just a matter of time. I have been to Germany and Tennessee since I got out here, Germany again for a month here in a couple of weeks. Soon, Soon.

limbo huh?...

Well just bought a house and moved in last week. The garage on the house is full of the stuff that we are going to move into the house. So till that gets clear enough I can't do anything. This house doesn't have a detached garage YET, and the HOA won't let me park the trailer in the driveway so I have some stuff to get taken care of first. Plus 40 straight days of 100+ heat ain't helping either! Soon, soon..........

Thanks to everyone for trying to find lug nuts for my Fenton Gyro Mags. I found a gentleman in California, LUG NUT KING, Raul Gonzalez, www.lugnutking.com. 909 376-8011. He had new lug nuts with new washers and the whole set cost me $25 bucks DELIVERED! 10 RH and 10 LH 7/16 20. NEW! And he sent the order to me with the INVOICE! Tell me the last time a business sent you parts and billed you to pay them. That my friend is old school and I appreciate it! I will recommend Lug Nut King to everyone I know!
Now here is the flip side of that. There is a company in washington state, I won't say the company (AKH wheels). I called him and told him I had a Dodge Lancer, 1962 and I needed Lug Nuts. I told him I needed 7/16 LH and RH. He said no problem I will send you a paypal request. So I get a request for $132 Bucks. So I call and he says well these are new and you get stainless washers and shipping to your door and I gave you a discount. So dummy me, I pay figuring I won't find any anywhere and I don't want to recycle my aluminum wheels. So anyway they show up. And guess what? They are 1/2 20 and the stainless washers? They come out of the box RUSTY! Excuse me, stainless don't rust. So I call and "you didn't tell me you needed 7/16!" Dude, you didn't listen. And the rusty washers? Just send them back for a refund. Never a sorry, no excuse for rusty washers.
So now you have learned what I have. LUG NUT KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is the front wheel mounted to check the lugs. Sorry for all the other stuff not cleaned, wanted to check the wheel and lugs. Last picture is what a $132 dollars worth of lugs look like! OUCH!!!!!

That guy is local, about 30 miles from me. he does all of the western Washington swap meets. Let's just say he's proud of his stuff.

Well it's been 11 months since I did any work on her and to tell you the truth I never thought I would get the chance to. If you are just picking up this thread, my Lancer was stolen in July. It was returned to me through the greatest fortune in Dec 2011.
But lets get to where she is right now. The fools who had her tried to put her back together. So I have to undo tons of stuff that they Dorked up. Here is some of the handy work:
They installed my NOS hood ornament, no telling what they used to mount it, I am afraid to look.
Circus Dash, red and white, are you kidding?
Hand painted dash bezel, 10 year old kids handy work, but it looks great with all the overspray on my gauges.
Check out the gap in the stainless trim install, 1/2 inch.
But taking the cake, install the winsheild wipers on the $600 dollar windsheild with no wipers blades. Really, REALLY, REALLY.
Thanks to Mopar Collector Guide for the Alert. Those guys want to help the family.
And for right now, thank you to everyone who has commented on my loss and my good fortune in getting the car back. You guys are the greatest! Someone said in here that good things happen to good people. Not so sure, but some real good things have happened to me, and I have gotten to know and meet some real good people. I have always tried to do the right thing, so maybe, just maybe this was meant to be. I sure have learned some good lesson from all this.
And finally, thank you FABO! What more can I say. THANK YOU.

Attachments

• IMG_5345_30.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_5344_30.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_5337_30.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_5336_30.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_5330_30.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 828
  • MoparCollectorsGuide_40.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 781
Congrats on getting it back. There may be some things you need to undo or even redo, but at least you don't have to start over. I do believe good things happen to good people.

NOW GET TO WORK ON THAT DETACHED GARAGE.....

Hey Stan, FYI in case you need another down the road. I was checking yesterday on a windshield gasket for my Lancer and found a supplier back east that carries them.

Restoration Specialties

John

Hey Stan, FYI in case you need another down the road. I was checking yesterday on a windshield gasket for my Lancer and found a supplier back east that carries them.

Restoration Specialties

John

That is good to hear. I'm not the only one needing one! Thanks!

Hey if you are in the DFW area tonight on Channel 8 at 10 they are doing a story on the wagon coming home! WFAA 12/13/2011

-
Back