1962 Valiant Signet 200

-
I cleaned it up and the interior is beautiful!
Car needs some more cleaning, chrome polished, etc.
We need to get it running, parts on the way, cannot wait!

Of course it runs and drives. Why wouldn't it? It's a slant 6. lol

It runs! And drives, just doesn't stop, yet.

Very few of them ever had a crankshaft bolt, but they are all threaded. You can clean the threads out good and add a bolt. I did on Vixen.

Matt it really sounds good. That just warms my heart. lol

Matt it really sounds good. That just warms my heart. lol
Good to hear that, I wasn't 100% sure.
I ordered some tune up parts and other things to get it safe and legit to put it back on the road.
There's no interior door lock thingy on this car!

Good to hear that, I wasn't 100% sure.
I ordered some tune up parts and other things to get it safe and legit to put it back on the road.
There's no interior door lock thingy on this car!
Really? Now that's unusual. Vixen has the typical lock pulls on the doors, but only one key cylinder on the driver's door. The passenger's door does not have one.

I guess if I want to lock the doors from the inside I'll have to put the key out the window and lock it.
The front seats don't lock in position either, but that is typical up to at least '67.

The interior lock mechanism is there. It involves moving the interior door handle forward to lock it, rearward to open it. However, in most cases locking the door before closing it usually results in it unlocking itself. I've always had to lock my early cars with the key from the outside after the door is closed.

Nice car. Reading the 1st page I was going to ask where it was and if it was still for sale. Score. Dirt cheap too.
i have a 62 valiant 200 with the aluminum 225 and red interior, still a project

The interior lock mechanism is there. It involves moving the interior door handle forward to lock it, rearward to open it. However, in most cases locking the door before closing it usually results in it unlocking itself. I've always had to lock my early cars with the key from the outside after the door is closed.
I'll have to try that, thank you.
I know at least up to 67 you have to lock the door after it is closed.

Interior done and looking good!
Getting so close with this little car, just in time for winter!

Saw your latest youtube, great job on this one, I would have done exactly the same upgrades, effective but appearance enhancing and inexpensive. Currently looking for a '60-'62 to be a collector car (I'm new to this hobby so thought I would start small and relatively inexpensive with an early Valiant "road toad" similar to the first car I owned, a '62 V200 sedan, white with all-vinyl blue interior). I know you like to just get them functional and looking as good as possible without significant expense, but have you considered repairing the body rust? That's my biggest concern on these rusters, how to deal with it with no training in paint/body work. Also curious how much better a Signet values over the regular V100 and V200 models, from what I have seen Valiants tend to go relatively cheap. Your car would be a real head-turner at Carlisle, just watched 2023 video and there was only one pre-'63 Valiant, an original blue '61 V200 4-dr with blue, black and silver interior, they used it's picture for the video thumbnail. There were dozens of later model A-bodies, literally everywhere you looked on some aisles.

I know you like to just get them functional and looking as good as possible without significant expense, but have you considered repairing the body rust?
Absolutely. We will be repairing it in the future. I found lower fender patch panels but only available overseas, where these cars are extremely popular. There are still salvage yards in the US with parts cars, just need to save up for some rust free metal.

I completely repaired our 62 Dart, floors, frame rails, cowl, firewall, trunk, UCA mounts, the list goes on.
Never picked up a welder until I tried to tackle the Dodge, and it turned out very nice, it's a learning process.

Not sure on the values, I imagine a Signet 200 two door hardtop will bring more $, but wagons bring good $ as well.
The more original, and less rust, probably are the most $.

It's on the road and it is fantastic!
Once again, could not have done it without FABO friends, thank you!

Did you ascertain if the motor is aluminum. Easy to see, no freeze plugs.

Watched the vid, I can see freeze plugs.

The '62 I had in the 70's had an aluminum block. It had head gasket issues for years, overheating if grandpa drove it more than a few miles. It would be extremely rare to find one of those as they were a defective design and would start leaking once they had some miles and/or a few years on them. I replaced mine with a cast iron block when the replacement head gasket didn't solve the problem.

-
Back