1963 Plymouth Valiant Signet Convertible Restoration...HELLLP!!!

-
Reaction score
I am finally moving forward on a budget restoration of my 63 Valiant Convertible. My original engine (Slant Six 170) spun a bearing and I can not find a bottom rebuild kit for it. This car came with the 170, which wouldn't pull the hat off your head, and a Push Button 904 Torqueflight automatic transmission.
The top has dry rotted at the mounts near the side back windows. I am currently budgeting that out and it appears to be going ok; however, I have a 318 with a 727 transmission that came out of a 76 D100 PU. I have a shop doing a budget building the engine for me.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell I am doing...and I admit my shortcomings. This is why I joined here hoping that someone who has done this restoration or one like it can help me.
Questions:
Can I fit the 318 into my Valiant?
Can I put headers on the 318
Can I use my 904..although the bell housing is for a Slant 6 or do I have to use the 727?
I would like to keep my push buttons...can I do this?
Do I have to change the drive shaft?
Can I use the stock rear end?
Please respond if you feel like it and if you have knowledge on this restoration...Thank You

63 Image 1.jpg

63 Image 2.jpg

63 Image 3.jpg

I am finally moving forward on a budget restoration of my 63 Valiant Convertible. My original engine (Slant Six 170) spun a bearing and I can not find a bottom rebuild kit for it. This car came with the 170, which wouldn't pull the hat off your head, and a Push Button 904 Torqueflight automatic transmission.
The top has dry rotted at the mounts near the side back windows. I am currently budgeting that out and it appears to be going ok; however, I have a 318 with a 727 transmission that came out of a 76 D100 PU. I have a shop doing a budget building the engine for me.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the hell I am doing...and I admit my shortcomings. This is why I joined here hoping that someone who has done this restoration or one like it can help me.
Questions:
Can I fit the 318 into my Valiant?
Can I put headers on the 318
Can I use my 904..although the bell housing is for a Slant 6 or do I have to use the 727?
I would like to keep my push buttons...can I do this?
Do I have to change the drive shaft?
Can I use the stock rear end?
Please respond if you feel like it and if you have knowledge on this restoration...Thank You

View attachment 1715514868

View attachment 1715514869

View attachment 1715514871
This has been discussed here before, but the 63 A body has a different fire wall that might interfere with the distributor on a V-8. You may also
be better off using a 904, because a 727 might have clearance problems. To use a push button trans. you would have to use a 65 or older cable
operated trans. 66 up trans. is a slip yoke, lever operated trans.

Yes on the 318.

Small block early A headers are EXPENSIVE!! Like $1K a set.

Your 904 wont fit a small block.

The 727 will require floorplan mods to fit in an early A.

Cannot keep push buttons with that trans either.

Will need a different driveshaft.

Can keep the 7.25 rear end.
At least until it explodes....

Easiest path would be the 318 with a cable shift 904 (to keep the pushbuttons) and then you would not need a driveshaft.
And look for a set of early A 273 exhaust manifolds and motor mounts.
That's the cheapest route.

Seriously consider finding another slant 6- there's actually quite a few around yet. A nice 225 will make life sooo much easier for you.
That said, use the search function to find LOTS of info on a V8 swap- lots of things to be taken into consideration.
Here's one similar to your situation: 318\a904 swap in 65 barracuda
And welcome to the site!
Edit: If you decide to pop another slant in, don't get rid of your 170 right away; you may need various parts off of it to simplify the swap! I.E. oil pan & pickup, carb/linkages, pullies...

Last edited:
Seriously consider finding another slant 6- there's actually quite a few around yet. A nice 225 will make life sooo much easier for you.
That said, use the search function to find LOTS of info on a V8 swap- lots of things to be taken into consideration.
And welcome to the site!
I agree with everyone above also your 318 will need a different oil pan and a v8 steering center link. A nice healthy 225 would be a better "Budget option". By the way is that a Canadian Valiant? I can't tell by the side shot with your helper.

I agree with the others...put another slant in there while you gather the correct parts to make a proper V8 swap. Things like the cable operated V8 trans will be hard to find, the center link, gas pedal assembly, headers, radiator, and other things will take some time to save for and round up as well. Procar1 has done this swap in a 63 Valiant with his son, maybe he will chime in with some tidbits!

Locate a 67 or newer slant, they changed the crankshaft flange at the converter to a larger bore. That way your trans torque converter will bolt together. If you get a 68 up you need to get a spacer bushing to take up the difference. However the bushing is cheap, so get the best motor you can.

This has been discussed here before, but the 63 A body has a different fire wall that might interfere with the distributor on a V-8. You may also
be better off using a 904, because a 727 might have clearance problems. To use a push button trans. you would have to use a 65 or older cable
operated trans. 66 up trans. is a slip yoke, lever operated trans.

Thank You for responding so quickly...quite a bit of information to take in.
This is a good forum for sure.

Yes on the 318.

Small block early A headers are EXPENSIVE!! Like $1K a set.

Your 904 wont fit a small block.

The 727 will require floorplan mods to fit in an early A.

Cannot keep push buttons with that trans either.

Will need a different driveshaft.

Can keep the 7.25 rear end.
At least until it explodes....

Easiest path would be the 318 with a cable shift 904 (to keep the pushbuttons) and then you would not need a driveshaft.

Thank You for responding.
Thank You for this information, I am trying to follow everyone who responded, but a man can get pretty confused in here...lol
And look for a set of early A 273 exhaust manifolds and motor mounts.
That's the cheapest route.

And welcome to the site!
Edit: If you decide to pop another slant in, don't get rid of your 170 right away; you may need various parts off of it to simplify the swap! I.E. oil pan & pickup, carb/linkages, pullies...

Thank You for responding.
I am writing all of this down that all of you have contributed and trying to make a plan of attack.
I looked online for 225, but not an awful lot to choose from, and the ones I have found looked worst than my 170...ha ha

I agree with everyone above also your 318 will need a different oil pan and a v8 steering center link. A nice healthy 225 would be a better "Budget option". By the way is that a Canadian Valiant? I can't tell by the side shot with your helper.

Thank You for responding, No, this isn't a Canadian Valiant...my son really enjoys the car and I was hoping to have this fixed before summer so that we could enjoy it...maybe asking too much.

I agree with the others...put another slant in there while you gather the correct parts to make a proper V8 swap. Things like the cable operated V8 trans will be hard to find, the center link, gas pedal assembly, headers, radiator, and other things will take some time to save for and round up as well. Procar1 has done this swap in a 63 Valiant with his son, maybe he will chime in with some tidbits!

Thank You for responding, I hope to hear from Procar soon, as well.

I did the 273 V8 conversion on my 63 valiant convertible. There is a bump in the firewall Below the wiper motor that you will have to get rid of ( there is nothing behind it ) so I heated it with a torch and pushed it in. You will also need a dropped center link and a center sump oil pan. Mine is a 4 Speed so I’m not sure about what to do with the trans. Most of the parts I used were 68/69 dart. I also used stock manifolds because if you decide to use headers they will need to be fender well headers due to limited space and are very expensive.

If your number one goal is to get it running by summer, the easiest (and fastest) way to accomplish that is to swap in another slant. Put a post in the Wanted section here for a running 225. Be prepared to travel within a reasonable distance to pick it up. Otherwise you're looking at a big, and long, project to use that 318/727.

Nobody has mentioned that your current trans and driveshaft is a Ball & Trunnion style , not a slip joint, so another challenge to overcome. Cooling, electrical, mounts, exhaust, brakes. All doable but going to take time and money.

-
Back