1964 Dart Grüne Hölle Road Course/Track Day/AutoX Project

-
Greg, the new motor is going to be awesome!
What ECU are you going to run?
Thanks John, It will start out 4bbl with a distrubitor first then will go to EFI, then probably a wasted spark coil setup. Megasquirt III will handle the engine management.
Progress! So where's your helper?
Yes Progress is being made. Helper is at home. Kind of cold to be at the unheated garage this time of year.
That EFI setup is cool!
Thanks, We'll see how it goes. I am sure there will be some teething to get it figured out.

4/2/23:

Pulled the Engine apart today down to the short block. - Found my problem.

From all Evidence It was Just a Loosened off Valve lash screw / lock nut. (I remember futzing with the lash a few weeks before I took the last ride in October). - I Must have missed tightening down this 1 adjuster lock screw tight enough or at all.. It kicked out a pushrod and that was it.
So as I remember it It felt like a lost a cylinder and when the car was idling on 5 cylinders the oil pressure went real low like 10 PSI... So I got scared and shut it down... After Pulling all the tins off I think there is no damage to the short block.
- Oil Pump Gear looks Good
- No Glitter in the Oil or pan
- Oil was super clean when drained it last week.
- Oil had been Changed 135 Miles before my lost valve adjuster / push rod.

This short block was on loan to me from my buddy, so it needed to be pulled and replaced anyway, I am glad that I can give him back a block that is not total trash (Hopefully).

Here was the noise maker..
52789503709_0aceef5471_c.jpg

I mocked up the EFI Setup.... The #6 intake runner hits the #6 Exhaust Tube on the header :( :-(
Will hafta to figure this one out. I hate to cut up or ding up this set of headers as they are coated pretty nice as they sit now.
52789721468_4b153ac43b_c.jpg

52788715632_6b49a6e626_c.jpg

52789666395_7df1962122_c.jpg

52789722038_d88f69ce9b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look like it's hitting really badly. Maybe a well placed love dent? Glad there's no major carnage.....so far at least.

5/13/23:

I got the Rotating assembly buttoned up.. it was a comedy of errors there that held me up a bit.
I had a crankshaft that did not fit... then I plucked another crank out of my menagerie of slanted parts.. Got it balanced and polished, So that was sorted out. Next, after getting 5 rods and pistons installed with no issues, the last one did not check out correctly. I found that I had mixed up the caps on the rods when I had cleaned them and disassembled them. I found the correct rod cap installed on another of my core rods in a box. Got that all sorted and degreed the camshaft for 102°
52899696399_7917daa213_c.jpg

I also started to paint the block last night and hope to get some tins on there for the end of the week.

Cool! What rockers are those?
Don't really know for sure. Could be RAS or T&D or something else bespoke... not the yella terra ones from OZ.

I bought them from Howard Davis. I believe they are 1.6 Rollers. He had them setup in a high zoot racing engine. Most of my skookum slant parts have arrived second hand as they are expen$ive.

Don't really know for sure. Could be RAS or T&D or something else bespoke... not the yella terra ones from OZ.

I bought them from Howard Davis. I believe they are 1.6 Rollers. He had them setup in a high zoot racing engine. Most of my skookum slant parts have arrived second hand as they are expen$ive.
You ain't kiddin they are high. I wish that weren't the case, but unfortunately it is. Nice progress!

5/21/23:

I got almost the entire engine finished up today on the build stand.
Did a bunch of small things that add up and take time to get correct.
- Corrected the multiple but small interference issues on the crank scraper(s)
52912886700_1041729596_c.jpg

52912499656_730baafd53_c.jpg

- After I got that all sorted, I "glued down" the crank scrapers with a bead of RTV sealant and let it setup for a few hours whilst I completed other engine building tasks; installing the tins, water pump, etc.
52916056233_d2419a3941_c.jpg

- Got the Block painted:
52912886875_fd825969a7_c.jpg

- Installed the Freeze Plugs and ancillary "stuff" ( oil pressure sending unit, and sensors, oil pump, misc plumbing, and the distributor) on the side of the engine as well as the tins.
52915752919_4d99f117f1_c.jpg
[/url]
]
52916056228_e698ce282c_c.jpg
[/url]

Picture does not show it, but I did get the head installed and torqued down as well as the oil pan - I have a bit more sealing to do to finalize the pan. I set the cold lash, and set the distributor rotor for a "fast fire"

I broke one of the lash adjuster screws, so that is on order from Smith Brothers. It should be here sometime this week.

Another few focused days of work and I should have the engine back running it the car!
I think I will get the engine running and resorted on the Carb then swap to the EFI Bits in the fall or winter.

Nice progress! Please forgive me as I've forgotten...and am too lazy to back read. What pistons did you go with? Final static compression ratio?

0.060" stockers. This combo is a bit less compression than the last one. ~.180" in the hole. = 9.5:1 compression.
Last build had .150" in the hole and was 9.75:1 compression.

0.060" stockers. This combo is a bit less compression than the last one. ~.180" in the hole. = 9.5:1 compression.
Last build had .150" in the hole and was 9.75:1 compression.
Ok gotchya.....stock pistons were kinda stickin out in my mind. I just couldn't remember for sure. To get that high, you must have done a heavy mill on the block and or head. The current engine I have in Vixen now is set up similar.

6/26/23:

This has to be the slowest progressing engine build I have ever done.
Some of it is my fault, and some of it is ...... no it is all my fault, I work alone on this garbage so it's all my fault.

I should have had this thing jammed in the car and driving it etc. by the middle of June... but here we are and that has not happened yet.

I got the engine placed in the chassis without much fanfare. - That went quick and good. These pictures are from May, when the job should have been done, completely.
52936546370_2b0bcb64de_c.jpg

52936600893_292a94d956_c.jpg

52935554642_a9104335a3_c.jpg

After that was done I futzed with the offset bell housing alignment pins again. Since this was a new to me block I redid the whole thing, taking time to get the measurements correct.
It was pretty close to the other block, and it required 2 different offsets in the same dimensions and places as before. All of the research I had done says to use both offsets dowels in the same offset and to not mix and match, but I could not get TIR correct so I used one in 0.007" and the other in 0.014".
52936149411_5836b07188_c.jpg

I fired up the engine - and without anyfutzing, Just priming the oil pump / passages , and then priming the carb It fired on a bump of the key.
I set the idle and timing, but then there was a big leak...
UH OH.
It was the rear main seal.. no doubt... So I pulled it apart again, pulled the pan and reinstalled the RMS.. Put it all back together again... and crap.. leaky..McFrickin...sheaky part 2.

RMS was breached yet again.. I am getting tired of this, but getting quick at pulling the engine and setting the seal.

For the 3rd time....
¡YAY!
Finally Dry. I never had so much fuss with a rear main seal. I was sure off my game this June.
Fired it up again for the 3rd time yesterday and it was dry underneath! woot.
53002921027_b0edd7a22e_c.jpg

Will get some driving with it later this week.

Lookin good, bud! Nice progress. I've done things two and three times over myself. Sometimes it bees like that. I need to get me one of them engine lift brackets you make. What's it made out of?

Lookin good, bud! Nice progress. I've done things two and three times over myself. Sometimes it bees like that. I need to get me one of them engine lift brackets you make. What's it made out of?
Made of steel. It is like the bracket the factory used. Made to be level with a ttransmission hanging off the back of the block. I use a ratchet strap on the water neck to get the block level when hoisting.

7/8/23:

I really enjoy this car, the handling, the way it is setup, everything.
I did the engine break in over the last week, Putting 500 miles on since last Friday or so.

Most of my trips took me on everyday errands, semi local car shows and cruises and to the bike trail.

This morning, I rode the bike 22 miles from the old USS Homestead steel site in Homestead PA, now called the Waterfront, through Pittsburgh and down the Ohio River a bit to the Bicycle Museum in Pittsburgh.
Now that I am not constantly futzing with this car, I have time for fun stuff like that.

I am going to drain the oil / cut open the filter and inspect all for any issues tomorrow.
I have a few other small jobs to do tomorrow too..
- Fab up a new dipstick that will read 5-8 Qts of engine oil
- Fix the hood prop rod stay ( it fell off)
- Replace the Firewall Clutch Rod Grommet (it is old and Broken.. I got a new one)
- Replace the Oil Pressure Relief spring with a high pressure unit from a Hemi / B/RB Engine.
- Shim up the driver's side Engine mount so that the Exhaust does not rub the torsion bar.
- Raise the rear ride height for Trunk full of tools and for the tongue wight of the trailer.
- Probably something else too.. but I am not sure what that is at the moment.

After the bike ride today, I pulled the valve cover off and Set the lash on the valves - they were super loose.... and noisy.
I found my notes from last year and went with 0.024" and 0.028" It sounds like one of them is still a but clackety so I will recheck those again tomorrow.

I love having the trailer hitch on the back of the car for the bike rack.
53032098581_bb65a4dae1_c.jpg

4 More miles to get to the point where the Ohio River begins.
53031515147_f0bd939640_c.jpg

53032098476_3e60368d06_c.jpg

A quick stop at the Ohio River for a drink.
53032579753_c4f3ca762e_c.jpg

A few more miles on the trail took me to the bike museum.
53032579498_72d7f42e1c_c.jpg

They said that they had bikes for sale..... But not this one.
I wanted to buy that forest green Vintage Schwinn - I think it would have looked perfect on the back of the dart.
But... NFS. :-(
53032493360_f98b023ac5_c.jpg

Got home this morning and lashed up the valves on the engine..... Getting there.
53031514562_4f2f2cb274_c.jpg

Should be packing up the trailer and getting ready to tow to Carlisle later this week.

7/8/23:

I really enjoy this car, the handling, the way it is setup, everything.
I did the engine break in over the last week, Putting 500 miles on since last Friday or so.

Most of my trips took me on everyday errands, semi local car shows and cruises and to the bike trail.

This morning, I rode the bike 22 miles from the old USS Homestead steel site in Homestead PA, now called the Waterfront, through Pittsburgh and down the Ohio River a bit to the Bicycle Museum in Pittsburgh.
Now that I am not constantly futzing with this car, I have time for fun stuff like that.

I am going to drain the oil / cut open the filter and inspect all for any issues tomorrow.
I have a few other small jobs to do tomorrow too..
- Fab up a new dipstick that will read 5-8 Qts of engine oil
- Fix the hood prop rod stay ( it fell off)
- Replace the Firewall Clutch Rod Grommet (it is old and Broken.. I got a new one)
- Replace the Oil Pressure Relief spring with a high pressure unit from a Hemi / B/RB Engine.
- Shim up the driver's side Engine mount so that the Exhaust does not rub the torsion bar.
- Raise the rear ride height for Trunk full of tools and for the tongue wight of the trailer.
- Probably something else too.. but I am not sure what that is at the moment.

After the bike ride today, I pulled the valve cover off and Set the lash on the valves - they were super loose.... and noisy.
I found my notes from last year and went with 0.024" and 0.028" It sounds like one of them is still a but clackety so I will recheck those again tomorrow.

I love having the trailer hitch on the back of the car for the bike rack.
View attachment 1716112051

4 More miles to get to the point where the Ohio River begins.
View attachment 1716112052

View attachment 1716112053

A quick stop at the Ohio River for a drink.
View attachment 1716112054

A few more miles on the trail took me to the bike museum.
View attachment 1716112055

They said that they had bikes for sale..... But not this one.
I wanted to buy that forest green Vintage Schwinn - I think it would have looked perfect on the back of the dart.
But... NFS. :-(
View attachment 1716112056

Got home this morning and lashed up the valves on the engine..... Getting there.
View attachment 1716112057

Should be packing up the trailer and getting ready to tow to Carlisle later this week.
Video dangit. I wanna hear the thing. lol

Okay if you provide the go pro and a mount, that can be done.
I don't have a video department like the professional yotubers and tiktokers do

Okay if you provide the go pro and a mount, that can be done.
I don't have a video department like the professional yotubers and tiktokers do
No smart phone? I'd just like to hear it run.

7/10/23:

Got most of the things on my list done!
- Got the oil Pressure relief spring swapped to the Mopar B/RB High Pressure unit. The OE Slant 6 spring must have a been a but mushy. - It is actually a bit on the high side now, but I prefer that instead of lower. I still have some shims in there so I can lower peak pressure a bit more if needed.
Man is that tricky to do in this chassis - I needed an 11/16" crow's foot on a universal swivel extension / rachet... goofy. I also had to jack up the engine and swing the right side engine mount out of the way for access.

- Fabbed up a new dipstick that reads add when there is 5 qts and Is right on the Full mark when there is 8 Qts for Auto x or track days.
- Made a 1/4" engine mount spacer to keep the exhaust off of the torsion bar. Works good for now.
- Raised up the rear ride height 4 turns on the coilovers, anticipating a full trunk and trailer tongue weight.

-Had the hood off for some underside fiberglass repair for the prop rod mount.
- Also painted the underneath of the hood. It turned out pretty good, for a part that no one will really ever look at, except for when I have it up at a car cruise or something. It has a better vibe than raw fiberglass and resin.
53037483428_7b7251bdd9_c.jpg

- The helper at the garage today. I sent her to the tires first for some strength training with the 'ol Milton Service station tire inflator with double headed chuck. Good stuff, it took her about 1/2 hour to get the pressures correct, but she kept at it. :D
53036420167_c01d1562eb_c.jpg

She also helped me reinstall and align the hood on the hinges.

All that is left is to drain and flush the water if there is time, and then pack up and leave for Carlisle on Thursday.

No smart phone? I'd just like to hear it run.
Yes I have one of those.. I usually try to make good content stuff. I will see if I can get someone to hold it or if I can get a mount or something. It is no good to just hear it running or revving.

Yes I have one of those.. I usually try to make good content stuff. I will see if I can get someone to hold it or if I can get a mount or something. It is no good to just hear it running or revving.
I gotchya. Thanks. I'd love to hear it. I have yet to put the header on mine. I think that will really make a big difference in both sound and performance.

-
Back