1964 Dart V-8 Auto Tranny Fluid??

-

64dart170

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!
Long time and have missed you all.
I had to leave traveling job and am going to loose vehicles again except my 64 so it will again be my daily driver.
Been working on it again getting it ready.
Pulled out of garage finally this morning with jerking and lack of motion in drive and reverse. Seeing low on tranny fluid checking when hot and in Neutral.
Question, and I know alot of my friends are going to laugh at this but it's been so long since I drove or worked on it that I forgot what tranny fluid to use!!!

I know HAHAHAHA!!!

Please help!
Thank You, 64dart170 "CAR HUNT"

Dextron II if you can find it. Merc/Dex will work fine too. ...and it won't self destruct if you mix em.

Dexron III is easy to find everywhere and cheap. No service manual anywhere on the face of the planet recommends Dex/Merc in a Torqueflite. It probably wouldn't hurt it, but why take a chance? We don't even list Dexron II in our electronic or printed catalogs, so it will probably be difficult to find. Since Dexron III supersedes anything before it and is readily available, run it. You "could" run Dexron VI, but it's more expensive and not necessary. So as long as III is available, that's what I would use.

Dexron III is easy to find everywhere and cheap. No service manual anywhere on the face of the planet recommends Dex/Merc in a Torqueflite. It probably wouldn't hurt it, but why take a chance? We don't even list Dexron II in our electronic or printed catalogs, so it will probably be difficult to find. Since Dexron III supersedes anything before it and is readily available, run it. You "could" run Dexron VI, but it's more expensive and not necessary. So as long as III is available, that's what I would use.

Hey, did you change your avatar?

I’ve never had the need for type f. My transmissions have always shifter great with dextron. I guess 50 years ago f would firm up shifts or something. These days there’s no need for it in my opinion.

When I signed on today my avitar was missing. Grabbed this. What avitar did I have before?
Thanks for the responces all.
Very informative as usual!

That was intended for RustyRatRod…. His avatar used to sport a heavily busted brunette.. guess he got bored with it. I didn't .

I always use Type F

I was going to include that, but I rambled on enough. Type F is fine and will firm up the shifts a bit. It won't hurt anything, BUT again, it's not what any service manual recommends. I have used it myself in GM and Chrysler transmissions and never had a problem.

I’ve never had the need for type f. My transmissions have always shifter great with dextron. I guess 50 years ago f would firm up shifts or something. These days there’s no need for it in my opinion.

It did and it will. Next time you are in an O'Reilly, grab a bottle of B&M Trick Shift off the "performance" shelf where all the MR Gasket stuff is and read the back of it. It says something like "meets Type F specifications" or some such. That's all it is, is type F. LOL

"Correct" was Type A, I recall. That had actual whale oil I have heard, so if you like sea mammals, don't use it and probably not made anymore. I think Dexron is fine. Using it in V-6 minivans ruined many trannys (A-604) because its foaming (purposeful to keep GM tranny walls clean) caused torque converter chatter. Many classics owners like Type F because it gives firmer shifts for less clutch wear, and I have used in my 1965 Newport. I mostly use ATF+4 now to stay compatible with my newer Mopars and "should work" since the A-413 in one spec's it and it is a 3-spd hydraulic "Torque-Flite" and internally like my 1960's A's, but in a FWD version. Most brands are fully synthetic and cost 50% more than Dexron but probably worth it. A Chrysler TSB specs ATF+4 for all rework of power steering systems and uses it in new cars, so I use in my old Mopar p.s. too.

-
Back