1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Got this done today. New Oregon regrind installed and degreed. Heavily milled head installed. Valve gear installed and adjusted. Plenty of adjustment left to use the stock pushrods.

Static compression came in at 9.686 dynamic at 7.856. Should be very pump gas friendly and sound really nasty with 250@ .050" on a 108. I plan to clean and strip it and paint it IH red, as original. It should be pretty snappy even with the big duration in Vixen as light as she is.

FOR NOW MOTOR.jpg
FOR NOW MOTOR1.jpg

Last edited:
Got more done today. Got the long rod motor torn back down since it's due at the shop next to get decked to my zero deck number. Did the pressurized oil to the timing chain mod. A 1/16" hole through the oil galley plug. lol Don't laugh, it works. Sprayed the blue "for now" motor down several times with purple stuff and lettin it sit overnight. Will spray it down again and pressure wash it. I may or may not use stripper. All depends on how clean it comes and if the blue paint is stuck real good. If it is, I may just prime and paint over it, since chemical strippers just suck nowadays.

Got this done today. New Oregon regrind installed and degreed. Heavily milled head installed. Valve gear installed and adjusted. Plenty of adjustment left to use the stock pushrods.

Static compression came in at 9.686 dynamic at 7.856. Should be very pump gas friendly and sound really nasty with 250@ .050" on a 108. I plan to clean and strip it and paint it IH red, as original. It should be pretty snappy even with the big duration in Vixen as light as she is.

View attachment 1715695636 View attachment 1715695637
Rusty, for a red slant six, I painted my last one Rustoleum Regal Red. IH Red is a nice color, the Regal Red is a close match, maybe a shade deeper.

Last edited:
Rusty, for a red slant six, I painted my last one Rustoleum Regal Red. IH Red is a nice color, the Regal Red is a close match, maybe a shade deeper.

I have some IH red left over so that's what it's gittin. lol

Here's the timing chain oiling mod. Just drill a small hole straight through that galley plug and pressurized oil blasts the back of the timing gear. I'm droppin the block off next week when I pick up the head. .063 comin off the deck.

TIMING CHAIN OILING MOD.jpg

LONG ROD BLOCK.jpg

They are classic, and the early barracudas are cool also. In fact whenever I search CL i will look for Darts, Dusters, Barracudas,and Valiants, then Scamp, swinger as my search words.

Great progress

Meanwhile, LOLOL a guy sent me a phakebook message on my boat. Wanted to offer 300 under the 1k asking price "because that's all he has." Sorry buddy but if you cant afford it, and won't even come over and look before "lowballing" "I ain't interested"

Great progress

Meanwhile, LOLOL a guy sent me a phakebook message on my boat. Wanted to offer 300 under the 1k asking price "because that's all he has." Sorry buddy but if you cant afford it, and won't even come over and look before "lowballing" "I ain't interested"
Thats the problem trying to sell stuff there. They all seem to message and want to low ball the snot out of what your selling without ever thinking of coming to look at it.

Great progress

I'm workin on it. It's really weird. I've had the slant bug a long time really, but ever since I got Vixen, I've kinda acted on it. I've never had the luck finding cheap and free V8 parts before. But now I have like 7 slant sixes and a good bit of parts. I'm normally the guy that's never in the right place at the right time. lol

View attachment 1715695636 View attachment 1715695637
Being originally blue with the ribbed valve cover..... is it a 1969 engine ??

I need to get mine looking like that. I was thinking 63 was a slightly deeper red but could be the 'puter screen too. My engine was originally blue because it's a 1970 engine. But about to that IH harvester stuff to look 1963

It's the right color. I cannot get the computer to recognize my good digital camera right now so I am using my shitty cell phone.

The flash was washin it out.

SLANT RIGHT COLOR.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Is the IH Red a spray bomb, or mix up type paint from Tractor Supply? I need to paint my 273 in the not too distant future. :thumbsup:

It's Krylon I ordered in from my local O'Reilly. I used plasticote high build primer. I held my breath and crossed my fingers but it seems to have gone on and adhered very well.

burning the midnight oil rusty?
Looks good, what alternator are you using?

Just a O'Reilly brand. Not the cheapest line but the next one up. Ultima I think is the brand. 55 amp. Nuthin special. The one in Vixen works great now, but I want this to be as complete as possible when I make the swap. Makes for a little less work.

-
Back