1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
All done with the hydraulics. I made me a bench bleeder out of some scrap line and extra fittings so I could bleed the master cylinder by myself, since Kitty's not feeling well today. Got that done and attached the lines to the master cylinder and cracked the right rear bleeder to let it gravity bleed. Hopefully. lol Here are some shots of it all. The proportioning valve fits right in the same place as the original distribution block and the rear line does not have to be modified. I did have to cut the flare nuts off both front lines, put the 7/16 - 24 flare nuts on and reflare the lines, but that took all of 15 minutes. So far, so good. I'll know for sure when I get pressure on everything.
DSCF1896.JPG
DSCF1895.JPG
DSCF1894.JPG
DSCF1891.JPG

Last edited:
Got it all done and bled......as good as we can get it. Kitty just does not have strength like she used to and had trouble making sure the pedal was on the floor, so the pedal is pretty spongy. I am hoping it will bleed itself out over time. Most times they will do that. I guess we'll see.

I still use the bench bleed kit that came with a master cylinder I bought 25 years ago. I doubt they even come with em anymore! It is 2 sets of plastic fittings and 2 rubber hoses. I just use clothes pins to hold the rubber hoses down in the fluid while I bench bleed it. I use an old glass Brownie bottle and a rubber hose down into some fluid in the bottle to bleed the wheels. It has to be kind of quiet in the garage, so you can hear when it stops bubbling after you've pumped the pedal enough. Doing it that way just pumps the air bubbles from the line down into the fluid as you pump the pedal down and up real slow while leaving the bleeder open. Blows bubbles out, and sucks fluid back in till all the air is gone from that line. I do it the normal sequence, RR, LR, RF, LF.
I've tried one of those handheld vacuum bleeder things from Northern Tool and must not be doing something right. I was ready to throw it up in the woods after about 30 minutes! :realcrazy:
Glad you're gettin some discs on ol Vixen. She should whoa down as quick as she runs now!
:thumbsup:

I still use the bench bleed kit that came with a master cylinder I bought 25 years ago. I doubt they even come with em anymore! It is 2 sets of plastic fittings and 2 rubber hoses. I just use clothes pins to hold the rubber hoses down in the fluid while I bench bleed it. I use an old glass Brownie bottle and a rubber hose down into some fluid in the bottle to bleed the wheels. It has to be kind of quiet in the garage, so you can hear when it stops bubbling after you've pumped the pedal enough. Doing it that way just pumps the air bubbles from the line down into the fluid as you pump the pedal down and up real slow while leaving the bleeder open. Blows bubbles out, and sucks fluid back in till all the air is gone from that line. I do it the normal sequence, RR, LR, RF, LF.
I've tried one of those handheld vacuum bleeder things from Northern Tool and must not be doing something right. I was ready to throw it up in the woods after about 30 minutes! :realcrazy:
Glad you're gettin some discs on ol Vixen. She should whoa down as quick as she runs now!
Just the MC and proportioning valve for now. The single pot MC had a leak in the bottom. I think it was cracked where the plug is in the bottom port that's unused. I'm going to put the discs on it when I buy the 14" tires.....which is a ways down the road yet.

I am going to do your trick though. I've done it before, but for it to be 100% effective, you need to seal the threads on the bleeder, or it'll suck air back into the system right at the bleeder. Permatex #2 works well, but you have to be careful to get it only on the threads.

We did the bleeding into the brake fluid trick and got all kinda air out. I also adjusted the shoes up. Has a bit over a half pedal. Plenty enough to stop. After looking at some online diagrams, I believe either the master cylinder or the original distribution block had a residual pressure valve. Without that, the pedal won't be quite as high and that's ok. It still stops plenty good and now I'm all set for the disc conversion when I get my 14 inch tires.

Drove Vixen to town tonight to meet @mopardug and his beautiful wife and mother to pick up some 11" brakes he wants me to put on this rear end I put together for him. She did good. Pedal isn't as high as I'd like it, but no leaks, I got all the air out and they are all adjusted up. It'll drive fine till I get the 14s and discs on it. Yay!

Got it all done and bled......as good as we can get it. Kitty just does not have strength like she used to and had trouble making sure the pedal was on the floor, so the pedal is pretty spongy. I am hoping it will bleed itself out over time. Most times they will do that. I guess we'll see.
Sorry Kitty's not feeling good, Brother Rob!

We did the bleeding into the brake fluid trick and got all kinda air out. I also adjusted the shoes up. Has a bit over a half pedal. Plenty enough to stop. After looking at some online diagrams, I believe either the master cylinder or the original distribution block had a residual pressure valve. Without that, the pedal won't be quite as high and that's ok. It still stops plenty good and now I'm all set for the disc conversion when I get my 14 inch tires.
I've used the plastic cup gimmick solo for a long many moons... Glad Ya Got Her Stopping!

It helped today that we were bleeding with the bleeder valves left open. There was no resistance on the pedal, so she didn't have to press hard.
Nice! I picked up one of them miti vac sets at a garage sale years ago, I haven't used for pulling brake fluid, as JD said, but I imagine I'd have the same result! Lol

I ordered a "quick boot" for my steering coupler today from Steer and Gear. Should be here sometime next week. I will be doing a how to on it when it arrives. This eliminates the clumsy, always leaking factory rubber seal with the metal clamp that always comes loose and is a double barrel bastard to work with.

Great car. I had a '64 Signet. I'm curious about something......I don't see the push buttons on the dash, I don't see a floor shifter or a column shifter. What type o transmission is it?

Great car. I had a '64 Signet. I'm curious about something......I don't see the push buttons on the dash, I don't see a floor shifter or a column shifter. What type o transmission is it?
Three on the tree, baby!

Lookin' good, Rob. :thumbsup:

Vixen is a criminal. I am so proud. 43 in a 30. 75 bucks. What a great shot! lol
View attachment 1715901378

FYI for those that don't know. These cameras are active 24/7 and will ticket you at 11 mph over the speed limit regardless of time of day. If school zone is 25 then it triggers at 36. School is out, evenings, weekends, whatever, and normal speed limit is 35 then it triggers at 46, at least up here. :rolleyes:
SIL got one and I researched it. I step lightly in all school zones just in case.

Last edited:
My quick boot for the steering coupler arrived today, but today is my turn to feel like 2 pounds of poop in a 1 pound bag so it won't be today. I might do it tomorrow if I feel better.

You need what ever the heck I have...I doze off in the big chair between 7:30 and7:45 every night! Sometimes a little sooner in the winter! But I wake up at 4 A.M. every day!!:BangHead:
Part of the problem is, we've been living in the bedroom ever since we started putting these floors down. When Billy died from his motorcycle accident, our mutual friend that was doing the job retired permanently. He took it real hard. We all did. I don't know the first thing about laminate flooring, so the project is at a standstill. I've tried to get some estimates, but I'll be damned if I can get anybody over.

-
Back