1965 273 4-bbl intake. What is this connector for?

-
That casting goes ALL the way through the intake. I wonder if they put it there for an optional PCV or crankcase breather?

That casting goes ALL the way through the intake. I wonder if they put it there for an optional PCV or crankcase breather?
Just a bulb shape on the bottom side. It doesn't feed into the runners. In 66 the CAP (first year) was a hose from the air cleaner to a vented oil cap.

Dang, all the photos of my engine I only have a couple of my intake and none of the underside. I wonder if I can get upstairs in my garage. I think I have a extra intake up there. I think it's a 66 non-CAP.

On a California car (Barracuda) in 67 it had a port going to the CAP valve and a port going to the vacuum gauge. If you had power braked it would have come out the top.
2018-07-25_002.jpg

Alan

You could connect a couple wires to it and try any gauges you have. Maybe you could monitor intake air temperature or vacuum. (smiley face)

Mine is multi function, brake boost & heater/AC control. Originally it was just heater/AC control till I added power brakes.

What was the original use for the vacuum? I’d guess a power steering unit given it’s location but this car never had power steering. What sized bolt is that plug Mike? 3/4”?
r u sure its the oem intake for the 273 & its not from a lator 340 or 360?

r u sure its the oem intake for the 273 & its not from a lator 340 or 360?

It is the original intake with correct casting #. A later intake will not work on a 65 without modification. The mounting bolts are different angles.

Yep, someone just plugged the hole.

View attachment 1715963311
I had one of these intakes back in the early 80's I installed on my old 18er, I cut the cross out of the center and opened up the chamber then put a 1 in, spacer under the AVS I had on it. Man that made everything wake up. Those old intakes like to have more room under there.

I had one of these intakes back in the early 80's I installed on my old 18er, I cut the cross out of the center and opened up the chamber then put a 1 in, spacer under the AVS I had on it. Man that made everything wake up. Those old intakes like to have more room under there.
Right there. They are pretty flat. Not much plenum or rise.

-
Back