1965 barracuda tie rod stuck

-

hdroyals

Reaction score
finally back on my barracuda project. after putting 1975 dart disk brakes on the wheels are out of line i loosened the clamps on the tie rod and cannot get the adjuster to turn.
tried channel locks but i am worried about chewing up tie rod. would really appreciate any advice on how to get them to turn.

thanks

pb blaster & a wire brush, , wire brush the entire sleeve, tap it with a hammer, repeat-- soak with penetrating oil.
Lawrence

Squirt some penetrating oil in the slots of the tie rod sleeve & use a pipe wrench instead....

after cleaning as stated apply some heat to the sleeve which will help expand it (don't get it red hot)and it will turn no matter what you use

If the parts are really crusty why not just replace? They're not expensive, you could even put in the big C-body ones while you're at it.

thanks guys i think i will get on ebay and buy the tool. i will use again looks pretty handy after fighting it

Not everyone will have a specific tie rod hook at their disposal. That's why I mentioned a pipe wrench which WILL indeed do the job if used correctly.

Of course if the OP wants to spend the $$ for the hook & wait for it to arrive, it's not a bad idea :)

Sometimes, I used to use 2 appropriately sized chisels with very shallow ramps. I would remove the clamps first.Then insert the tools about a quarter inch away from the rod-ends.Drive them in a bit, to spread the sleeve.Fill er up with penetrant, and go-time.
Sometimes if the sleeve was full of gravel or dirt I would blow them out with compressed air, and repeat the treatment. I dont like using heat on steering components.

Good lord!!.......It's 50 year old suspension parts that may or may not put you in the ditch. How much could 2 inner and 2 outer tie rod ends and 2 new adjuster sleeves cost? :violent1:

-
Back