1965 Dodge Dart 270 2 dr sedan

-
On the passenger side I need to relocate the oil filter. I can make it point to the front but I don't know if I clear the K-frame. On the drivers side the pipe will be between the torsion bar the the frame. The alternative might be the factory routing. But I'm not sure it will clear.

On the passenger side it should clear the K Frame when pointing to the front. If I had thought about it, I could have included an actual oil filter relocation kit. Then you could have put the oil filter wherever you wanted!

I took two pictures on my convertible with V8 and power steering. I know it will clear bettet without power steering. But it's tight!!

To my understanding, the Spitfires will not fit early A's with power steering. I suppose they could be made to fit by modifying a pipe (or two!)

Any other early A-body owner with V8 and Spitfire headers? I would love to have picture on how it looks installed.

Thanks FABO.

There are several threads on installing Spitfires in an early A. Here's 2 for your reading enjoyment: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=2735 and
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44321

Don! How does that filtet relocation kit look like? Re the steering I will use manual steering. Drag cars back in the day didn't had power steering

My 63 with 273 and Spitfires is in hers winter sleep. But I will try to take some pictures tonight. Any particular angle? And yes it´s tight, I had to weld on a bend, on both sides, this to get clearance to the torsion rods. The gap between the header on drivers side and the steering shaft is about 5 mm. The oil filter is relocated by a right angle oil filter adapter, found the part number 2951995 on the web.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 448
Thanks for the pictures Djakken. I think the Spitfire headers will turn out great.

Yesterday my ARP bolt kit for the main caps showed up. I took off the oil pump and it'd in good condition. The windage tray needed some attention due to ARPs bigger bolts compare with factory bolts.

Thanks Don for thw windage tray. It needed a good cleaning to get her back in shape.

Finally in place I just need to tight it down and re install the oil pump.

Hopefully I can mount the oil pan and spray the short block.

Attachments

• DSC_0679.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_0683.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC_0684.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 396
Due to the lenght of the ARP bolt I needed a longer socket to tighten the bolts. My oldest son Kevin had one so a couple of minutes and we were done.

After tighten the bolts for the oil pan I painted the short block International red. Turned out great!

Attachments

• DSC_0686.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC_0685.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 428
The heads are back after a good cleaning and glass beading. Next a 3 angle job and then get it all done.

Attachments

• DSC_0707.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0708.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 437
Next step is done. Today I pulled the engine, tranny and front end in one piece. Feels great. Next step will be a good cleaning before talking away all the paint.

Life is good!

Attachments

• DSC_0712.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_0711.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC_0710.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC_0709.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 404
What is the black area on the firewall? I blew it up while looking on my phone but can't tell what it is.

The first owner glued on some sound insulation to get away the vibration in the steel! I will pull it off now when I'm going to repaint the engine compartment.

Finally some progress. I was lucky to find 2 nos Firestone 7.00 x 14 in excellent condition. My oldest son Kevin put them on a pair of refreshed 14 x 5,5" steel wheels. Torned out great and will add on the old school look. The rear end is a sure grip with 3,23 gears.

Life is good!

Attachments

• DSC_0774.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0773.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0772.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_0771.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0770.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 322
Finally some progress. I was lucky to find 2 nos Firestone 7.00 x 14 in excellent condition. My oldest son Kevin put them on a pair of refreshed 14 x 5,5" steel wheels. Torned out great and will add on the old school look. The rear end is a sure grip with 3,23 gears.

Life is good!

Nice, the wheels looking great. By the way, same rear end as I have on my 63. Is yours a
8 3/4 or 7 1/4?

Thanks Don! The Spitfire headers arrived in good condition. They look awesone.

Any other early A-body owner with V8 and Spitfire headers? I would love to have picture on how it looks installed.

Thanks FABO.

Wow those look great! Would love to score a set or two of those for my early A's! Will have to keep looking.

Yesterday the breather cap showed up for my Charger engine. Need to find the other side too!

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 269
Finally some progress on this one too. The engine is now mounted with all it's factory parts. The heads should be ready on Thursday so when the intake from Keith shows up I can finish the motor!

I like progress!!

Attachments

• DSC_0161.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 230
Yesterday the breather cap showed up for my Charger engine. Need to find the other side too!

Since you have the chrome oil filler cap, you must be needing the chrome PCV cap - yes? Let me know and I will send you one.

Finally I was able to pick up the heads. New valves, tripple svalve springs and new retainers. I can hardly wait to get the intake any day from Keith!

What color did they used on headers back in the 60ies? Black, silver or another color?

Attachments

• DSC_0208.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0209.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0210.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 186
Your making some real great progress, I real like reading and watching your build.

I think the D-dart headers were silver in color.

Are those the Spitfire headers? I'd love to get my hands on a pair.

Yes, those are Spitfires! I had a couple of sets and Ulf bought my last set. Keep your eyes open - they show up from time to time here and on eBay.

-
Back