1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I would think that original ones have no identifying marks on them at all. No part number, no Chrysler logo, nothing.

The NOS one I have is like that - no part number, logo, nothing. It will be on the way to Ulf tomorrow.

What does the other side of this slide look like? Is the pattern on both sides ? I agree, the slide should be a semi-gloss plain plastic piece. You might find what you need from a plastics supplier and just get them to cut it to the correct shape. I would think that original ones have no identifying marks on them at all. No part number, no Chrysler logo, nothing.

Kevin! It's like Don said, it should just be a black plastic stripe with no nothing on.

Don, thanks so much. Looking forward to get the package which means that I might be able to assemble the shifter console. BTW, what silver paint should be used on the shifter console?

Finally esterday the package with the carpet fromLegendary showed up. Everything was in great condition. Even the measurement s were ok and the heel pad was in correct place. However the heel pad was wrong!!! :banghead:

As you can see fromtwo factory carpets I have the heel pad has another pattern. The first carpet I bought from Legendary had the same hell pad as the factory had but now it seems like they changed!

They also sent two yard extra material so I can make the right ends on the rear carpet as well as the front and rear on the front carpet.

This will be an issue for sure! But I have good hope that they will solve it for me. They are great to deal with.

Compare with factory carpet.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 608
  • 002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 580
  • ICCA 016.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 572
  • ICCA 015.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 572
  • ICCA 010.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 566
  • ICCA 009.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 566
  • ICCA 008.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 558
  • ICCA 007.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 557
  • ICCA 006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 575
  • ICCA 005.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 544
Santa showed up early this year! I bought some stuff (Dart parts) from Don (65 dartman) and he did some nice bubble wrapping! It was in excellent condition.

First of all the wheel well mouldings was in super condition. With some light sanding and alot of polishing I think I can make them NOS! I did some polishing with the machine and it turned out great. It is obvious that the car these mouldings belongs too hasn't been too much in traffic!

Then Don had packed some NOS tie rod end boots that I bought. These are getting harder and harder to find. They were in great condition too.

The bezel for the air condition controls was there and the condition was mint! But there was a bunch of other goodies as well!! Don!

The guy who will help me with the codes on the glass called today. He found out a method to make the printings on all the windows. To get pictures of the stampings was not the easiest thing that I have done. :banghead:

I have a question if someone has seen these stampings printed so I can get a better Picture of how it looks? The guy who does the printings needs good copies of it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 544
  • 014.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 561
  • 001.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 012.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 532
Plaschy, that's a pic I took and posted to Wikipedia. It's from one of the original windows on my '71 Dart. It is the correct marking for that car—PPG and all!—but not for a '65.

Dan, I should have been more clear in my post above. Ulf wanted a sample of the typography and this is was what I found. The logotyp is wrong, the sequence number is as well. But to my well trainded eye the font is the same as well as the pentastar.

After some search I found out that this font "News Gothic" is very close, if not spot on (nevermind the italics). I would use News Gothic Bold for Safeguard Solid Tempered and News Gothic or News Gothic Demi for Safety Glass and the numbers.

Attachments

• Numbers.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 510
  • Safety Glass.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 463
  • Safeguard Solid.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 475
Plaschy, no, the typeface is very definitely not the same in the '71 glass markings as in the '65 markings, and none of the ones you're suggesting Ulf use matches the '65 markings he's trying to reproduce.

Ulf, take a look at ECS' Mopar glass page and you'll see a presentation, in usefully high contrast, of the various-over-the-years marks (and you'll also see what I mean about the '65 typeface not being the same as the '71 typeface).

Plaschy, no, the typeface is very definitely not the same in the '71 glass markings as in the '65 markings, and none of the ones you're suggesting Ulf use matches the '65 markings he's trying to reproduce.

Ulf, take a look at ECS' Mopar glass page and you'll see a presentation, in usefully high contrast, of the various-over-the-years marks (and you'll also see what I mean about the '65 typeface not being the same as the '71 typeface).

Thanks Dan! I checked out the ECS website and they have what I'm looking for. I did a picture of it.

But there is one edition that needs to be done. To the left of the Pentastar there should be a text stripe reading "TINTED" but that's all.

Attachments

• Text på glas.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 470
Guess I learned something new today.

Ulf, keep up the good work!

Thanks Plaschy for trying helping me out.

I'm sorry but my BIG fingers adapted the wrong picture!!

The first picture is the correct printing for the door windows as well as the quarter window and the rear window. The vent window has the printing in picture number two. Except it should not be a dotted line on the letters.

Today arrived a nice package with small NOS assembly line stuff. Some time ago I bought a repopped cap. Dan (slantsixdan) told me that there were some slightly differencies compare to factory ones. The third picture showing the repopped one that I bought and the fourth picture is a assembly line unit. Dan (slantsixdan), you were right, there is a slight difference between the two. Now the correct one is mounted on the radiator. Thanks Dan!

I also bought a by-pass hose for 273 small block.Interesting was that the hose clamps was there. The one towards the intake was yellow dichromated and the clamp towards the waterpump was red!! What was the reason for that? Was it more important to get the red clamp first or last while assemble the engine?

The wheel bearings got completed too.

Finally I got the bags for the license plate kits. Will fit the glovebox perfectly.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 481
  • 005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 471
  • 003.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 445
  • 001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 472
  • 002.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 484
  • Skärmklipp 2.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 459
  • Skärmklipp.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 461
Thanks Dan! I checked out the ECS website and they have what I'm looking for. I did a picture of it.

But there is one edition that needs to be done. To the left of the Pentastar there should be a text stripe reading "TINTED" but that's all.

View attachment !!!!!!! stencil from mcgraw glass.JPG

Hey that one is from the Mcgraw Glass plant! that is soooo cool it was sandblasted in and should be some dotted letters since it was shot through a stencil made out of a rubber circle We didn't start printing the Dot stuff on till ummmm dang mid 70's. 75 or so and yes I was still making the 64-66 barracuda rear window and side glass in 74 man that beast was heavy!!!!.
I used to have to do them working on the sidelight line. We'd put flat glass on the cutting table and manually run the cutter around the ring that was the shape of the glass. when the cutter reached a certain part if the ring(directly over where the stencil was to go to hold the glass tight) a cylinder full of sand with that stencil made out of rubber on top of it would get a blast of air to sandblast in the stencil. then we'd manually do a glass breakout and load it on the lineto the washer so an inspector could check for vendors scratches and just general oopses .we had a bunch of different ones for each different side glass and shift.

I don't remember any of the early glass having a tinted printed or stenciled on it from McGraw glass plant. now PPG could have since their naming convention was totally different. After 64 they (Started 1965 finished by changing by 73)were qualified in number differences only ie 61 was clear glass of a certian thickenss (1st number designates thickness of glass lower number is thicker)could be 4,5,6,7,8. 7 and 8 were windshields and some 5's were imperial(heavy as all get out ) depending on glass. Either sidelight 5 or 6, backlight =4,5 and 6 or windshields 5(imperial only and only as a 52 number= heavy and tinted ),7 and 8.

second number was color or lack of.
1 was clear glass (didn't run much of that after 68 mostly fleet trucks and vans)
2 was tinted glass
3 was with a top shade band
5 was SolarBan (fiasco from the glass plants bending procedures 50% scrap rate) designers loved it (idiots)
7 privacy bronze tint non heated could be backlight or side glass
9 dark brown (heated only rear glass)

there are more types available buy those are some of the numbers I had to make sure were right for the glass, nowadays they even have the date shift dots and line that cut/bent and printed on there. there were different makers Mcgraw glass plant =SafeGuard CD division, LOF= libby owens ford, PPG pittsburg plate glass and MM or MN something something Mexico (even back then they made bad glass. worse than china glass today)

View attachment 1714759532

Hey that one is from the Mcgraw Glass plant! that is soooo cool it was sandblasted in and should be some dotted letters since it was shot through a stencil made out of a rubber circle We didn't start printing the Dot stuff on till ummmm dang mid 70's. 75 or so and yes I was still making the 64-66 barracuda rear window and side glass in 74 man that beast was heavy!!!!.
I used to have to do them working on the sidelight line. We'd put flat glass on the cutting table and manually run the cutter around the ring that was the shape of the glass. when the cutter reached a certain part if the ring(directly over where the stencil was to go to hold the glass tight) a cylinder full of sand with that stencil made out of rubber on top of it would get a blast of air to sandblast in the stencil. then we'd manually do a glass breakout and load it on the lineto the washer so an inspector could check for vendors scratches and just general oopses .we had a bunch of different ones for each different side glass and shift.

I don't remember any of the early glass having a tinted printed or stenciled on it from McGraw glass plant. now PPG could have since their naming convention was totally different. After 64 they (Started 1965 finished by changing by 73)were qualified in number differences only ie 61 was clear glass of a certian thickenss (1st number designates thickness of glass lower number is thicker)could be 4,5,6,7,8. 7 and 8 were windshields and some 5's were imperial(heavy as all get out ) depending on glass. Either sidelight 5 or 6, backlight =4,5 and 6 or windshields 5(imperial only and only as a 52 number= heavy and tinted ),7 and 8.

second number was color or lack of.
1 was clear glass (didn't run much of that after 68 mostly fleet trucks and vans)
2 was tinted glass
3 was with a top shade band
5 was SolarBan (fiasco from the glass plants bending procedures 50% scrap rate) designers loved it (idiots)
7 privacy bronze tint non heated could be backlight or side glass
9 dark brown (heated only rear glass)

there are more types available buy those are some of the numbers I had to make sure were right for the glass, nowadays they even have the date shift dots and line that cut/bent and printed on there. there were different makers Mcgraw glass plant =SafeGuard CD division, LOF= libby owens ford, PPG pittsburg plate glass and MM or MN something something Mexico (even back then they made bad glass. worse than china glass today)

Thanks for the lesson.

So the stencils were made out of rubber? We have tried with plastic decals but no luck.

It will take some skills to create them. But I have found a guy who is in the printing business. He also etsches glass. Not sure of spelling! LOL!

Always interesting things going on here with Ulf's restoration. tmm

While working on the rear wheel well moulding I found a small gasket on the mounting screw. I was able to buy these wheel well mouldings from Don (65 dartman) and I must say that these mouldings must be from a never used car!

But I was happy for the gasket. It's the small thing that counts!

:burnout:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 406
Ulf
I just wanted to say your project is looking great !
I have a question on your heater box .. Is there a paint that can give the apperence of the fiberglass look ? just wondering.
Thanks Ulf.
john

Ulf
I just wanted to say your project is looking great !
I have a question on your heater box .. Is there a paint that can give the apperence of the fiberglass look ? just wondering.
Thanks Ulf.
john

John! Thanks for the kind words.

Re the paint I don't know. There is a truck box coating that might be similiar. Haven't tried it but someone else might chim in with more knowledge. It have a special structure that kinda looks like fiberglass.

Good luck!

No, there is no paint that gives the fibreglass look with the randomly-distributed fine light lines in a dark brown material.

Does anyone know what areas that was covered with undercoating? I have ordered my undercoating but I need more specifically areas where it was applayed.

Thanks FABO!

Does anyone know what areas that was covered with undercoating? I have ordered my undercoating but I need more specifically areas where it was applayed.

Thanks FABO!

After searching some TSB and going through old pictures I think that the front and rear wheel wells were covered with undercoating. However I'm not sure how far back there was undercoating from the front and rear wheel well.

At the same time they probably had a line where to quit and if they oversprayed some undercoating on some items that was it!

For six hours I have been sanding the Wheel well moulding. There is two spots where I'm going nuts. First the place where it is two dents from the inside where they clamp together the two pieces into one. The second is the one on the stone shield. Boy does it takes time.

Hopefully I'm done with one piece tomorrow!

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 026.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 335
After receiving the last wheel bearing it was time toadd the wheel bearings. The job vent fine and I used SKF grease for the bearings. No Mopar grease. Sorry!

The biggest issue was the spring the goes around the drum. But now it's in place.

I just wonder what color the face of the drum should be painted in?

I really like the look of the front wheel with bias ply tires.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 002.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 295
-
Back