1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
65 and 66 might be different but here's what my 66 looks like. The spring attaches to the body of the jack in a slot just below where the hook attaches. The lug wrench slips through round end of the spring and the ratcheting action of the jack puts tension on the jack mast and the lug wrench. My hook and base slips over the hold down rod that comes up through the spare tire. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20140917_173549.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_20140917_173635.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 645
65 and 66 might be different but here's what my 66 looks like. The spring attaches to the body of the jack in a slot just below where the hook attaches. The lug wrench slips through round end of the spring and the ratcheting action of the jack puts tension on the jack mast and the lug wrench. My hook and base slips over the hold down rod that comes up through the spare tire. tmm

That's IT !!!!!!!!! Ulf has the open ended spring instead of the full loop style. The short hook on the '65 spring goes under the jack handle, and the long fingered hook goes to the ratchet.

You can see the notch in the jack body in pics #2 and 3 on post 2562. That's where the hook part of the spring goes. The jack needs to be flipped over so the notch is on the bottom. I think the spring he has with the hook on one end and the loop on the other is correct. tmm

Thanks guys! AFter working for a couple of hours with the computer and the factory spring I have. Even if it's the wrong style I was able to cut the spring and bend the end to get the factory look. Here in Sweden we have a saying: -If you can't buy it build it!

With the new spring and the pole I was able to get the bumper jack in the right spot with the right spring too. Finally all work inside the trunk is done. I hope!

Thanks all the FABO members who have helped me to get all parts back in place. Could even in my wildest dream think it would take this time and energy just to get this right!!:banghead:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 640
  • 002.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 649
  • 004.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 619
  • 001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 645
Thanks guys! AFter working for a couple of hours with the computer and the factory spring I have. Even if it's the wrong style I was able to cut the spring and bend the end to get the factory look. Here in Sweden we have a saying: -If you can't buy it build it! With the new spring and the pole I was able to get the bumper jack in the right spot with the right spring too. Finally all work inside the trunk is done. I hope! Thanks all the FABO members who have helped me to get all parts back in place. Could even in my wildest dream think it would take this time and energy just to get this right!!:banghead:

Y E S ! ! !

Well Done

Thanks Kevin!

Today I was able to finish the air outlet on the drivers side. I even found a NOS gasket for it!!

The gasket is ordered from Detroit Musclecar Technoligies. Super Quality!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 606
  • 003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 594
  • 002.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 598
Thanks Kevin! Today I was able to finish the air outlet on the drivers side. I even found a NOS gasket for it!! The gasket is ordered from Detroit Musclecar Technoligies. Super Quality!

Are you sure the gasket is NOS? I was under the impression that DMT was reproducing a whole variety of similar parts that use closed cell foam.

Are you sure the gasket is NOS? I was under the impression that DMT was reproducing a whole variety of similar parts that use closed cell foam.

The first gasket is the NOS one. Was included with the heater assembly. The second gasket is the one DMT reproduces. Very similiar but not like NOS ones!

It's the gasket for the door I ordered from him.

Now the air outlet is in place as it should. Just need the gasket and the air vent system is done. :happy1:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 603
  • 002.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 003.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 578
  • 004.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 565
  • 005.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 592
The first gasket is the NOS one. Was included with the heater assembly. The second gasket is the one DMT reproduces. Very similiar but not like NOS ones! It's the gasket for the door I ordered from him. Now the air outlet is in place as it should. Just need the gasket and the air vent system is done. :happy1:

Very interesting. The first photo is the OE gasket, and the 2nd is the DMT part ? I think the biggest difference between them is the maturation of the formulation of the material used to make the sheets of material the parts were cut from. There could also be different grades of the closed cell foam, and Chrysler being Chrysler probably opted for the least expensive one they could get.

Very interesting. The first photo is the OE gasket, and the 2nd is the DMT part ? I think the biggest difference between them is the maturation of the formulation of the material used to make the sheets of material the parts were cut from. There could also be different grades of the closed cell foam, and Chrysler being Chrysler probably opted for the least expensive one they could get.

So true Kevin! I compared to the old one and it matches exact. There is a chance that different plant had different suppliers.

I guess they just wanted it to be sealed withoit leaking. I guess that the DMT would do a better job, though!

Today I was able to close a great deal.

I have found and bought the screws and the plastic plugs for the license plate front and rear. I was pretty sure that they mounted that on the assembly line before the delivery to the dealer took place.

Today I located these two hot plastic bags! Can these bags mean that the assembly line workers did not mounted the plugs and screws? They just threw in these plastic bags with hub caps and other stuff in the trunk! The work was done by the dealer when they license the car. (Sorry but I do not know exactly how this procedure works over there)!

Any comments or information?

Attachments

• D9CE.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 545
  • D9DF.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 528
In most US states, the licence plates are applied for and granted to the owner of the vehicle. The plate usually does not stay with the car through multiple owners as is common in other parts of the world. Some states do and some states don't issue/require a front plate.

In most US states, the licence plates are applied for and granted to the owner of the vehicle. The plate usually does not stay with the car through multiple owners as is common in other parts of the world. Some states do and some states don't issue/require a front plate.

Did the dealership mount the license plate for his customer or did the customer add it to his car?

Next thing is if the screws and plastic hardware came in those bags?

When the first owner of the car sold it, did he keep the plates then? Sorry for my stupid questions!

Today I was able to close a great deal. I have found and bought the screws and the plastic plugs for the license plate front and rear. I was pretty sure that they mounted that on the assembly line before the delivery to the dealer took place. Today I located these two hot plastic bags! Can these bags mean that the assembly line workers did not mounted the plugs and screws? They just threw in these plastic bags with hub caps and other stuff in the trunk! The work was done by the dealer when they license the car. (Sorry but I do not know exactly how this procedure works over there)! Any comments or information?

Correct. License plate attaching parts were shipped in bags like that, possibly with the car, or more likely in some sort of bulk pack to the dealer (because they were easily stolen).

The parts that went into the bumper were installed by the dealer, and if the first owner could obtain plates to coincide with delivery of the vehicle, then the dealer would also mount the plates on the car. Otherwise if the plates were mailed to the owner, it would likely become the owner's responsibility to install them.

Did the dealership mount the license plate for his customer

No, but in a 2-plate state the pre-sale prep usually included installing the front plate mounting hardware to make it ready for the buyer to install his plate.

When the first owner of the car sold it, did he keep the plates then?

Usually so. Whether or not he could then use them on another car varies by state.

California being an exception, plates there can be transferred with the vehicle. Older cars still wearing vintage "black plates" can be more desirable.

California being an exception, plates there can be transferred with the vehicle. Older cars still wearing vintage "black plates" can be more desirable.

Like these that came with my 64 Valiant wagon.

Attachments

• IMAG0316.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 435

Re my car I think you are right. I have the original plates with the same numbers as the first title! Those plates were the ones that the car came with. Not sure if they were mounted by the dealer or the first owner.

As always during this restoration Eric did a super great job on the last washers for the rear bumper and the two screws holding the license plate light to the rear bumper.

The adjustment was a little tricky to get it "not-to-perfect" but very good. Looks good too with the right washers with right finish.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 002.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 003.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 426
  • 004.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 427
As always during this restoration Eric did a super great job on the last washers for the rear bumper and the two screws holding the license plate light to the rear bumper. The adjustment was a little tricky to get it "not-to-perfect" but very good. Looks good too with the right washers with right finish.

Looks terrific Ulf. Do you have the lens for the license plate light ?

Looks terrific Ulf. Do you have the lens for the license plate light ?

Kevin! It's there!

One funny thing I must mention ist hat the lens is marked 64 V which indicate it's made for 1964 Valiant. Chrysler kept it for 2 years, 64 and 65.

So all 1965 Dart has 1964 Valiant license plate lights!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 002.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 399
On the shifter console on 1965 Dart, Valiant and Barracuda there is a black plastic shifter slide insert. On my convertible the black plastic is just black with no pattern.

I bought a repop slide insert from REM and it is in good condition but I has a pattern! Should there be a pattern on them? I've never seen that Before. No pattern at all on my convertible. Or did the pattern disappeare over the years?

Any help is gladly appriciated.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 008.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 373
  • 010.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 350
I will have to look but think the NOS plastic slide I bought years ago for my Dart convertible has no pattern, just kind of shiny black plastic. I will try to find it this afternoon.

I will have to look but think the NOS plastic slide I bought years ago for my Dart convertible has no pattern, just kind of shiny black plastic. I will try to find it this afternoon.

That's awesome Don. Thanks so much!

Do you know where you bought your NOS one?

On the shifter console on 1965 Dart, Valiant and Barracuda there is a black plastic shifter slide insert. On my convertible the black plastic is just black with no pattern. I bought a repop slide insert from REM and it is in good condition but I has a pattern! Should there be a pattern on them? I've never seen that Before. No pattern at all on my convertible. Or did the pattern disappeare over the years? Any help is gladly appriciated.

What does the other side of this slide look like? Is the pattern on both sides ? I agree, the slide should be a semi-gloss plain plastic piece. You might find what you need from a plastics supplier and just get them to cut it to the correct shape. I would think that original ones have no identifying marks on them at all. No part number, no Chrysler logo, nothing.

-
Back