1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I have a phone number for the guy -- I'll try calling and see if he's still around.

Thanks Dan. I really appriciate your help.

Behind the backseat there was some kind of black cardboard or paperboard covering the backside of the backseat. Does anyone what it is called and if it is possible to buy somewhere? The one in my car was just small pieces and I'm not even sure if was for the backseat!:glasses7:

Yup, my 66 Valiant has one like that.

Yepp, that's the one. Thanks Dan and Keith! Is there a preferred supplier of those. I guess that repop is the only choice!

I have also digged in the front looking strip for the front window. It's a special profile for the front window. It's also the same on the side quarter windows of station wagons.

If you see the last Picture on the strip I was able to buy from Keith there seems to have a special chrome on it supported with some kind of plastic layer. Anyone know what that chrome is called? I don't know what to ask for! :banghead:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 486
  • 002.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 483
  • 003.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 465
  • 004.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 466
It's Mylar stretched over (and adhered to) the base plastic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jP7Trrc8WE"]Mylar Plastic Film (BoPET): "Whats It to You" 1955 Dupont 24min - YouTube[/ame]

Mylar Plastic Film (BoPET): "Whats It to You" 1955 Dupont 24min - YouTube

Dan! After searching the Internet I found out that the Mylar was just the thin plastic covering the plastic locking strip. When looking closer on the looking strip is has a special pattern. Was this stamped into to the locking strip before it was chromed and then covered with Mylar?

I have sent DuPont an email asking for help. I might be able some where in US tp have the locking strip re-chromed and then shipped to DuPont. You can wonder if if would be possible to get a manufacturer och plastic strips made the strip with the pattern, have someone chrome it and the have a deal with DuPont to cover it with Mylar.

How big would the market for such a product be? I know 1963 to 1966 A-body used them so they might have a market.

Any input from other FABO members is appriciated.

After searching the Internet I found out that the Mylar was just the thin plastic covering the plastic locking strip.

Er…yes, that's exactly what I said!
redbeard.gif

You're barking up the wrong tree; the lockstrip was not chromed. The mylar was metallised, something like this. DuPont are an enormous corporation who don't sell in consumer-level (or car enthusiast group-buy) quantities.

As for the texture lines: I don't recall if they were moulded into the lockstrip or were only present in the Mylar layer.

How big would the market for such a product be?

Unfeasibly tiny. :-(

I believe the pattern is in the thin cover. My dad in the late 70's painted his silver after the thin wrap came off and it was smooth. But his car is a 66 Cuda and in 66 the locking strip is different and was only like that for 1-year.

The more I think about it, the more I recall the same as you, on all the '60-'66 A-bodies: once the metallized mylar flakes off, the base plastic lockstrip has a smooth surface without the ridges.

The more I think about it, the more I recall the same as you, on all the '60-'66 A-bodies: once the metallized mylar flakes off, the base plastic lockstrip has a smooth surface without the ridges.

Thanks for clearifying everything Dan! I will call DuPont tomorrow to se what they can do for me.

I have two more brackets (left and right) for the quarter glass. It's the bracket that holds the glass sideways. First I thought the weatherstrip was the same as the ones on top of the door but it's not. Have anyone change these weatherstrip.(not sure if they are called weatherstrip)!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 439
I have a phone number for the guy -- I'll try calling and see if he's still around.

Dan! Any luck?

I was going to install the side glassin the doors. First out was the driver's side. I mounted the sliding bracket and looks good. Inside I can see that it looked like it did back in the day. Even alot of overspray!!

I have done all the parts for the side glass including paper gasket and the plastic plugs holding the glass to the regulator. BUT, I forgot the black gasket that goes between the glass and the rear stainless steel moulding!:banghead:

I need to stop by the local glass guy tomorrow and ask themif they have this kind of gasket.

Does anyone know if this gasket is repopped? I searched and could not find it.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 009.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 425
  • 008.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 007.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 412
  • 006.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 428
  • 005.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 004.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 412
Very good progress, can't wait until its finished and you take it out for a photo shoot!

Nope -- the phone number has been disconnected. So that guy's apparently gone. Best use the other link I posted.

Dan! I checked it out but it seems like the body is different then the factory ones. I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

Very good progress, can't wait until its finished and you take it out for a photo shoot!

Rockerdude! Me too. It will feel great to have a car in good condition and cannot drive it!!! LOL:banghead:

These are the differencies between the factory, Chrysler replacement and the repopped antenna base..

I called a company in US and they might have a new antenna. They will compare with my pictures.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 007.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 008.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 417
The quarter window stuff is all there. It took some time to add all the grease that should be on all the parts.

The biggest issue I have right now; The channel holding the glass follows a track in the front of the glass. The track is mounted with an adjustable nut at the topn. At the bottom it is mounted with a bolt to a bracket that is welded in to the body. My problem is which side does it mounts against???

Thanks for any help FABO.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 375
  • 004.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 349

This type of mylar coating was used for a number of years on a whole variety of Chrysler vehicles. I was on several of the windows of my '86 Dodge Maxi-wagon as well as the liftgate window on my '79 Aspen.

I believe the mylar was discontinued, probably as a cost save in the early 1990s.

Is the 66 A-body antenna the same or similar? I know originals are tough to find but I have a nice one I removed from my Valiant and it's the factory one to! I can dig it out and get some pics if you like.

This type of mylar coating was used for a number of years on a whole variety of Chrysler vehicles. I was on several of the windows of my '86 Dodge Maxi-wagon as well as the liftgate window on my '79 Aspen.

Yahbut, the concave profile and ridged appearance was unique to the pre-'67 cars AFAIK.

I believe the mylar was discontinued, probably as a cost save in the early 1990s.

Are you suggesting Chrysler looked for ways to shave a fraction of a cent from the production cost of an automobile? Oh, <i>pshaw!</i>

kmccabe56

Quote:

Originally Posted by slantsixdan View Post

I have found an NOS lockstrip now but they will get me some pictures before I make a decission. They said that the Mylar had loosedned from the plastic! I'll post some Pictures when they show up.

66340SEDAN Is the 66 A-body antenna the same or similar? I know originals are tough to find but I have a nice one I removed from my Valiant and it's the factory one to! I can dig it out and get some pics if you like.

That would be awesome Keith! I'm not sure either if there were any differencies.

slantsixdan

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmccabe56 View Post

Yahbut, the concave profile and ridged appearance was unique to the pre-'67 cars AFAIK.

What years had that profile? Was the same strip used from 1960 to 1966?

The quarter glass on a 1965 Dart GT ( I assume 1964 and 1966 Dart GT hardtop is the same) is attached to a bracket with two bolts. According to the partsbook there should be a support and some kind of gasket. Does anyone know how it looks? I forgot to take pictures of this section when I teared the car apart.

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 290
The beltine that mounts to the (not sure of the name) looks similiar to the beltline sweeper or car wiskers. The difference seems to be the stainless steel line on top. I can't recall seeing any of these beltlines.

My brother-in-law showed up with an old untouched quarter glass for a 65 Dart. The glass is held in place with a bolt with two washers made of thin plastic and a short piece of rubber hose in between. It seems like the hose was a little longer so when you tightened the bolt the rubber increased in size and filled the hole so it got tight. That will be next project tomorrow. That means that I might be able to mount the first side glass.

The last picture is for 65DartGTConvt. This is the place to order the positice cable between the battery, starter and the bulkhead connector. The order number can be found somewhere in the thread!! LOL!

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 004.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 270
  • 003.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 001.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 005.jpg