1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Anyone that knows what paint that was used on the console? Can it be the same as the instrument cluster? It is some kindof silver. Not sure more precisely!:banghead:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 654
  • 008.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 641
The bolt that holds the bracket to the glass has two washers made of plastic for each hole. The old ones are worned out and cracked so new ones needed to be fabricated. I located a cap from a spray can with the right thickness. After some measuring I got the right outer diameter. I cut the plastic washers with a nail sizzor so the next step will be that my buddy Johan will drill a 1/2" hole for me. That will do it so I can mount the glass to the bracket.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 003.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 614
  • 002.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 639
  • 001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 633
A while back we had a discussion about the yellow drums.

My friend Don (65 dartman) found this rear end for sale here on FABO. 8 3/4" w/3.91 sure grip. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970654983&posted=1#post1970654983

I know these rear axles became available in May of 1965 so yes, this could been mounted on a Dartcharger. The first picture is the one on FABO and the second Picture is my old factort front brake drum.

But did the early 8 3/4" axles had these drums with the flange as well as the emergency brake wires? The right side wire looks strange compare to the ones I have!

Thanks Don for sharing the info.

Attachments

• DSC00008_zpsa9931f45.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 593
  • ICCA%20025.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 579
The brakes on a 8 3/4" axle was that 10" like the 7 1/4" axle which means the same brake area?

If a 8 3/4" rear end was ordered, was there a difference in the length of the prop.shaft?

Yes with a 10 inch brake the shoes and drums were the same with 8 3/4 and 7 1/4

Yes the 8 3/4 had a shorter shaft

Yes with a 10 inch brake the shoes and drums were the same with 8 3/4 and 7 1/4

Yes the 8 3/4 had a shorter shaft

Thanks chryslerfat! That was information I didn't know about.

The washers are done. They looks awesome. This is a kit that someone should repop for FABO members so they don't have rattling sideglass!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 556
Now the first quarter glass is in Place. After Reading the shop manual for quite some time I was ready to add the glass.

The bolt with the rubber hose and the washer was in place so attention was on not damage the glass or cracking the paint. I covered the sides with fabrics and then I was able to let down the glass and putting the bolts through the glass and then add the washer on the backside of the glass before mounting it to the bracket.

Then time to adjust the front track so the glass can go up/down without getting to close to the body. Remember that the glass should have the cat wiskers on eachside too!

Now I just need tofind the belt for the rear track and one side is done!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 541
  • 001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 537
A man could spend days reading this thread . love it

Thanks Doc!

Last night I got a email that I that never was possible. A company just selling parts found one front windshield locking strip and contacted me. Due to some cracks on the side in the Mylar they thought it could not be used. I guess that this is my chance of getting the correct locking strip ever!

Attachments

• 000_0002.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 000_0003.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 525
Thanks Doc!

Last night I got a email that I that never was possible. A company just selling parts found one front windshield locking strip and contacted me. Due to some cracks on the side in the Mylar they thought it could not be used. I guess that this is my chance of getting the correct locking strip ever!

Ulf, is that the strip? Looks like one for a 1966 a-body....still would get it though :glasses7:

I'm seeing the same thing: crowned instead of concave surface profile. Still way, far closer than any of the other options I've seen available in any country. Ulf, you'd be doing the community a huge service (and probably make a nice profit) if you were to have this material reproduced!

I'm seeing the same thing: crowned instead of concave surface profile. Still way, far closer than any of the other options I've seen available in any country. Ulf, you'd be doing the community a huge service (and probably make a nice profit) if you were to have this material reproduced!

Dan! With your knowledge, do you know any one that would be able to repop these mouldings? DuPont said that they could not provide the moulding. I have talked with 4 companies here in Sweden and they don't have the machinery to do them.

Any input would be mostly appriciated.

The work with the side glass continued tonight. The U-channel I ordered was discounted so I found a flat rubber mat with 1/16" thickness. With that I was able to get the rubber mat on top of the glass and bring the stainless steel mouldding in place. With a hammer!!!

After I had mounted the lower bracket on the window I found out that the assembly line workers mounted the bracket on the mecanism and then dropped down the glass! :banghead: To get the U-channel the way it looked I needed to trim the rubber channel with a razor blade. To get the car quite I had the NOS weatherstrip between the side glass and the quarter glass. Part numbers casted in the weatherstrip means NOS!

Then it was time to add the bolts holding the vent window frame in place. The yellow dichromated "washer" was in Place and the bolts that were black phosphated. Now it starts tolooks like they did it!

Then an hour to ajust the hole thing to get satiesfied. Need to get the black plastic u-channel for the vent window!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 012.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 495
  • 011.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 009.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 505
  • 008.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 493
  • 007.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 502
  • 006.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 486
  • 004.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 002.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 493
  • 001.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 521
Dan! With your knowledge, do you know any one that would be able to repop these mouldings?

You might approach Precision Replacement Parts. They're the major supplier of windshield gaskets and lockstrips in North America. The lockstrip they presently supply for their DWG625 (windshield gasket for these cars) doesn't look or fit like the original. They probably won't be too interested if you present this as "Here, let me send you a sample so you can make a more accurate lockstrip for this application you already cover" -- not enough volume for them to pay attention. You might stand a chance if you present it as "I need this exact lockstrip reproduced, here's my sample, I'm willing to pay, the new one has to look like this, and oh by the way this lockstrip will also fit and look much better in the gasket for NAGS DW625 and DW590".

You might approach Precision Replacement Parts. They're the major supplier of windshield gaskets and lockstrips in North America. The lockstrip they presently supply for their DWG625 (windshield gasket for these cars) doesn't look or fit like the original. They probably won't be too interested if you present this as "Here, let me send you a sample so you can make a more accurate lockstrip for this application you already cover" -- not enough volume for them to pay attention. You might stand a chance if you present it as "I need this exact lockstrip reproduced, here's my sample, I'm willing to pay, the new one has to look like this, and oh by the way this lockstrip will also fit and look much better in the gasket for NAGS DW625 and DW590".

Dan! You know them all! Within a week I will write an email but before I send it I will email you so you can have a look at it. Thanks!

Last night I got an email telling me they found the last NOS antenna for my car! Yipiii! I need to buy a lotto ticket. This week has been crazy!

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 490
The work to get the vent window in place was more tricky then I ever thought of! :banghead:

The black plastic U-channel is hard to find in great condition. I have searched over 100 companies and no one has it.

The only option seems to be to wax the plastic channel to like new condition and then re-use it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 435
  • 001.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 435
THe front vent window was a blast to put in place. I used some glue to keep it in place. The pivot that I found NOS was in questionable condition. I wonder if they did such a poor job when they chromed the pivot?

Anyway,it feels great to have it place.

The right side quarter window was easier then the left side. However the welding of the tracks on the inside of the panel was worse then the left side. It needed way much more attension to get the glass in right place. Whilemounting the glass I found out that my car came with two different styles on the bolts holding the glass into the bracket!

Now it's only the right side glass and Before I can mount that glass I need to polish the stainless steel moulding.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 004.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 409
  • 005.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 006.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 419
The carpet has been an issue for a long time.

Today my buddy Johan took out the carpet from his two owner Dart 270.The carpet has never been out of the car, not the front or the rear carpet.

First of all he found out that the rear carpet was extended the easy way. On the under side of the carpet there was some kind of tejp holding the two pieces together!! I have never seen that before. So both the left and right side has this extension. So if I have said something about the rear carpet was in one piece I was wrong! Sorry for that.

The rear carpet had the decal on the under side as well and it was circled with a cryon pen. It was noticed since the crayon marking did markings on the rear floor as well.

It still has the Redfield decal on the front and rear carpet.

Attachments

• A002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 413
  • A004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 390
  • A001.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 381
  • A003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 394
  • A005.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 397
  • A006.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 373
The right side glass is ready. The stainless steel moulding was in superb condition so the polishing was a blast!

Adding the rubber moulding did it and the glass looks like it should.

The vent window is holded inplace with a chromed pivot and a chromed washer. There is a screw on the inside that holds Everything in Place. However when re-chroming the screws they turns one size smaller. I need a mint used screw for this.

If any member has this tiny little screw for sale I would be more then happy!:glasses7:

A tricky question. The front weatherstrip moulding that holds the front glass (windshield), does the glass mounts with glass sealer in the weatherstrip? Thanks FABO for any help.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 002.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 365
  • 003.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 356
Finally the glass on the passenger side is in place adjusted and all. Next thing will be to start with the front window and mount the front weatherstrip.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 347
Possibly a dumb question, did this car originally have a vinyl-covered roof?

No, it didn't! But for the last 4 month I have wished it came with white vinyl roof! I think it would have looked great with yellow paint and white/gold interior!

Can´t say it too many times, you´re doing a fantastic job on your Dart. Hope to be able to see it in person.

Can´t say it too many times, you´re doing a fantastic job on your Dart. Hope to be able to see it in person.

Thanks Swedefish!

The old NOS front weatherstrip moulding for the weindshield is NOS and a little stiffy. After some work to get it on the new windshield I will leave it for some weeks before I mount it so it will be easier to get in place.

Still wonder if there were any sealer between the windshield and the weatherstrip?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 289
-
Back