1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
It wasn't on my 65 GT convertible or the GT hardtop I parted out.

Found it. '65 FPC shows "with" and "without" P/Ns for Dart GT (only) hardtops and convertibles (only):

65_FPC_23-101-3_Illustration.png

65_FPC_23-101-3_Numbers.png

But I'm confuzzed, then. If this dingus doesn't swing open with the door, what use is the reflector?

Found it. '65 FPC shows "with" and "without" P/Ns for Dart GT (only) hardtops and convertibles (only):

But I'm confuzzed, then. If this dingus doesn't swing open with the door, what use is the reflector?

Dan! Don't you think the refelctive stripe was only on the doors? Not on the rear panels!

I was able to add the armrest on the drivers door and even picked up the NOS handle for the door. All of a sudden I forgot to take away the chrome moulding that is pressed into the panels. It even looked better!

The right side rear quarter is done too so now all there is to it is the passenger door.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 537
  • 002.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 003.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 004.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 529

Interesting that Mopar describes the 4 door as a "4 door hardtop" (4D H.T) whereas it is a 4 door sedan because of the center post. tmm

They don't. There are no A-body 4-door hardtops, that's why there are no part numbers in that column. The leftmost column ("Sed" for sedan) is where the 4-door parts are listed.

I see now Dan. The heading is used for all models and not A bodies specific. Thanks for the clarification. tmm

Dan! Don't you think the refelctive stripe was only on the doors? Not on the rear panels!

I was able to add the armrest on the drivers door and even picked up the NOS handle for the door. All of a sudden I forgot to take away the chrome moulding that is pressed into the panels. It even looked better!

The right side rear quarter is done too so now all there is to it is the passenger door.

Hey Ulf, that looks so sweet. I can almost smell that "new car" fragrance. :glasses7:

Hey Ulf, that looks so sweet. I can almost smell that "new car" fragrance. :glasses7:

Thanks Swedefish!

Today I could not continue without start testing the electrical systems. Everything worked before I added the dash. The rear tail lights and the license plate light worked. The front lights including the parking lights worked fine too. The turn signal, the fan, the windshield wipers, the windshield washer pump, the radio, the oil lamp, the indicator lamp for the center console, the starter, the high and low bean switch incl indicator light.

BUT, the indicator lamp for the right turn and the left instrument panel lamp beside the speedometer does not work. If I move the bulbs they still work. It seems to be something with the ground on the left side of the dash.

Tomorrow I will continue to solve the problem. But I like when I see the lamps in working condition and with new lenses and all it looks great.
Thank you Dan for the bulbs. The really do the difference!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 502
  • 002.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 503
  • 001.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 516
She's really starting to take shape Ulf and as always we are all enjoying your build.
tmm

Ahhh, right you are…it's actually both. I didn't dig deeply enough into the parts book; in addition to 23-101-3 (Quarter trim panel) there are also with/without reflective stripe part numbers for 23-92-5 (Door trim panel):

65_interior_Codeletters.png
65_Interior_Codeletters_2.png
65_23-92-5_numbers.png

Ulf, this is probably why you're having difficulty with the dashboard lights:
Kittywhirl.gif

Ahhh, right you are…it's actually both. I didn't dig deeply enough into the parts book; in addition to 23-101-3 (Quarter trim panel) there are also with/without reflective stripe part numbers for 23-92-5 (Door trim panel):

65_interior_Codeletters.png
65_Interior_Codeletters_2.png
65_23-92-5_numbers.png

Ulf, this is probably why you're having difficulty with the dashboard lights:
Kittywhirl.gif

I didn't know either Dan! Thanks for sharing. It is nice to find out so much just from the FPC. It has tons of information.

Love that cat! LOL

The rear armrest pad still has some material to go. After cutting with a razor blade I was able to adjust the opening for the ashtray. I must admit that the foam for these armrest pads are very hard. If not my guess is that they would just tear apart after a couple of years use.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 456
If not my guess is that they would just tear apart after a couple of years use.

So, smoking will be prohibeted in your car. :glasses7:

You have done a great work so far!!

I'll catch you up at ODF (Orsa Drag Fest) this summer anyway. Looking forward to speak to you.

So, smoking will be prohibeted in your car. :glasses7:

You have done a great work so far!!

I'll catch you up at ODF (Orsa Drag Fest) this summer anyway. Looking forward to speak to you.

Plaschy! You are so right. Smoking is prohibited! :glasses7:

That would be great to see you at Orsa. Actually I'm down in Stockholm every second week working so we might meet before that!

Today was a "pick-up-alot-of-stuff" day!

First of all I was able to find a 2" wide double side tape that I will use for the carpet. Then I stopped by a upholsterer. They has jute band that they use for chairs.With that I can glue that textile band on top the tape. It will be great.

I was also able to find isolation that is 7/16" thick which means I hace to make it double. That will get me the right thickness.

Next is that my date coded shocks showed up.They just need a glass beading and a shot of new paint.

Also the looking strip was there. However the profile is not 100% correct. Not sure if I can use that strip! :banghead: But it might be the closest. The Mylar is in great shape so that is perfect.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 004.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 430
  • 003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 002.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 451
  • 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 424
There are times that I get a little put off with my project... so much to do! But then I get an email update from a thread like yours Ulf, and knowing how hard it must be do find old parts for a 50 year old American car in Sweden, I tell myself to knock it off and get back to work.

Have you posted pictures in this thread of you other Darts? I'll admit that I have missed more than a few pages!

Wonderful work on the car and a phenomenal job posting all the detailed photos and information. By the way, the 65 Dart is my favorite. I got my 69 through a set of circumstance and timing.

Thank you!

Ulf, that looks like maybe '66-style lockstrip. I can't quite tell from this angle: is it symmetrical in cross-section, or asymmetrical? Is it new-production, or NOS?

There are times that I get a little put off with my project... so much to do! But then I get an email update from a thread like yours Ulf, and knowing how hard it must be do find old parts for a 50 year old American car in Sweden, I tell myself to knock it off and get back to work.

Have you posted pictures in this thread of you other Darts? I'll admit that I have missed more than a few pages!

Wonderful work on the car and a phenomenal job posting all the detailed photos and information. By the way, the 65 Dart is my favorite. I got my 69 through a set of circumstance and timing.

Thank you!

Thanks Geo4K for your nice comments. Glad it can be used as an inspiration! I have a couple of threads here as well that keeps me going!

Ulf, that looks like maybe '66-style lockstrip. I can't quite tell from this angle: is it symmetrical in cross-section, or asymmetrical? Is it new-production, or NOS?

Dan! It 's a NOS piece. I have the partnumber back home. But the factory looking strip has the center of the moulding lower then the outer upper areas. This moulding has the center area higher then the outer area!!:banghead:

Yup, you got hold of '66 lockstrip there. It'll fit and work, but it does have a different profile than the '60-'65 lockstrip.

Yup, you got hold of '66 lockstrip there. It'll fit and work, but it does have a different profile than the '60-'65 lockstrip.

Dan! I must admit that I never thought that 1966 had a different profile on the looking strip compared to 60-65 A-body!

I'm ready to sell this strip since it's not ok for my car but I wonder where the market to find the right one is??:banghead:

Today was the assembly of the antenna. I was able to get the right model incl the right "thing" that goes just under the fender.

After that it was time to mount the rear inner splash shield. Now is everything in order.

Question! Was the tab in the wheel house opening painted black or just covered with undercoating?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 002.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 003.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 291
  • 004.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 297
  • 005.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 006.jpg