1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
The brake booster is finally assembled together! The new rebuild kit from Valley was the right stuff. Thank you slantsixdan.

The booster just needs the nuts to be glass beaded. But I've seen some boosters with the nuts and some without the nuts. Any knowledge about this in the FABO world?

View attachment 001.jpg

What I found out through the partsbook is that there should be a gasket between the brake booster and the brake cylinder. Does anyone on this site seen one? I have not during my years with mopars!

If some one have one for sale I'm open to offers. Thanks for any help.

After an hour of cleaning and soap I have almost mint bushings and they look great. I have tried for years to find NOS ones but they seems impossible to find. The pin between the rod and the other rod is glass beaded and looks nice. Stamped with "D". The old one was too rusted. This one comes from Finland.

The brake booster finally got the last coat of paint. Cant wait until it's dried.

But the gasket between the booster and the master cylinder........ is another story.

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

What I found out through the partsbook is that there should be a gasket between the brake booster and the brake cylinder. Does anyone on this site seen one? I have not during my years with mopars!

If some one have one for sale I'm open to offers. Thanks for any help.

Two days ago at the Mopar Nationals I came across this guy:
http://www.theramman.com/products/power_brake_kit-midland_ross_66_70_b_body_complete/index.html

Note that he does a lot of things with brakes and is quite knowledgeable. I told him you were restoring a 1965 Dart and needed to know if there was a gasket between the booster and the MC. He said "Absolutely Not! Chrysler NEVER used a gasket there because it would affect the brake rod adjustment." He said that over the years, people started to make gaskets for things like this and over time, the issue has become muddy. You might want to send him an e-mail and ask about your other question regarding the nuts.

I also asked him about the correct master cylinder to be used on my friend's 69 GTX w/ discs and off the top of his head, he rattled off the casting number that should be on the bottom of the MC. He had the correct one sitting right there on the table and sure enough, it was xxxxxxx. If you have any questions about your brakes, he's the man. He also sells individual parts.

Two days ago at the Mopar Nationals I came across this guy:
http://www.theramman.com/products/power_brake_kit-midland_ross_66_70_b_body_complete/index.html

Note that he does a lot of things with brakes and is quite knowledgeable. I told him you were restoring a 1965 Dart and needed to know if there was a gasket between the booster and the MC. He said "Absolutely Not! Chrysler NEVER used a gasket there because it would affect the brake rod adjustment." He said that over the years, people started to make gaskets for things like this and over time, the issue has become muddy. You might want to send him an e-mail and ask about your other question regarding the nuts.

I also asked him about the correct master cylinder to be used on my friend's 69 GTX w/ discs and off the top of his head, he rattled off the casting number that should be on the bottom of the MC. He had the correct one sitting right there on the table and sure enough, it was xxxxxxx. If you have any questions about your brakes, he's the man. He also sells individual parts.

Thanks for the input. I will give him a call. I checked the partsbook and there is a partsnumber for the gasket. It's #2074965. But I will call him. Thanks for the tips KosmicKuda.

Tonight I did some glass beading. The mounting bracket for the speaker and the steering floor cover. After the paint was applayed it looks like new. I even found some strange production number in the speaker bracket but it's probably just from the manufacturer.

I test mounted the brake cylinder to the booster just to see how it turned out but I need to check with "the ram man" about the gasket.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

I have only seen a gasket used same as the white one you show if it had manual brakes and no power assist. The piece you show above it I believe is a spacer that I have seen with power brakes and no gaskets just the spacer.

I have seen the white foam gasket on several cars but this special gasket between the brake booster and the master cylinder is the first of it's kind I ever seen.

This is the answer I got from the Ram man.

"the early bendix..the sole purpose of the gasket was a spacer for the master cylinder piston retainer screw on the back of master cylinder was not considered a part to ever wear out..non serviceable...reuse old one.period

have not seen fiber gasket in over 20 years"

I guess I need to get a better used gasket or reuse my old one.

Any NOS ones out there?

I found out tonight that the cap on the master cylinder have two versions.

The first one is an ordinarycap without anythinmg special.

The second one have a extra small cap spotwelded to the cap. I am not sure which one is from 1965 but when I looked on my unrestored 65 Dart it sems to be the one without spot welded extra cap.

What do you guys have on your unrestord cars?I need to find a cap in mint condition.

Anything out there for sale?

I found on the backside of a door moulding the insert nut in rubber that goes on the door to hold the door vents. Any ides where to get them?

I need to get a new resistor. You can see the numbers but I need to find one. Did they just came on cars with radio?

I also need the lower bracket that holds the alternator on the underside. The bracket is damaged with some pliers or something.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Ulf your part are a pitting attack it´s that right ,I have one at this part !

I will make a pic for you , you need this

Got the package from US yesterday but I forgot about it. So today I started to assemblethe parts that were yellow dichromated in US on the hood stuff and the choke unit. I really looking forward to start on the body when it is painted.

I was so impressed of the work that they have done. That makes it easier to get right.

View attachment 005.jpg

Where did you get the yellow dichromate done? Those pieces look really nice. Was wondering about the transmission to engine braces - originals I'm seen were painted black. Were your originals dichromated?

Where did you get the yellow dichromate done? Those pieces look really nice. Was wondering about the transmission to engine braces - originals I'm seen were painted black. Were your originals dichromated?

I did some good cleaning on them before I did the glass beading and yes they were yellow dichromated. I'm not sure on cars assembled at St Louis and Detroit built cars but LA cars seems to have it. Have you checked yours? I will check mine on the 270 4dr sedan. It can be different procedure between plants or changes in procedures during production year.

Added up the bolts for the rear shocks. I might need a new set. They have some marks on them. As you can see they have been silver cadmium from factory. Mounted the lower control arm bumper too with the right nut.

The studs for the lower front fender and the clips are ready for assemble. I need to start working on the frame on wheels for the body. Paintman will start within 4-5 weeks. Yihaaaaaa.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 529
  • 006.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 008.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 529
Anyone having a set of NOS rear shocks? I have the front ones.

Was there a washer on the inside of the upper and lower bolts?

-
Back