1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Those probably go along the back side of the trunk and cover the wiring. I have seen the same paperboard pieces along the back covering the wiring on a Barracuda.

Chryslerfat, thanks for the input. I have never seen that in any Dart. Was that standard or option, factory or dealer?

Chryslerfat, thanks for the input. I have never seen that in any Dart. Was that standard or option, factory or dealer?
I am not sure but believe it would have been factory. The one car I had seen those in had low mileage and had been sitting for 30 years untouched.

I checked the rear springs. How was the bolt mounted? Outside and in or the other way? Checked on my 4 door sedan too. How is yours?

The clips seems to have been mounted with the nut and bolt downwards. The plastic between the clip and the springs seems to have been mounted with the highest part towards the inside. The reason might be that it will cover the splash from the other rear tire. That will prevent sand and dirt to get in between the leafs.

Now is all the springs aprt. Will take it to my buddy with the bath!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

After some hard work with the hammer the right drive shaft popped out. It was rusted between the bearing and the housing. Now I just need to get out the center section!!

The left drive shaft had som kind of foam gasket between the housing and the bearing cover. The right side had a standard oil gasket! Need to find out what was standard.

The underside of the housing just have two markings. What they stands for is unknown at this time.

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

Last night I read an article about the trunk mat. In 65 it seems that they were in two versions. This is the version that was in my 65 270 4 door sedan. This car is assembled in Hamtramck too. My DartCharger was assembled in LA and I don't know if there is any difference between the plants!

This one is produced August 22nd for a car produced October 15. The judges allow car parts 6 month prior to assembly date. This one needs alot of restoration and will not be perfect but it's better then nothing. But if someone have one of these in mint condition and would be willing to sell it I would be number 1 in the line.

8 22 1 H 1648 BX7 means

8 = August
22 = production day
1 = shift 1
H = ??
1648 = manufacturer
BX7 = ??

Anyone have any input on these codes?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

I closed the deal of the year today! I found a company in Sweden that will do the restoration of my transmission incl the right surface on it too. The restoration will be done by one of the WPC Club of Swedens member. He was a mecanic for transmissions only in the sixties.

The restoration will be done with just NOS parts. So far 75 % of the stuff is found. This include all the old style gaskets too. They will test run it too to see that there is no leakage.

Yihaaaaa, I need a MGD now. I can almost see how it will look when the tranny is done and the engine is painted and detailed.

So tonight my work in the shop was to start to make a plywood box for my transmission!

View attachment 001.jpg

Before the tranny will go into the box I took some more pictures. The rear yoke seems to have a natural finish from factory. However on the upper left and right there are evidence of yellow paint splots. Was that a proof that the bolts were tightened?

The front cover on the tranny is NOS but needs some cleaning. BUT, I do not have the small cover. Is there anyone who is willing to sell me a mint used one or an NOS one if possible?

Thanks for any help.

On the rear drums there was evidence of yellow paint. If you guys remember Bob Smocks DartCharger convertible from a Mopar magazine years ago he had painted the drums yellow as well. My front ones is painted yellow too. Does anyone recall seeing this before?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

You do know you can get very good brand-new reproduction trunk mats, right?
You are aware of the reasons it's unwise to use NOS gaskets and seals in the transmission, right?

You do know you can get very good brand-new reproduction trunk mats, right?
You are aware of the reasons it's unwise to use NOS gaskets and seals in the transmission, right?

Dan! Inside the tranny all parts will br new but the gasket that can be seen from outside will be NOS. Re the trunk mat i didnt know. Ive bought a plastic one on ebay that I wasnt satiesfied with. Where can I find them,?

Slantsixdan! I've found out that you know alot about the electrical stuff. Do you know where it's possible to find a headlight hi/lo foot switch? It must be NOS. I've searched but with no luck. You seems to be the pro in this area.

What are you going to do to protect all the NOS bare metal parts? In some of your pictures, they are already starting to get a light film of rust.

What are you going to do to protect all the NOS bare metal parts? In some of your pictures, they are already starting to get a light film of rust.

I will try to keep the light fim of rust. However different parts will be coated with some kind of protection spray. I read about it in Mopar Collectors Guide and you could not see that it was covered in that film. In that way it will be protected. But the biggest issue is that when will I drive it? Date coded tires, hoses, belts etc! I guess that I need to make up a plan for that!!!!

I will try to keep the light fim of rust. However different parts will be coated with some kind of protection spray. I read about it in Mopar Collectors Guide and you could not see that it was covered in that film. In that way it will be protected. But the biggest issue is that when will I drive it? Date coded tires, hoses, belts etc! I guess that I need to make up a plan for that!!!!

You won't be able to.........it will be so nice that it will be in a muesum!! :D

I have had great luck with Gibbs Brand penetrant. It doesn't change the color of the part and you can paint over it if needed.

Were can I get Gibbs Brand? What kind of product is it? I have heard that alot of restorers use the WD 40 but I know that after a couple of washes the stuff is gone! Isit visible with eyes or is it there but no one sees it?

Read up on it on their web site http://www.gibbsbrand.net/home.html then do a search on the web. It's available on ebay or several other places. When I get dirty parts, I will clean them down to bare metal then spray with Gibbs until I use the part or sell it. In my opinion, it does not change the look or feel of the part. I am going to use it on my magnesium wheels after they get blasted.

I'm a modified car guy and normally have only a passing interest in restored cars but I do repect the work that goes into them. But this thing has me hooked!!!! What an exact job, I've never seen anybody rebuild a car this authentically. Fantasic work, I have read every page and will follow this thread to the end. I'm impressed and I don't impress eazily.

Marty

Thanks for the kind words. Warms up everything. We had 10 degrees this morning and now 35 degrees!!!!!

Keith, I think I will stick to my plan. When it's ready well see. But I would love to do a burnout with it!!!! Date coded tires............etc

Found one of the orginal gaskets for the rear ends. But in the front inner fender on the lower part there is a frigolit piece that covers the hole toward the engine compartment. Does anyone know if these are reproduced? I need two of them.

Found on old brake pedal arm. On it you can see how the Hamtramck assembly plant did the paint job.

I started with my engine test stand! Looks a little old fashion but will do the job.

For the side exhaust ports there is a small rubber covered nut. Does anyone know if these are possible to find NOS?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Loaded up all the parts for the bath procedure in soda. During this work I found out that I don't have the front bushings for the rear springs. Anyone have it for sale or where to get it?

I also took the rear brake drums to see how they will turn out after the bath. Found a picture of the front drums too with the yellow paint on. Will need some cleaning on the drum and hub before they go to bath too.

Late last night I found a NOS gear ratio for my cat. 3,23 to 1 in mint condition. We will do some negotiating on the price. Anyone need a NOS 2,93 to 1 gear ratio?

View attachment Front brake drums.jpg

Do you need another foam axle gasket for the other side? I think I have some NOS ones if you do

I would try this place (link below), they have alot of NOS stuff, here is a link, they may have some stuf, lots to go through, looks like they have NOS shackle kits, maybe eye bushings too.

http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/query.asp?make=MOPAR+A+BODY&year=0&section=SUSPENSION

Thanks Keith! I will do some searching tonight. I wonder what my wife will say seeing me nailed by the computer........?!!?

I checked my NOS rear shocks. This is how the date codes looks like. This one is dated 2D8.

2 = February
D = fouth week
8 = 1968

That means that thiese shocks are wrong.I need to find new ones. If anyone needs these let me know and I will offer a fair price.

View attachment 002.jpg

-
Back