1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Hi Ulf - great job of documenting everything. It should help others (like myself) in doing their 65 Darts.

Don! Did you vent to Carlisle?
I'lltry to do my best to document everything. But all will go into the reference manual I'm doing for the 1964-1966 Darts w/V8!

Don! Did you vent to Carlisle?
I'lltry to do my best to document everything. But all will go into the reference manual I'm doing for the 1964-1966 Darts w/V8!

No, didn't get to Carlisle - Worked Friday and yesterday as well as spending most of the afternoon at the emergency room with my Mother - she was sick and fell. Nothing broken but does have a UTI so had to pick up pills today. A month from tomorrow we'll be on our way to the Nationals. Can I look for anything for you?

Thank-you for the pics of your car...I actually had never seen one like yours..love the rims..

Have you owned this car for 5 years or have you been collecting parts for this and finally bought one..?????

Thanks
ian.

I bought my hardtop in 2005 and the convertible in 2007. I have collected NOS parts for a 1965 Dart 270 full restoration for 28 years but when I was able to get the DartChargers my plans was to do the full resto on the hardtop and keep the convertible as a great summer car. We only have 3 month of god weather so that's why I prefer a convertible during that time!!

Don!

I need the following pieces right now;

Pins that hold the brake shoesto the backing plate.
Vacuum chamber Part#1843034
Cap part# 2585000
Rotor part#1658535
Condensor part#1818757. But this one needs to the same as they one earlier on the picture.

I'm also looking for the 10" steering knuckles.
The front rear brake shoes is also missing. And an NOS camshaft for 4bbl!

Well, that's some of the parts that hurry right now.

Sorry about your mother. Hope she's getting better.

Our oldest daugher helped one of the sons and when she was going to leave the apartment through the balcony she fell and broke her leg and hur her elbow!! She's walking on cruches for six weeks! Those kids! At least she survived!

Any work on your projects?

This week hasmostly been work on brackets and lower control arms. Tomorrow I will make all the parts that needs glass blasting.Theweatherhas been so terrible that nothing could be done outside!

Today arrived an NOS breaker plate for my Prestolight distributor. What a day!
Will post a picture tomorrow!

NOS breaker plate. Looks good......!

004.jpg

005.jpg

Over the years alot of people has told me how A-body cars should be. The steering arm should be not painted and some tell me not to paint it. Today I found proof that my cars (or maybe LA built cars) had black steering arm.

You guys that have unrestored cars - How look your steering arm? Especially cars produced in Hamtramck and St Louis.

Incl the idler arm that seems to be the only thing in the steering sector that is painted black.

008.jpg

Looked through my NOS sheet metal. Need to find out which thing is missing. Found out that the drivers side is taken care of. Got the front and rear splash shield.

Right side or worse. But I can trade on left side front splash shiled for a right side shield! Anything out there?

Looked through the exhaust gaskets too. I have one #2465845 in the upper position on the picture, fits smallblock 273 and 318 from 1964 to 1969. From 1970 for the 318 they used the gasket #2951285.

But how about the right side. I have never seen an orginal gasket. What I have heard of is that it was a early style gasket where the ports had been drilled out and the small gasket was mounted.

Any comments on this matter ia gladly appriciated!

Have also restored the front bracker between the K-frame and the lower part of the radiator support. Has never seen a mint one ever!

The outer part of the lower control arm was restored too. Looks like new!

011.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Today I mounted the new breaker plate. Wow! NOS stuff is great. I even put it on top of the engine. I wish I had it all thereso I could paint the whole thing. Tomorrow night I will continue to put some bolts where they belong.

Tonight I finally found an NOS camshaft for 4 barrel engine! So when it show up I might be able to bolt the rest and do the paint job!

congrats on all those n o s parts,, but where have you been finding them ??? e bay ??

I have collected 65 Dart parts for the last 26 years. I have bought several dealerships in Sweden, Finland and Norway. Also of cause from US and Canada.

But one of the newly discovered places is FABO. It's one of the best! Otherwise Ebay, Craigs list and other places!

Very nice job Ulf! I look forward to watching this progress! Have you located the resonator/chrome tip for the back? I just love the sound of those cars!

We had a very nice 65 Dart GT, but it was a 273/2bll. Creme color with black interior.

Very nice job Ulf! I look forward to watching this progress! Have you located the resonator/chrome tip for the back? I just love the sound of those cars!

We had a very nice 65 Dart GT, but it was a 273/2bll. Creme color with black interior.

Thanks for comments!

Yes, I do have the resonator. Actually I have 3 of them and two is right date coded! I agree with you, the sound is great!

I have collected 65 Dart parts for the last 26 years.

Ulf - you sound like me! But not collecting as long as you though. I think my most prized score was a NOS complete instrument cluster I bought from a guy in Iceland! I don't have as many NOS resonators as you - just 1 dated for a 65 and a used one dated for a 67.

Ulf - you sound like me! But not collecting as long as you though. I think my most prized score was a NOS complete instrument cluster I bought from a guy in Iceland! I don't have as many NOS resonators as you - just 1 dated for a 65 and a used one dated for a 67.

I guess it just started when I bought my first convertible back in 84! I was at the local Chrysler dealer and bought all the 65 Dart stuff. He asked me why and I said that I was doing a restoration on a 65 Dart. He told me that I should buy what I came across. From now on the parts will be thrown away or trashed. For each day there will be less parts left! So thats the reason!

A couple of years ago I was told that the 65 resonators were black and for 66 they were chrome. Any info about that?

Another odd one was in 88 when I was outside Portland, OR in a town callad Longview. I met a couple that had a 1965 Dart convertible with satin black grill and armrest bases. They told me that Chrysler sold Darts on the west coast callaed the "Blackout special" Have you heard of those cars?

sounds wild to have those cars in ur country,,,but very kool good luck on ur resto,,,

Tonight I have worked with the exhaust manifold on the right side. I can't figure out how the gasket looked between the head and the manifold. What I have heard is that it should be a metal gasket like the one on the left side but without the upper flange. I'm not sure and can't bolt it until I'm 100% sure.

All the bolts and nuts for it is done with the right black phosphate. The stuff for the choke unit will go on when I know for sure.

The 90 degree oil filter adapter will go on next. But still looking for NOS freeze plugs.

Found an NOS copper distributor clamp with some sign of shelf wear but I will use it. Where to get the copper on the clamp? So I'll stick with this one.

I did some work last night. The exhaust lock inside the manifold move freely now. It took almost an hour to get it done. After that two and a half hour of glass beading the bolts for the body panels, doors, hood, fenders, trunk etc. Now they are ready to get the new treatment in US.

I also need some info about the counterweight flange. Which one of them are correct for 65 Dart? I need an NOS stop and the spring too. Anyone out there?

Tonight I have glassbeaded bolts and nuts for four hours. A new shiopment will be shipped to US for right finish. The exhaust manifolds and the K-frame are ready for a second glass beading. The blasting guy will be here on Saturday or Sunday so let hope for good weather.

The engine seems to be put together on time. Is there anyone who has a NOS thermostat housing? Mine is a little rusty under where the upper radiator hose has been.

Took the brackets for the left side exhaust manifold for a good clean. They looks loike new. Problem is if they were steel color or silver cad before the paint went on?

I read some old Dodge dealer magazines from late 1964 and found the first add from Bell Auto offering Cragar 13" wheels for Dodge! Good news and a good start! Any of you who has seen the 14 or 15" wheels with small bolt pattern?

Is there anyone who has seen any commercial or broschures on DartCharger? Any help is gladly appriciated.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment ICCA 004.jpg

Good news today! My new camshaft will be shipped out of US next week. So within the next three weeks I might be able to put the rest of the engine together.

Another great news! The converter was mounted to the flexplate before the paint process started. Look at the evidence. Seems like they painted the lower part of the converter and the plate while they shot the engine!

View attachment 002.jpg

i think its amazing that you are finding so much N O S stuff for an early A,, you are going to have one of the nicest early A cars around and a rare one to boot,, cant wait to see this finished,,,cant imagine what the cost of all those N O S parts are,,,

-
Back