1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
As I mentioned earlier the foot switch for the headlights is manufactured by RBM. I have searched all the internet and there seems to be alot of reproductions but the NOS ones seems hard to find! Does anyone know of an NOS or excellent used?

The return hose for the power steering pump has a special pattern. I have one model for the convertible and I saved one piece from the hardtop as well. They have the same pattern. I checked the one on the wagon but it is totally different. Does anyone know which is correct?

Compared with the hoses for the heather package as well and they are different.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 888
  • 002.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 892
  • 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 889
  • 007.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 898
  • 006.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 919
  • 005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 884
  • 004.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 890
Finally I got the chromed breather cap. I added the repop hose and it looks exactly as the factory one did. Yihaaaa! Finally some parts that are as the were from the beginning.

I stoped by Emil today and he had the last brake drum done. It looked good. Know I need to round up all the bearings and cups.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 915
  • 001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 877
Thanks guys! Keeps me goin.

I found a pair of NOS wiper arms for 1965 A-body on Ebay. Was this the way they looked? I haven't seen the screw at the bottom of the arm!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!nkFB(E5I1zGBQ,I6N(Yv!~~60_57.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 849
I don't have any NOS arms but yours look the same as the used, originals from all three of my 65s. Didn't the 64s have the screw and was changed for 65 to just a splined press-on?

I don't have any NOS arms but yours look the same as the used, originals from all three of my 65s. Didn't the 64s have the screw and was changed for 65 to just a splined press-on?

I think you are right about that....those wiper arm are purdy!!!!

All my 65 Darts have the same windshield wiper arms. This is how it looks on the wagon. Check out the differences on the connecting part of the arm between the two! And also the location of the screw at the bottom of the arm! To me it seems like they are stock. There are some ANCO numbers on the inside. Keith and Don! Can you check your numbers and I will get back tomorrow with my numbers.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 865
  • 003.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 862
  • 002.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 001.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 870
Your engine looks great, BTW.

Thanks!

Today I got a muffler in the mail.

Through the internet I was able to get hold of a picture of a black resonator. That was the first one I ever have seen and I think alot of others too. Here's the story;

Through the webpicture I was able to locate the website where the picture came from. I sent the webmaster an inquire re the picture and asked him to resend it to the owner of this special address. After two days I was contacted by a nice gentlemen who had been into A-bodies for 40+ years. He still had his resonator and was not willing to sell it. But he was willing to trade for a NOS one with bright tip!! After some conversation we made a deal and I sent him my NOS unit. He shipped his and today it showed up.

It has the same dimension as the one with bright tip. The only difference beside the tip is the the one with stainlewss steel tip has a shorter end of the resonator. That's where the tip continues.

All factory mufflers and resonators had date codes. This one has 11-64 which would be November of 1964 and that would fit my car like a glove!

I need to repaint it to get it back in style but that seems to be the small issue. At least I have it for the car now!

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 826
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 853
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 810
After going through all my American car magazines from 1964 to 1966 including Newsstandarchive.com and checking all my TSB and all my Chrysler announcement documents there is no information to be found when the did the production change for the resonator. Was there any special documentation for production changes at all?

So now I am asking the FABO community if you have any written documentation about this or any other input. Or know where to get it. Any help is appriciated.

OK, the tip on the resonator was a little damaged so Ihad to take out some dent from the tip. After an hour is was smooth and ready for a new coat of paint. The paint procedure was easy. There were several drippings alongside the resonator. I painted it the way they did back in the day. Hanging in a hook on the mounting tab. Got some great drippings!!!!

This means that the rear side of the mounting tab was very little paint and the steel can be seen if you look close.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 784
icon14.gif

Finally I got the chromed breather cap. I added the repop hose and it looks exactly as the factory one did. Yihaaaa! Finally some parts that are as the were from the beginning.

I stoped by Emil today and he had the last brake drum done. It looked good. Know I need to round up all the bearings and cups.

The next question is: is the breather hose and filler cap supposed to go towards the firewall or towards the front of the car. I have yet to find a original photo of a CAP engine to be sure although I haven't searched manuals or parts books.
Either way it looks like you may need to re position the Commando sticker on the air cleaner as it should be straight as you look at it from the front of the car. tmm

The next question is: is the breather hose and filler cap supposed to go towards the firewall or towards the front of the car. I have yet to find a original photo of a CAP engine to be sure although I haven't searched manuals or parts books.
Either way it looks like you may need to re position the Commando sticker on the air cleaner as it should be straight as you look at it from the front of the car. tmm

tmm!

I'm pretty sure that the hose and the air cleaner nipple goes towards the front of the car. At least all the pictures and cars I've seen. But I have also learn that never say never!

Last night I started to polish the center section for the 13 inch Cragar wheels. After two hours this is the result. Probably another 3 hours before I'm satiesfied with one of them. Three more to go.......!

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 778
Those are starting to take shape. How did you get them separated from the rim?
I did find a August 1966 photo from Hot rod Magazine. The hose was towards the front of the car. tmm

Those are starting to take shape. How did you get them separated from the rim?
I did find a August 1966 photo from Hot rod Magazine. The hose was towards the front of the car. tmm

A friend of mine Bosse did the job. He mounted the wheel in a lathe! I'm not sure of the name. Then he took a lathe tool and took of as much as he needed on all five welds on the backside of the wheel. (I did use a grinder as well)

After that procedure he made a tool, a ring with a cross in the middle that fitted the center section and took a hydraulic press to get the center section out of the rim. But before that he drilled a hole with a 3/8 drill so we can align the center section before we will weld it back in place.

I talked with the chrome shop and they will do the rims in December so hopefully I will have them back before New Years day. Then I will shot some pictures of the whole process.

After two hours of wet sanding and polishing the first center section is back in shape. Started with the center cap and it turned out great. However a small contour on the curve needs to be wet sanded awat too. But it looks great with the DartCharger emblem on.

The casted ones will need some attention. Need to polish them and get them chromed and painted.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 729
Now when I'm working on the wheels, does someone know how the wheel bolts looked like? I have never seen them. I will shoot some pictures of the three different moeels that was on the car when I bought it.

These are the bolts that I have today.

The first picture is the odd ones that was on one wheel.

The second picture is the other three wheels.Ithink these are the originals but I don't have a clue!

The third picture is the ones I have on my wagon. I bought one set on Ebay but there was one of these boltson one wheel.

So the question remains; which one came factory standard? Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 689
  • mail.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 669
  • mail 1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 678
These are the bolts that I have today.

The first picture is the odd ones that was on one wheel.

The second picture is the other three wheels.Ithink these are the originals but I don't have a clue!

The third picture is the ones I have on my wagon. I bought one set on Ebay but there was one of these boltson one wheel.

So the question remains; which one came factory standard? Any help is appriciated.

Pics 2 and 3 are too small to see.

Pics 2 and 3 are too small to see.

So right! Sorry for the bad quality.

Picture one is the one that was on three wheel and picture two the ones I bought on ebay and was one nut on one wheel.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 675
When O got home from work a small box was laying in front of the door. The postman had left it. The label with my address was hardly visible.

I opened the box and I got a shock och the year!!! Dan Stern alias Slantsixdan has sent me a complete set of lamps for my car. Yiiihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

And I mean turn signal, brake light, tail light, instrument cluster and dome lamp.All of them in old boxes.They look so great I'm not sure if I can use them.No, just kidding!

Dan! Thank you so much. Your knowledge is amazing and where you round up all odd parts is unknown. So thank you so much. I hope you had a great trip overseas. I rounded up a great box for you today.

Continued with the wheels. This is how it looks from start.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 642
  • 021.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 020.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 018.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 687
The washers for the rear resonator is in US to get new finish. The BIG question is; what finnish should they have?

I have after looking in magazines, checking out partsbooks, checking out shop manuals and asking other restoration gurus not found the answer for this question!

I have following suggstions;

Silver zinc, silver cad or yellow dichromated. What's your opinion and ideas?

Attachments

• 245.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 638
Today I got an NOS power steering hose dated week 35 of 1964. Now I just need to get the return hose!

The pressure hose has a red stripe along the hose. The connections are yellow dichromated. The hose is connected to the K-frame with a restored rubber dipped silver cad clamp. The reason must have been so the the hose would not get in contact with the fan.

For the assembly line workers it was easier too when the hose was not in the way when the body was married to the k-frame!

Attachments

• Bild 017.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 629
  • 004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 621
  • 003.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 609
  • 002.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 628
  • 005.jpg