1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Today the corbon clamps arrived. They look good on the vacuum hose for the Bendix check valve.

However I found the nuts and washers for the rear bumpers. The bolts arev restored but the nuts seems impossible fo find.

They are 11/16" head with 3/8" thick. The nut has a special profile on the bottom. They should be black phosphated.

The washers are 0,15748" thick and 1,26771 outside diameter. Inside diameter is 7/16". The washer should be silver zinc.

My question isif it is possibleto get these nuts and washers from US? Any help is gladly appriciated. Thanks FABO

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 539
  • 002.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 527
  • 003.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 562
  • 005.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 008.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 548
Back in 1988 I was fortune to meet a nice gentlemen in Longview, WA. I was staying with my friends David and Phillis who also had a Dart GT conv. named John. John had been in the WW2 and was stationed at Pearl Harbour after the attack.

After serving in the Navy he vent to work at Chryslers assembly plant in Los Angeles. When they closed it down in 1971 he moved up to Portland, OR and started to work at Chryslers Parts Depot.

He had so many stories to tell and was very well speaken. I felt like a little boy. He was interested in my restoration ofmy Dart GT conv that I had back then and after two weeks he showed up at David and Phillis house with a big wodden box.

That box was the box he shipped back his personal belongings back to LA after the war was over. He had bought alot of parts over the years for his 1965 Dart 270 two door sedan he had back then. "- When you need some parts for your car you might find it in the box he said! In the early 1990 he passed away.

Years ago I found some neat old stuff that he had bought at the Monticello Garage in Longveiw with reciepts and all. Then it was just stuffed away.
I had forgot about that box and today I found it. In that box was one thing left, a weatherstripping. After checking the profile I started to wondering if this weatherstripwas for the front door. And yes, it was!!!A weatherstripping for the rear part of the vent window. And I had been wondering where to find one!!!!! This must be my lucky day!

The profile seems ok and the fitting was excellent.

Thanks John for your help. I just wish I could have said it in person.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 002.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 544
The last thing that need s to be taken care of is a small plastic kinda weatherstrip!!

Between the cromed frame and the glass is a small plastic U-channel where the glass mounts into the vent opening mecanism. On my car the glass was loose from the chrome so my question is if someone have had this problem too and how you solved it? I havent seen any restoration plastic u-channels.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 004.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 498
The oil pan for the transmission was not even close to be restored so I found an NOS one from Brad's. The pan is laser sharp but have some small surface rust. After cleaning the pan I found out that the oil pans were coated in cosmoline. I thought that Chrysler started using cosmoline in 1967 for the lower control arm so this was news to me!

Does anyone have any input in how this was applayed on the oil pan. Sprayed or dippped?

Attachments

• Torqueflite oil pan.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 478
  • Cosmoline.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 469
On the 65 Dart GT there is alot of stainless steel mouldings. Today I thought it was time to start with the mouldings around the rear window.

The small moulding was first in line. 1200 grit paper and three hours!! and the result was NOS!! The paper felt like a newspaper! But my shoulder hurts and my body says no no no! Well, I guess that the mouldings will take some time to do! But the result was NOS condition. I have never polished mouldings on this level before. It's not so fun but someone has to do it!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 004.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 491
Sanding,sanding, sanding. I'm just getting sick and tired of doing the centers for the wheel!

Anyway I found the firewall insulation pad. Do they reproduce these pads? My looks really messed up! I know that there should be difference between A/C cars and non A/C cars.

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 440
Anyway I found the firewall insulation pad. Do they reproduce these pads? My looks really messed up! I know that there should be difference between A/C cars and non A/C cars.

Any help is appriciated.

I bought a firewall pad set at the Nationals 2 years ago as I'm going to add factory AC to my 65 GT convertible. I've been contemplating adding factory AC to my Dart wagon so I bought another set at last years Nationals. The vendor was right next to my space but for the life of me, I can't remember who it was. I believe he's a vendor for one of the companies that will not sell you their stuff directly.

That'll be REM Automotive. They don't sell directly; you can buy anything they make through Dante's parts.

(and 65 Dartman, I wish you the best of luck. I also wish you a gallon of bourbon. You'll need both to add factory A/C. Did that on my '65…large, large pain in the rear.)

Thanks guys! Don! When I met you at the Nats back in 2009 I saw one too. Can that have been the same guy?

I think I will order the firewall pad from Dantes. Thanks Dan.

However I found out that Detroit Muscle wants the gasket that goes between the roof and the stainless steel moulding that holds the roof rail weatherstrip. Excellent, I just wondered where to get that one from! I have one that I will send to him so he have something to make a copy out of. Thanks for the tips Tim.

Did some 6 hours today polishing the stainless steel moulding that holds the roofrail weatherstrip. I have about 2 hours left and then they will be done.

It's a big difference between before and after!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 438
(and 65 Dartman, I wish you the best of luck. I also wish you a gallon of bourbon. You'll need both to add factory A/C. Did that on my '65…large, large pain in the rear.)

Thank you very much! Other than reworking the bulkhead area to change it from vertical to horizontal, it's pretty much done and everything fits very well.

Hey ulf check out my 65 dart charger i have for sale and tell me what you think and if my price is fair. Your car is looking good buddy when do you get it back from the body shop? Or did they already shoot it?

Hey ulf check out my 65 dart charger i have for sale and tell me what you think and if my price is fair. Your car is looking good buddy when do you get it back from the body shop? Or did they already shoot it?

Sure, no problem. I'll check it out for you. Re the body shop they are soon ready to shoot the red primer. But they have done some work too good!!!

I have shot some pictures for them so they get an idea how it should look. These pictures are from my old Dart 270 from 1965 that my friend Johan bought. If you look close you'll see all the profiles on the trunk lid. I havean extra used trunk lid that I need to use instead of the NOS one. It was hit on the wrong spot so they can't get it back to the shape it had from the beginning.

So tomorrow I will show them how it lookedand how the sound deadener should look like.

After many days of wondering I finally started to get off the bracket that was welded to the upper control arm. They never had it from factory but along the way someone added a bracket to the bumper.

I took the grinder and after 3 hours I was not so happy with what I saw!! I added somehours sanding down the surface so it look like stoch. So if I glass bead this control arm I will have a situation I have never been into before. If you glass bead the arm it will be light silver in color but all arms (and other parts as well) had a darker finish.

I have read somewhere that you can heat up the object and then put it in oil and then you get that darker finish.

Does anyone have any input how to get the right finish?

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 017.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 019.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 020.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 455
  • 021.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 411
  • 022.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 439
  • 003.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 421
You can heat steel objects to cherry-red then quench them in oil to create a blackish finish. I don't think it would be smart to do this to a structural steering/suspension component such as a control arm, as it would probably warp and weaken the part. If you're not interested in painting the control arms, look into a black steel patina, or perhaps black zinc.

I stopped by at Michaels work. Beside working as a teacher he and his son Alexander do knives. He told me that the structure can be damaged but try to very little heat up a steel plate and take a rag with engine oil on it. Check out the darkness on the plate. If it works I can do my upper control arm. Do not use linseed oil. It will be almost black!

Re the body I checked out my pictures with the work they had done and the right inner side was great. But the leftside was not started with.Now they have the pictures so they know how it should look when it was new.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 404
  • 002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 411
Hey Ulf if you need another control arm that's cherry I have one. I'm sure you have spares but if you get that intake ill send it to you free if you need it.

Ulf, this company should have the firewall pad. I know after talking to him at Chrysler at Carlisle in July, if he does not have it, he will reporeduce it from your original.

http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

I will send the gaskets for the roof rail, the gas filler tube and the gasket that goes between the brake shield and the steering knuckle and he will start to reproduce them! Thanks for tips, Tim!

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 025.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 374
  • 026.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 389
Man your tenacious. I have never seen anyone so detailed and its great stick to your guns. I know its a long road but its l like reading a book. Im watching :happy1:.

Good morning Ulf!! Well, its afternoon in Sweden so I guess its good afternoon!! LOL

I recieved your NOS power steering hose, I will get it to the post office later this week for you :glasses7:

Man your tenacious. I have never seen anyone so detailed and its great stick to your guns. I know its a long road but its l like reading a book. Im watching :happy1:.

Thanks for the kind words.

Honestly I must admiit that it would be hard doing such a restoration without help. Here at FABO I've gotten so much help that I didn't think I could find any where. It's beyond my wildest dreams!

I just found an NOS power steering return hose and it's correct ribbed. The seller just wanted to sell locally (US) but thanks to Keith I was able to buy it and have it shipped to heim and he will resend it to me. Thanks Keith!

Don has helped me several times with many parts I've been looking for, Tim helped me to get in contact with DMT to have some gaskets made, Dan is the master of finding all electrical stuff. He even found me NOS lamps for my car!!! And all the other members giving me a hand. All that help is so much appriciated.

So for you FABO members who have helped me out so far I just wanna say thank you so much. I hope I can return it some day.

I continued my polishing procedure tonight. The upper rear quarter moulding is held in place with seven clips. The nuts should be silver cadmium but what about the clips. Which finish did they have from the assembly line?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 357
-
Back