1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
^from what I've seen they were painted a green similar to olive green.

I agree with 1969 cudaman. In my opinion a perfect match would be olive drab in a spray paint used by plane/military vehicle modelers. Like you would buy at a hobby store...

Also, this may sound like a crazy idea, but in the past I have used notebook paper reinforcers for the studs. If you can find those over there. here in the states any place you can buy schools supplies you can find them. They are made to go over the holes in notebook paper and are made from a type of reinforced paper materiel. Two or three will be about the same thickness and they are already the same size..

Also, this may sound like a crazy idea, but in the past I have used notebook paper reinforcers for the studs. If you can find those over there. here in the states any place you can buy schools supplies you can find them. They are made to go over the holes in notebook paper and are made from a type of reinforced paper materiel. Two or three will be about the same thickness and they are already the same size..

Great idea Tim. Those reinforcements that is sold ik Sweden is white. When I have checked the other NOS clips I have they have two different kinds of seal.

The first one is black and goes "inside" the silver cad nut. The other version has some kind of white foam.

Would the paper reinforcement cover either of the two versions?

If you could find the right type of one it would cover the white foam one. The only other thing I think you could use is a very thin packing foam and cut them out yourself. You know, the kind of foam that is almost paper thin . I may even have some around here that I stash away when I receive something in the mail. Any shipping place should have it. By the way, the type of notebook reinforcer I am talking about is not the one's that are like paper but the better one's that are made with some type of reinforcement sandwiched between. almost like a canvas material.

After going though all my NOS clips and some other parts I found one NOS clips for theupper rear quarter moulding. Fromnow I know how it will look when it was new.

For the nut I found out that there os some kind of protection inside the nut tocover the hole so no water will leak through!! Was it some kind of rubber that was used?

When searching the clips I found out that I had 9 NOS clips for the hood moulding and the candy canes. How many was there as total?

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 473
  • 003.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 482
You could probably just use non hardening seam sealer or body caulk inside the nuts to prevent water leaks. What I have seen in the nuts appears to be white body caulk.

Just for fun Ulf, I'll snap some pics of my NOS Mopar trim clips and fasteners, I have a box full of them, many from the mid 60's.....some I know what they fit, some I don't....but maybe there are some in there that you can use :glasses7:

Chryslerfat! That was a good idea. I've never thought about that! I will glass bead the nuts before I'll ship them to US for right silver cad finish. But I will check the sealer ehich color it had from start. As a matter of fact I have some with wrong shape and it seems like is been filled into the nut.

Keith! I'm looking forward to the pictures! I might have some 66 stuff to trade with!

In my opinion a perfect match would be olive drab in a spray paint used by plane/military vehicle modelers. Like you would buy at a hobby store...

I think olive drab is probably a little too dark. The original material is Zinc Chromate paint, an anticorrosion compound. Read up on it here. It's still available.

I think olive drab is probably a little too dark. The original material is Zinc Chromate paint, an anticorrosion compound. Read up on it here. It's still available.

I would certainly never disagree with your impressive knowledge on this or any other subject pertaining to Chrysler Corp. built vehicles, but in my opinion, Zinc Chromate has more of a yellow tinge to it than what you see on the nos clips in the above pictures. Maybe it ages to an olive drab color after 40 years. my 1966 Coronet 500 conv that I restored years ago had what seemed like a million of those clips holding on all the trim. I guess in my old age I remember them being darker in color...

I've seen the bright yellow stuff too, but if you read the link I posted, you'll see it comes in a wide range of yellow-to-green colours depending on how much carbon black is in it. Do a Google image search for zinc chromate primer and you find images like this and this, which looks just about spot-on perfect for the ol' Mopar trim clips to my eye…yours?

I certainly see your point. Guess I should have taken more time and read the full article instead of a fast read...

See here for info on PAL nuts. I suspect the rubber seal grommet is available as an option when one is specifying PAL nuts.

Thanks Dan! I will check it up when I get back home. I might be able to buy new ones for my cars! Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!:blob:

How long were PAL suppliers for Chrysler?

Two weeks ago I bought an NOS battery hold down. That was the last item that I have been serached for re the battery and the tray.

First thing I found out is that repops have a smaller bent shaft between the both sides. 0,236 inch compare the 0,26 for factory ones. The rubber coating on the NOS one, the right one is not so shiny too.

The NOS one was hanged when the rubberised layer was applayed. There are several drip marks on the shaft as well as a big drip on the bottom that was cut away by the supplier.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 435
  • 002.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 421
  • 003.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 432
  • 001.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 439
After some hours in the partspile I found two NOS silver cad nuts with the sealer! I'm not sure what the sealer is! However the manufacturer of the nut are PAL. Not sure what it stands for.

Anyone have any info?

Ulf, I know for a fact I have a bunch of those NOS PAL nuts.....I will get pics later this afternoon for sure :glasses7:

A friend of mine in Stockholm sent me this picture of the broadcast sheet and a little tag that is glued on the backside of the fromt carpet. Does anyone have one of these where it says gold carpet. Interestingly there is a tag on the carpet for Valiant but the carpet has been in the same Dart 270 wagon since new!
When I replaced the carpet in my 67 Dart, I found a tag on both halves of the carpet, the front said Dart, the rear said Valiant.

When I replaced the carpet in my 67 Dart, I found a tag on both halves of the carpet, the front said Dart, the rear said Valiant.

It seems like they did that every once in a while! I don't think it was part of their job, things just happened. But it happens today too!

Do you have a picture of the tag? I will just check if it's close to mine.

I searched on the internet for the ignition coil. I'm almost done with it, just missing the coil. I found out that the 1964 Chrysler 300 K had the same coils as the 273 HPs. The 413cu 360 HP version had the same coilas some 273 HP Abodies and the 413cu 390 HP version had the same coils as some 273 HP A-bodies.

As you see on the pictures Chryslers own coils have different numbers too. So it can have been 4 different models!!!!

The broschure is the latest one I have found from Chrysler. As you see on the pictures the resonator was painted black but you can also see the unusual dubble clamp the holds the resonator to the tailpipe. Any one out there?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 425
  • 002.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 004.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 402
  • 005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 408
Here you go Ulf, I got all this with a bunch of NOS 62 Dodge Polara 500 trim, so some or all of this may be for that car, but the "PAL" nuts look spot on. I have a bunch of other clips in a box, just need to find that box LOL :banghead:

Attachments

• DSC07770.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC07771.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC07774.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC07775.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC07777.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC07769.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC07772.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC07773.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 398
Here you go Ulf, I got all this with a bunch of NOS 62 Dodge Polara 500 trim, so some or all of this may be for that car, but the "PAL" nuts look spot on. I have a bunch of other clips in a box, just need to find that box LOL :banghead:

Keith! What is the size on the head? To me it looks like 3/8" or 5/16". The nuts I'm looking for should have 3/8".

I know that in 1965 there were two kind of decals on the air cleaner lid. This is how the repop decal looks like. Does someone have a picture of the other style? It should be like a pie pan decal! I have seen one years ago but I'm not sure what was the difference? Was it just the assembly line or different plants that used different styles?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 349
During my research I have found out that Chrysler added oil filter decall on all the 1965 2 barrel air cleaner. But what about the 273 4 barrel air cleaner?

These are the ones that I have found. Was it all plants that used that decal or was it some line at different plants. But the question remains, which decal was used on the 273 HP engines?

Any help is appriciated.

Attachments

• 2265044-1946923.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 356
  • 2402672-2402677.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 2465160-1946923.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 346
Interesting question! Seems to me you'll have to refer to old magazine articles to see if you spot an air cleaner service instruction decal on a 1965 273-4bbl. One complication is that there does not appear to be a part number for the air cleaner assembly for a 273-4bbl; in '65, '66, and '67 it's serviced as the cover (14-29-7) and the element support plate (14-29-28) but not as an assembly (at least not one listed in the FPC). So...what part number would go on the upper portion of the decal?

2402 672 is the air cleaner for a 361-2bbl in '66, so that knocks the middle decal out of consideration.

Then, the FPC is vague on the P/N for the filter element in a 273-4bbl in 1965. It implies it's 1949 623 (and the '67 FPC out-and-out says so), so that knocks out the 2nd decal you post.

2265 044 doesn't appear in any FPC I check, but 2265 045 appears as "COVER, air cleaner, w/ power package" for B-body with V8 engine in 1963.

2465 160 doesn't appear in any FPC I check, but 2465 159 appears as "PLATE, [air cleaner] Element Support, w/273-4bbl w/CAP" in the 1967 FPC, where it is denoted as a change since the previous FPC publication. So given that, and the element listing, I think the 3rd decal you show is probably the correct one, or else it's as damn close as you'll get without custom work. I note also that the third decal has the Mopar stylised "M" logo that was in use in 1965, but the first and second decals have the older MoPar logotype with the horizontal lines above the "o", the "a", and the "r".

About twenty years ago, one maker of these decals, when I was poking around in his selection asking why the FPC P/Ns didn't match the numbers on the decals for the listed applications, told me "Air cleaner part numbers are a big mess. Some of them weren't listed, some of them weren't listed as assemblies but only as components, some of those had assembly part numbers that just weren't listed...a big mess. I make a reasonable effort to have decals that include at least one number, for at least one part of the air cleaner, the cover or the baseplate or the element, that is known to be correct for the years and models I list them for. Some of them will happen to be fully correct for a specific application, but most of the time it's a 'close enough' situation unless someone comes to me with specific P/Ns they want on a decal and they're ready to buy at least 250 of them."

But if you come up with different P/Ns and want a decal made, send me an email and I'll put you in touch with the folks who made these for me.

TodayI checked all the air cleaners that I have, 2 4 bbl and 3 2 bbl. The 4 bbl didn't have any at all. The 2 bbbl air cleaners did have a decal. This is how they look like. They are different. The part number in the right upper corner is different!!

Anyone got any pictues of the decal on 4 bbl air cleaners!

Dan! If I just find a good decal I will be in contact with you.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 002.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 345
-
Back