1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I finally got the right front roof rail moulding done. After I added it I was frustrated!! The right side has a 90 degree cut out on the lower section of the moulding while the left side does not!!!!!!!

My brother in laws 1965 Dart has both sides 90 degree cut out. I searched the partsbook but there was only one partnumber for 1965 and 1966 Dart GT hardtop. 2584 434/5.

Does any other 65 Dart owners has this remarkable set up??

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 637
  • 003.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 646
good work Ulf dont stop it !

Thanks Uli! No I will not stop. I just hope I can have it ready in mid-June! But we'll see.

But I was able to get a super great upper radiator hose from Gates. No 20386 will work just great. I cleaned away the Gates name and the stripes and the numbers. Now I just need to get a new stamp RAD END and the part#.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 618
Finally both torsion bars are in place! I mounted them the way they came. The track in the raer of the arm is mounted in a 45 degree way. I'm satiesfied with how it turned out. Now I'm just waiting for the upper control arm bumper before I add the UCA:s.

I cleaned the factory bolts holding the prop shaft in place and I found out that they did paint splots on both the bolts and the U-bolt clamps. The paint must be some kind of paint that Chrysler used on other cars.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 597
  • 002.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 003.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 004.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 605
  • 007.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 604
New bolts, nuts and screws arrived from Eric. As always he did an excellent job. I must admit that his work is top notch!

I mounted the tail lights with the right nuts and now it looks just as it did from factory. Thanks to Dan (slantsixdan) I was able to mount the correct light bulb too!! Hats off Dan!

The last candy cane was a walk in the park to add to the front. Now I just need the chrome!!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 566
  • 001.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 002.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 554
mine gas that chrome notched on both sides. one side it touches the loer piece of chrome, other sides is 3/8 in away!???? mopar standard of fitment!???? LOL

Interesting that they're the 624/625 bars, that is standard-duty suspension with V8 engine. I would've been less surprised to find 626/627s or 628/629s (heavy-duty) on a 273-4bbl car.

Dan! Those seems to have been stock on the Dartchargers. All cars that I have checked has the standard suspension, standard transmission, even if they should have the 273x4 tranny and the standard shocks. My car had the standard shocks, standard rear springs, standard front torsion bars (dated 1964) and standard 273x3 transmission!!

I added all the bulbs on the car. Thanks to the shopmanual I was a walk in the park! Thankis to you Dan I was easy since the NOS bulbs you sent me had the samemarkings on the box compare to the parts manual. Herein Europé we have a totally different system on how to get the right bulb. Dan! You can probably explain that system better then I can!!

Added the brass rings on the brake hoses so hopefully tomorrow I can start to fillup the brake system with some brake fluid.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 536
  • 004.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 514
  • 007.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 521
Herein Europé we have a totally different system on how to get the right bulb. Dan! You can probably explain that system better then I can!!

Oh, just a little around the edges.

57: T4W
67: R5W
90: No official Euro, but R5W on BA15d base (Philips 12822, Osram 5407, Narva 17172)
158: W3W
168: W5W
1034: P21/5W
1072: P21W
1095: No European equivalent (and obsolete in USA)
1004: Same as 90
1445: No official Euro, but 2W version of T4W (Philips 12913, Osram 3796, Narva 17053)
1891: Same as 1445
1892: Same as 1445
1893: T4W

(In case you run out of NOS American bulbs and need a fast replacement)
redbeard.gif

Oh, just a little around the edges.

57: T4W
67: R5W
90: No official Euro, but R5W on BA15d base (Philips 12822, Osram 5407, Narva 17172)
158: W3W
168: W5W
1034: P21/5W
1072: P21W
1095: No European equivalent (and obsolete in USA)
1004: Same as 90
1445: No official Euro, but 2W version of T4W (Philips 12913, Osram 3796, Narva 17053)
1891: Same as 1445
1892: Same as 1445
1893: T4W

(In case you run out of NOS American bulbs and need a fast replacement)
redbeard.gif

Thanks Dan! I've already sent this list out to some of my friends. Great help for us over here in Europe.

After adding the front brake hoses I found out that I don't have the front clips holding the hoses to the bracket. I searched on ebay and found two styles. They are the same but the finish is different. Ihave a blackphosphated on the rear brake hose.

So my question to the FABO world is if some one know what finish they came with?

Thanks FABO!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKn!E2S(rF!cmBNoeCV2YO!~~_12.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 484
  • $_12.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 474
After adding the front brake hoses I found out that I don't have the front clips holding the hoses to the bracket. I searched on ebay and found two styles. They are the same but the finish is different. Ihave a blackphosphated on the rear brake hose.

So my question to the FABO world is if some one know what finish they came with?

Thanks FABO!

According to Roger Gibson the brake hose clips should be black zinc and I was able to buy three from him. Yes!

I have added the prop.shaft correctly so now the challenge is to find the right blue paint splot color!!

The parking brake wires from the rear wheels is mounted but not the wire between them. It seems like one end was yellow painted for some reason. I will measure but can it be left or right side?

The nut that adjust the parking brake has a special lock stamped into it!

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 482
  • 009.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 486
Stoped by Gorans tire shop in Vannasby. He has done an incredible job with the test tire. He turned the tire balancing machine into a lathe and could get the white wall width 7/8". It looks awesome! Now I need to get into the wheels and cut away the hooks that was welded to the rim on the inside.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 431
Even if it's Easter holiday in Sweden the work must continue! Today the work was focused on the bronze casted DartCharger emblems. These emblems will be the ones that willbe mounted on the center caps on the Cragar S/S rims. After hours of polishing they are done. The result was excellent so now I will ship them off to the chrome shop.

My friend Johan did an excellent job on doing the small rings that goes around the Dartcharger front fender emblems. He did some serious hours into making one set for me and one for himself. They turned out great!

So now I just need to make a small package for the chrome guys in Borlange!But it's only 7 weeks left.....! :banghead:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 442
  • unnamed2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 422
  • unnamed.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 432
  • unnamed1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 431
The heater box is connected to all the wires. Just need tofind those small lock rings! Even the bracket for the defroster wire is NOS!

The Cragar rims was hanged in the chrome bath while the chrome was added. Not I had to grind of those hooks.

The screws and nuts for the front hood ornament and the hood handle is in place. Hood is done!

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 007.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 006.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 005.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 003.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 002.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 001.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 430
When I was working on the car I waslucky to find a NOS trunk lid. Well,the body guys at schooll did their job with the body and Mikael and Togga did the paint. I just mounted the trunk and adjusted it. BUT, I never ever thought of the place for the DODGE letters! The standard line Dart has the letters on the trunk between the tail lights. The Dart 270 line has the same place for the letters but they have framed it with an upper and lover moulding too. On the Dart GT there is a upper and lower moulding between the tail lights but between the mouldings is a finish plate. On the upper part of the trunk is the DODGE letters. On the GT models is the holes for the letters between the tail light covered with tejp.

SO my big mistake this time was that I did not drill the holes before the paint!!Not for the upper DODGE letters as well as the holes for the upper and lower mouldings between the tail lights. :banghead: So I guess that I need to fill the holes with some kind of paint inside the hole so it doesn't rust. :banghead::banghead:

The DART letters on the sides is Another story. I waspretty sure that the D letter was the same on top of trunk as well and the ones on the quarter panel. NOT!!:banghead: SO this means that I need to find two D letters for the quarter panels as well as one D on the trunk!

I also got the gaskets fro the outside door handles from Detroit Musclecar Technologies, DMT. What a true craftmanship they do. Their products is awesome.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 004.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 003.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 005.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 394
  • l.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 397
Looks good Ulf. I have enjoyed your build so much as well as many of us have. It will be fun to see it completed. tmm

About a year ago Mopar Action (can't remember what issue) had an article about putting hood pins on a current Dodge Challenger. To restrict corrosion from the holes drilled in the hood they suggested brushing on some "zinc-Rich galvanizing compound" from an aerosol can. This might be a good approach to use on the deck lid for the holes you need to add for the DODGE letters.

Thanks for the nice comments tmm! Glad you like it and hopefully I can inspire other too!

SSVDP, thanks for the tips. That might the way to go!

Tonight I did a reproduction of a aluminium piece that I'm not sure what it's for. Anyway now they are in place!

The polishing of the rear upper mouldings on the rear glass is a killer. I just hate it! Wish I had let someone do them!

Attachments

• unnamed4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 335
  • unnamed3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 340
  • unnamed 1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 342
I was forced to change the front roof rail moulding on the left side before adding the stainless steel roof rail weatherstrip holder. At least it's the same style on each side now!

After searching for the insulation that goes between the body and the roof rail weatherstrip holder I stopped by the lumber yard. It turned out that they had a insulation moulding walls standing on concreate floor. The style was dead on so I bount 10 feet and with sometrimming it alllooks as it did. The insulation was glued on the backside of the moulding for easy mounting.

Tomorrow I will search for the new screws and add them before mounting the new roof rail weatherstrip. Now I also know why that aluminium plate I added last night is for. It seems like it's there to like an extensionon the Stainless steel roof rail moulding. Might be for air or noice reduction.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 001.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 009.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 008.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 325
The DART letters on the sides is Another story. I waspretty sure that the D letter was the same on top of trunk as well and the ones on the quarter panel. NOT!!:banghead: SO this means that I need to find two D letters for the quarter panels as well as one D on the trunk!

I will look and see if I have any extra "D" letters. Do you know if the "D"'s that are on a wagon tailgate are the same? I've acquired a nice tailgate with the electric window to swap with my rotted out one on my wagon (which has
" D O D G E" spelled out. I will probably not use the letters on the replacement trunk lid.

Matter of fact I have all the lettering and the Fo exhaust trim for the lower front doors as well

-
Back