1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Heater and radiator hoses, PCV valve hose: Round-wire Corbin clamps

PCV breather hose, fuel hose: Flat spring clamps

Brake booster vacuum hose: I…ya got me! I'm not sure which of those two types was used.

My 65 has corbin clamps on the brake booster hoses.

Do you have the corbin clamps on both ends between the check valve and the brake booster? What about the hose between the brake booster and the reseroir?

Dan! Thanks for the resume of the clamps!

Yes at all points mentioned.

Chryslerfat! Interesting. I know that I've seen cars with that too. But look what I found in a vintage magazine from 1965. No clamps at all!! They sure did it different back then.

Attachments

• unnamed 15.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 563
  • unnamed 14.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 550
Today I recieved the fuel filter for the gas tank gauge. It added perfectly with new ring and gasket. I even found out that I had sent my old ground strap for new finish!!!! The clamps that holds the hose between the gas tank gauge and the gas tank was black phosphated.

I even had the time to get the clamps holding the fuel line in place. I found out that they were added and bent 90 degrees to be in place so that was what I did.

The prop shaft is in place too at the front but I need to find mint used on the rear end side.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 552
  • 006.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 567
  • 005.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 545
  • 002.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 563
  • 001.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 564
This spring which rt specialites has for sale is this model the correct one? I'm pretty sure I've seen two models!!

Attachments

• opi.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 526
That is the 1966+ jack stowage spring with the full loop at the left end. The 1965-down spring has at both ends a hook similar to what we see on the right side of this '66-up spring.

(Not sure what you mean by the fuel hose clips being bent 90°, but wow, does the underside of that car look fantastic!)

That is the 1966+ jack stowage spring with the full loop at the left end. The 1965-down spring has at both ends a hook similar to what we see on the right side of this '66-up spring.

(Not sure what you mean by the fuel hose clips being bent 90°, but wow, does the underside of that car look fantastic!)

Dan! Do you know if someone repop them?

Tonight I got the overflow pipe for the fuel filler neck. It looks mint. But I have a question: Why is the clamps on the hose between the over flow pipe and the fuel filler neck painted red?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 504
Yup, red clips on my '65, too.

As for the jack spring: as far as I know the pre-'66 type is not reproduced. I might have one floating around in my boxes of miscellaneous frass; I'll have a look.

Dan and tmm! I think after following your discussion that I must find a used one, glass bead it and get a new finish on it! Thanks for shedding some light on this. That's why FABO rocks!

I did some cleaning, glass beading on the clips for the bolts for the rear bumper brackets. They turned out Nato green and is now in Place as they should.

The gasket for the fuel tank neck was trimmed and put in place before mounting it to the quarter panel. NOS gas cap on top of that did it!

The fuel overflow pipe is inplace as it should. Now I just need to get the right clips and find out where to put them.....!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 003.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 002.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 467
  • 008.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 466
  • 001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 490
NOS gas cap is pretty, but here's another point I suspect we might already have discussed in this lonnnnnnng thread. I suppose this could vary by build plant, but (on cars from some/most/all plants?) the factory-installed cap was fully painted body colour in 1965. The service replacement gas cap—2074 054, the one you're showing here—is identical except it's chromed so it goes fine right out of the box with any car colour.

(My favourite factory A-body gas cap finish is as found on the '60 Valiant and possibly some other early A-bodies: car-colour cap body, chrome handle bar).

NOS gas cap is pretty, but here's another point I suspect we might already have discussed in this lonnnnnnng thread. I suppose this could vary by build plant, but (on cars from some/most/all plants?) the factory-installed cap was fully painted body colour in 1965. The service replacement gas cap—2074 054, the one you're showing here—is identical except it's chromed so it goes fine right out of the box with any car colour.

(My favourite factory A-body gas cap finish is as found on the '60 Valiant and possibly some other early A-bodies: car-colour cap body, chrome handle bar).

Dan!

I agree with you. But I think it's the only way to get a gas cap with everything right on the inside of the cap. I've searched over 20 years for an unpainted one but no luck! Herein Sweden the chromed cap was the only alternative on the GT. Not sure about US!

I started to add the exhaust system today. I ended with the muffler. I need the hanger badly. I only have on for the 273 2 bbl engine.

I was able to get all the cotter pins on the steering and now I can start with the splash shield towards the engine compartment.

The rear parking brake system is in place. Looking good with the red tab on the front ends of the wires. Got some cleaning to do above the wiresafter welding the plates on the "wagon".

Does anyone know how the saddle clamp looks on 1965 and 1966 A-bodies? This is the only I have part#1603 364!

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 007.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 002.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 006.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 468
  • 005.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 458
  • 004.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 449
  • 003.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 456
  • 001.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 465
After searching the whole weekend for the plastic hole protector I was able tolocate it.It was in a plastic bag tightened ourund the old wires!!! :banghead:

Now it'sin place with the clips holding the wiring too!

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 435
  • 012.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 435
Errr...what about painting the chrome cap? :)

There's no part number for a painted cap; the service replacements were chrome-only.

To paint the cap is one way to do it but when I checked out the cap it has chrome on the inside. I'm not sure how well the fuel caps were painted back in the days. If I paint the front side of the cap it will be chrome on the backside. And I'm not sure it could be correct to disassemble the cap before painting it and then weld the thing back together!

The best way would be to found an assembly line cap and then have it painted. But those assembly line stuff don't grow on trees....!

The wiring system under hood is done and complete now. Al the stuff is there incl all the small part number tags. I added the heater hose clamps too so now it looks the way it did back in early 65.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 421
  • 010.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 011.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 432
To paint the cap is one way to do it but when I checked out the cap it has chrome on the inside. I'm not sure how well the fuel caps were painted back in the days.

Not very well -- the inside was primed and whatever overspray might've got on the inside stayed there.

If I paint the front side of the cap it will be chrome on the backside.

True, but it'll look right on the outside. :)

The best way would be to found an assembly line cap and then have it painted. But those assembly line stuff don't grow on trees....!

Unfortunately true. :-(

The hose clamps look terrific.

Not very well -- the inside was primed and whatever overspray might've got on the inside stayed there.

True, but it'll look right on the outside. :)

Unfortunately true. :-(

The hose clamps look terrific.

Yepp the clamps looks good. However re the cap I'm not sure what to do. I'll give it a thought. I have some movie pictures from Gomers Pyle episode #513. Check it out at Youtube. That car has a chromed gas cap! Might be an aftermarket. Search for

Gomer Pyle USMC 513 Hit And Write

I assembled the left torsion bar with everything. Looks good, but it was a greasy job.

The VIN tag needs some polish but I wonder how they spot welded it in place!! This will be a tricky thing to weld back in place.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 001.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Skärmklipp.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 414
  • 003.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 391
Hey, I remember that episode—we talked about it in this thread last year. That episode first aired on 27 December 1968, and the plot centres around quarter panel damage to a blue 1968 Valiant. At 1:15, we can see that the yellow Dart's chrome gas cap's handle bar does not sit horizontally as a factory cap's would; it's at an angle. That'll be an aftermarket cap, then:

Gomer_Pyle_Gascap.png

After searching the Internet about the spot weld process anout the VIN tag I've come to an dead end road! Any FABO members out there that have some info about this process?

I have one of these and this is the type of spot welder they would have used. Search Lenco spot welder there may be one near you.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENCO-LENCOSPOT-MARK-II-L-4000-SPOT-WELDER-480-VOLTS-SINGLE-PHASE-/161219758108?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item258972481c"]Lenco Lencospot Mark II L 4000 Spot Welder 480 Volts Single Phase | eBay[/ame]

I have one of these and this is the type of spot welder they would have used. Search Lenco spot welder there may be one near you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENCO-LENCO...61219758108?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item258972481c

I called a friend ofmine working for Volvo service and he might have what I'm looking for.Thanks Chryslerfat!

I've been looking for an upper radiator hosefor a long time.All the NOS suppliers does not have it. Does anyone know if a speedshop store manufacture or sell something very stock looking? It must have the same pattern as they had from factory. I can restamp them and redo the lines but the pattern is themost important.

I found an old factory one so you get the idea how it's routed. The pattern can be shown in picture 4 and the last picture is a NOS lower radiator hose for a slant six! Not sure which one of the has the correct pattern but I asume picture number 4 is the right one.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 002.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 003.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 005.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 007.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 354
-