1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Keith! Is that one standard 65 Dart? That surface rusty thing looks like a direct drive. I might be wrong. I'll check the partsbook first thing in the morning.

Not sure, got it with a bunch of NOS stuff, if you can let me know what exactly it is, I just did a Google search on the number and that is what I found. Thanks!!

I just bought a set of NOS rear shocks on FABO. Yipeee! Now I need the front ones. I have a set of the early style for 1960 to 1962 for sale if someone needs them.

Took the breather for the rear end apart. Took a while but now it's done. The left part should be yellow dichromated and the har zinc cad.

The lower strap or bracket for the alternator is another story. When I bought this car there was two of them and they are different. What kind do you have? Any help is appriciated.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

Assembly plant matters. Mine is assembled in La in January 1965. I checked with my convertible and it's the same as well as my Hamtramck built Dart 270 from October 1964. The other one might be early 318 big block or something.

Thanks for the help.

I got the next shipment from US today. Boy, what great job he is doing! Can't believe it!

Anyway got the clips for the accelerator pedal. Now it looks like it should. I also added the nuts for the bracket. Now that part is ready. Thanks for the help guys re the clip..

All the parts for the parking brake is done. Now I need to put it together. Well, efter some work I had a spare to compare to. After starting the assembly procedure I found out that I don't know how Darts from different plants had the bracket mounted. Was is spot welded or mounted with screw and nut?

It seems like the braket was painted the same color as the instrument panel but the slide yoke was painted black.

The parking brake handle, did it come black or black with white text?

I did shoot some paint on the slide yoke so tomorrow I know what to do.

On my 270 Dart from Hamtramck the bracket was welded as well as painted the same color as the instrument panel. The slide yoke was black.

You guys out there with LA built cars, how is your bracket and slide yoke look like?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

The raised letters are painted white, I think they reproduce the plastic handle too. If yours is nice you could buff it with some rubbing compound to remove some scratches, then wax it. I did this with some 59 Dodge arm rests for my dad, they turned out really nice.

The raised letters are painted white, I think they reproduce the plastic handle too. If yours is nice you could buff it with some rubbing compound to remove some scratches, then wax it. I did this with some 59 Dodge arm rests for my dad, they turned out really nice.

Keith! Do you know where to get them? Mine is really bad. Not cracked but have olot of marks.

Assembled the slip yoke. After some work it was together. Looks fine. A friend stopped by and gave me some A-body stuff. In that pile was a parking brake handle!!!! After two hours of polishing this is how it turned out. I need a new one. Anyone having a handle in mint condition for sale?

Keith! Where did you see these for sale?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Did some checking on the brake booster hoses. They have markings. Actuallt two of them. The vacuum brake hose from the brake booster to the vacuum reservoir has a marking "VACUUM BRAKE HOSE ED". The vacuum hose from the brake booster to the check valve has the marking "VACUUM BRAKE HOSE" followed by "Gates 11".

The fuel line from the fuel line to the fuel pump has markings as well. The hose is marked with "ED".

So the BIG question is;

Is it possible to find these hoses? I might consider a used fuel line in perfect condition that can be conditioned with some kind of stuff.

Checked the rear brake hose too. It's stamped with DPCD marks and AO for 1964. Anyone seen that brake hose lately?

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

Has anyone seen these plastic insulators for the rear springs?
The part# is 18 29 929. I need four of them.

Continued with my "one out of one" test bench for breaking in the cam. After that I can start the painting process. Don, look how nice the Y-pipe works! The old man let me use it before he mounts it on his car.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

I don't think they make the e-brake handle, the one I thought it was was the 67-up style, I didn't know they were different. I will look at mine, I thought it was really nice, if it is I would be happy to offer it to you :D

Like it was made for an early A with V8 with stock 65 manifolds!

You are so right on that one.

But I need some information. I was fortunate to buy the plastic insulators for the rear springs today. But, which side are the high end of the insulators? I think the inside due to splach from the wheel on the oposite side. That would prevent water to get between the leafs. But that's just my idea.

I was thinking of reproducing the paint marks on the lower control arms after Christmas eve. Does anyone else have these paint markings on the lower control arms? This is the left arm and it goes vertical. On the right side the markings were horizontal.

I also had a big yellow paint spolt on the K-frame. Anyone seen it? I was thinking of the reason, could it be evidence that the engine and K-frame were intended for the DartCharger?

View attachment Bild 001.jpg

View attachment Bild 018.jpg

View attachment ICCA 030.jpg

Regarding the brake handle, I bought a reproduction version of mine (1971 Dart GT) and was really disappointed with the lack of quality of it. I pulled and restored my original one and am glad I did.
Just my 2 cents worth.

If it helps, Detroit Muscle Technology has a nice (and thorough) heater box and firewall gasket kit.

If it helps, Detroit Muscle Technology has a nice (and thorough) heater box and firewall gasket kit.

Yup, I got their gasket kit for my firewall and tail lights, very nice stuff!!! BUT....the foam material was different than the original, it was thicker and smooth, very high quality. The original stuff was thinner, porus and rough. May have to make your own or find NOS for a restoration like this one :D

Ulf, do you have any of these gaskets? You could buy the repop kit from DMT and use them as patterns to make new ones, then resell the DMT kit here.

Yup, I got their gasket kit for my firewall and tail lights, very nice stuff!!! BUT....the foam material was different than the original, it was thicker and smooth, very high quality. The original stuff was thinner, porus and rough. May have to make your own or find NOS for a restoration like this one :D

Ulf, do you have any of these gaskets? You could buy the repop kit from DMT and use them as patterns to make new ones, then resell the DMT kit here.

You guys are right. I don't have it but I will check in on their website to buy one kit. Is the whole isolation included? I have the black plastic pins.

No insulation included, not sure if you can even get it or not. I think they make the black clips for it though, I may have some extras.

You guys are right. I don't have it but I will check in on their website to buy one kit. Is the whole isolation included? I have the black plastic pins.

On that note, the DMT clips are slightly different than the OEM's.

If you need any clips, I saved (most of) mine and you can have them. They have minor surface rust and can be reconditioned with minimal effort. These are original 1965 (Dart) but there are no identifying marks on them that I can tell.

View attachment heater box clips.jpg

-
Back