1965 Dodge dart..gas cap desperation!!! calling all experts!

-

banda13

Reaction score
Hey all! Finally got my dream dart....Taking baby steps towards a poor man restoration. My next step is a gas cap and OMG! Hubby and I have been all over the place looking for a cap that fits. Right now it has one that kinda fits and the seal is disintegrating. It looks like it might be a motorcycle cap. EVERY single cap we try from the parts stores (yes...all of them) have been too big. Even the ones that supposedly fit a 65 dart. So what's the deal? Does this year just have a weird size? I wouldn't be too worried about it excepting that it seems we are having some vapor lock issues....car will start and drive great then out of the blue just die (like it's not getting gas).
so school me please! lol
thanks!
ash
:prayer:

Check out Ebay. I think the brand is Stant. Cheap too. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

yeah, we looked at all the stuff on ebay. the prob is that these gas caps DON'T actually fit. i even checked wtth stant and they don't have any listed as being compatible, we have even tried cross referenced types of the stants at napa, o'rielly and autozone. No luck.

You need a original cap. You can find them on E-bay, here on FABO and you can order a new one from Laysons Restorations. (don't shoot me guys)

dam raider makes a custom aluminum one for those-- nice price & fit -- search early a body gas caps, Lawrence

ok well u could use a 68 bcuda cap the ''flip top'' cap theres a guy on here that make an adapter for them thats what im goin goin to run on my barracuda

Hey all! Finally got my dream dart....Taking baby steps towards a poor man restoration. My next step is a gas cap and OMG! Hubby and I have been all over the place looking for a cap that fits. Right now it has one that kinda fits and the seal is disintegrating. It looks like it might be a motorcycle cap. EVERY single cap we try from the parts stores (yes...all of them) have been too big. Even the ones that supposedly fit a 65 dart. So what's the deal? Does this year just have a weird size? I wouldn't be too worried about it excepting that it seems we are having some vapor lock issues....car will start and drive great then out of the blue just die (like it's not getting gas).
so school me please! lol
thanks!
ash
:prayer:

Your vapor lock could be due to the vent line being clogged in the fuel filler neck. The 65's didn't have vented caps. They seal up tight to the filler neck. There is a small vent line that comes into the side of the filler neck to vent the tank.
I just had to clean mine out just a few weeks ago.

I've got a stock one (I think), an aftermarket locking one (but no key), and one of Damraider's custom ones. In the end I don't need any of them as the Valiant is going to get scrapped as soon as I find a trailer to put it on.

I new to the board. Whats up with Laysons?

be advised to avoid
unless you like high prices and bad service
oh yea and buying parts they don't actually have and may never get
(of course they don't tell you this, they just keep your money)

OOf, anyone that retails Harolds $185 Early A "spitfire" headers for $450 has a soft spot for the hobby, really soft.

Try grinding the tabs on a Stant, worked for me.

Back to the vapor lock issue.....the Slant Six Forum site has the details on 3 things to make vapor lock disappear:
1) installing a vapor line from the carb inlet back to the tank
2) rerouting fuel pump to carb fuel line to minimize heat transfer to the fuel
3) using a thick carb gasket to minimze heat transfer to the carb base

I've done all three & the issue is now gone

Your gas cap problem won't cause that problem but the mentioned gas tank vent line at the filler tube could be rusting severely & restrict venting which effects fuel pump operation.

-
Back