1965 Dodge Dart Speedometer

-

PA65Dart

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge Dart with the original speedometer. I am told this hooks to the transmission with a cable to work properly. It doesn't provide accurate information.

I would like to replace it with a gauge that has a speedometer and tachometer in one.

Anybody know of such a gauge that works with a cable?

Can I use an electronic one? How does it get converted?

Any help is appreciated.

I have a 1965 Dodge Dart with the original speedometer. I am told this hooks to the transmission with a cable to work properly. It doesn't provide accurate information.

You have been told correct in that it uses a cable from the transmission to the speedo. That cable at the transmission end is much different than later cables and uses a hard-to-find gear. Do you have the correct speedometer gear? Tire size equivalent to the original 13 inch size?

I would like to replace it with a gauge that has a speedometer and tachometer in one.

Any help is appreciated.

Check out the Speedhut gauge line. Many of their speedometers include a tach and they are - as far as I know- electric. You will probable need to modify your cluster to mount it though

Any help is appreciated.
What's the scoop? Does it work but it's just inaccurate
The op hasn't been online here since he asked the question. I'm outta here!

13, 15, 12....it all depends on the overall diameter/height of the tire in question. 50 series 16 could be the same height as a 75 series 13...the speedo was calibrated to the OEM tire height of the model via its plastic gear. Its (very) roughly the tooth count /10 for the rear end ratio you are running...ie. a 27 tooth speedo gear is pretty close to a 2.76 rear, 39=3.91, etc. 'just a junkyard find formula but it works pretty good even when looking at the OEM part numbers. you may be able to get a universal style that uses a pickup off a driveshaft or something.

FYI, it's a double screw on ferule, not a later bayonet mount. and you can get the square end cables and cut them to length so all you really need is the correct housing. I pull them from any early A I find, and that has only been 3 as that seems the first thing to go.

Thanks for all of your cometns.

The speedometer runs but does not light up at night even with a new bulb

When the GPS says I am doing 60, the speedometer says I am doing 70. the faster I go, the more it is off. If I do 40, it may only be off 5 mph

I took the car for a ride. When it was complete, the odometer said I went 62.9 miles but the GPS odometer said I went 69.9 miles

The tires are 185/70R13

So I have a mechanical speedo and a mechanical tach (aftermarket on the post). I want to integrate the tach into the speedo for a more original look

Can you do a mechanical to electric conversion??

BTW - Sorry I did not reply right away - I was supposed ot get emails as people post but I have not received any

The gauges from speedhut look nice - anyone have experience with the gps gauges? what happens if they lose the signal?

You have a couple of options. If you pick a speedometer that is electric.
Dakota digital make a convertor box that attaches to you old speedometer cable and converts it to electric signal to operate the new electric speedometer. Or your other choice is to pick a gauge that is GPS compatible.

You have a couple of options. If you pick a speedometer that is electric.
Dakota digital make a convertor box that attaches to you old speedometer cable and converts it to electric signal to operate the new electric speedometer. Or your other choice is to pick a gauge that is GPS compatible.
Thanks prrc

You have been told correct in that it uses a cable from the transmission to the speedo. That cable at the transmission end is much different than later cables and uses a hard-to-find gear. Do you have the correct speedometer gear? Tire size equivalent to the original 13 inch size?

Check out the Speedhut gauge line. Many of their speedometers include a tach and they are - as far as I know- electric. You will probable need to modify your cluster to mount it though
Thanks 65 Dartman
I think I am going to go with the GPS speedo/tach from Speedhut
I just need to check the dash to see how to make it fit

Yes they are. My other Dart got a 318 and 15 inch wheels so there is no telling how off it's going to be.
Thanks Nileswine
Last year I went from the original 273 to a 360
One year will be the rear, 15" (or more) tires, & disc brake conversion
Only so much to budget in a year

Thanks Nileswine
Last year I went from the original 273 to a 360
One year will be the rear, 15" (or more) tires, & disc brake conversion
Only so much to budget in a year
I did 15's and discs all the way around. Dying to get it on the road. Hoping it will have enough attitude for me. I don't need to win races, I just want to drive and smile.

I did 15's and discs all the way around. Dying to get it on the road. Hoping it will have enough attitude for me. I don't need to win races, I just want to drive and smile.

You got that right - it's all about the cruise (but a little punch just for fun)

You might want to call these guys. OE-Style Speedometer Cable for 1960-1965 MoPar A-Body I have bought these cables from them because i have 2 65 Darts. They are very helpful.
how would you go about removing the cable? Ive gotten under my 65 dart and and found where the cable goes into the transmission, I can also see a small metal hook held on by a nut. After removing the hook, the cable does not want to come out. Is there something else I need to do in order to remove it? I don't want to pull too hard in fear of breaking the cable or something within the transmission. It seems to be stuck in there and has no play room.

how would you go about removing the cable? Ive gotten under my 65 dart and and found where the cable goes into the transmission, I can also see a small metal hook held on by a nut. After removing the hook, the cable does not want to come out. Is there something else I need to do in order to remove it? I don't want to pull too hard in fear of breaking the cable or something within the transmission. It seems to be stuck in there and has no play room.
I had someone else put mine on so I don't know. Call the company and ask them. They are super helpful.

-
Back